The Golden Compass

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

The Golden Compass

Postby Oprah » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:32 pm

Loved the book, as well as The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass. Looking forward to the movie. I recommended the series to my kids. They liked it and told their friends about it. Looks like I'm going to hell.

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Golden Compass

Postby mrak » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:41 pm

Oprah wrote:Looks like I'm going to hell.

I miss the good old days when the Church actually branded films "Condemned".

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:50 pm

The Church has always been pissed and jealous that it can't have all the magick and occult power to itself.
And all the fearful bluster over silly tame "magickal" fluff stuff like Harry Potter.
Pullman is a bit deeper and edgier but still not the demonic handbook of mayhem for children they fear.
If anything they should be afraid of kids thinking critically and logically without stooping to chimerical fire escapes and sleight of mind bullshit that orthodox religion sells.
We need more Tolkiens and Rowlings and Pullmans and Swanwicks to re-mythologize the Judeo-Christian rut we've gotten stuck in.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:21 pm

No greater magician than Moses.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:54 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:No greater magician than Moses.

Well, except for Benny Hinn and that dude in the dress they call Benadick.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:52 pm

Exactly.
My early realization that Jesus was a wandering sorcerer got me into deep ideological trouble in school and especially with my mom.
After excitedly explaining that passing through walls and walking on water, along with the Old Testament tricks like turning staffs into snakes, was not only "supernatural magic just like the demons do" but also very cliche run-of-the-mill magic tricksand illusions that have been performed by Indian fakirs years before and during Christ's day.
So how do we know if it's evil or good magic, let alone if it's even real?
Seriously: a couple days later I got a phone call from our pastor wondering if I needed to talk about anything.......
Good times. Sort of medieval.

uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby uwstudent » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:26 pm

I kept waiting for the polar bear to drink out of a Coke bottle. (Nicole Kidman was hot tho)

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:35 pm

I don't think the church cares about the magic in the story so much as the fact that the entire story was conceived as a "humanist" version of the chronicles of narnia, and it has a lot of blatant criticisms of dogmatic religions.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:21 pm

TAsunder wrote:I don't think the church cares about the magic in the story so much as the fact that the entire story was conceived as a "humanist" version of the chronicles of narnia, and it has a lot of blatant criticisms of dogmatic religions.

So twoo.
Our biggest sin, you know, is thinking we can do things ourselves.
We had to created by someone else, we had to be fooled into sinning by someone else, we had to have our sins attoned for by someone, blah blah blah.
And "God" forbid anyone should stand up and suggest we all stand up up on our own two feet.
Grow a spine, already.
jeez.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:52 pm

Wow, this movie was incoherent and all over the place. You never sit with one character long enough to give a shit who they are or why they do what they do.

They clearly tried to cram far too much from the book in and would've been better off adapting it. And even with cramming more story than can reasonably fit in the 2 hours, it still didn't have an ending.

Another masterpeice from the director of American Pie. :roll:

morriskatze

Postby morriskatze » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:56 pm

Shipley wrote: And even with cramming more story than can reasonably fit in the 2 hours, it still didn't have an ending.

Another masterpeice from the director of American Pie. :roll:

It's not supposed to have an ending/conclusion - it's the first in a trilogy. The book didn't have an ending either. Sort of like LOTR that way.

I thought they did a pretty decent job setting up the premise at the beginning, and they did cut a *lot* of detail from the book. What pissed me off was the way they chopped up the last third so that it not only made no sense, but also left out a lot of the thematic material about identity. Bah.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:06 pm

no, LOTR, Star Wars, and many other successful serial movies still have ENDINGS. a cliff hanger, or an invitation to contue the story is still an ending. Fellowship of the ring ended with... the dissolution of the Fellowship: an ending! You don't have to conclude the story, you do have to do more than just find a quiet place to stop. It doesn't help that the girl had that little speech at the end going over all the stuff she DIDN'T do, reminding me this is far from over.

This movie set up every plot thread it could an solved none. I hope this book is a masterpeice, because the movie does no justice and I can't imagine anyone watching the flick and wanting more unless they have to feed their own curiosity.

morriskatze

Postby morriskatze » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:13 pm

If the dissolution of the fellowship is enough of an ending for FOTR, then her leaving Iofur and the Gyptians behind to follow Lord Asriel should be enough, too.

Besides, in FOTR, you are reminded that the ring hasn't been destroyed yet and that Merry and Pippin are captives - did that ruin it for you?

I'm not defending the quality of the movie overall, but I have no problem with where the first movie leaves off because it's only the beginning of a trilogy.

The one plot thread that is resolved is Iofur getting his throne (although that whole section was very unsatisfactorily adapted).

Return to “Movies”