Horror Movie Recommendations For October/Halloween

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:26 am

buckyor wrote:I recommend Manos: The Hands of Fate. Preferably the MST3K version.

Ha! "Hands: The Hands of Fate." We own it.

I recommend Phantasm. Creeeeee-py.

Bucky Goldstein
Forum Addict

Postby Bucky Goldstein » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:39 pm

i agree with those who suggest dagon. i'd also recommend:

near dark
the original version of black christmas
calviare
my little eye
cronos
feast
high tension
let's scare jessica to death
may
shivers
peeping tom
tobe hooper's remake of the toolbox murders
session 9

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:26 pm

Bucky Goldstein wrote:i'd also recommend:
the original version of black christmas
cronos
let's scare jessica to death
session 9

These four are also in Fangoria's 101 Best Horror Movies You've Never Seen.
Though I've found not everything found in Fangoria's book is a gem. I watched Stephen King's Night Flier (an HBO movie) and thought it was crap, and has anyone ever seen 1973's The Legend of Hell House starring Roddy McDowell? Stupidest revelation ever!
I've seen Cronos but liked The Devil's Backbone better.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:54 am

MadMind wrote:I've seen Cronos but liked The Devil's Backbone better.

Agreed; it's still my favorite Del Toro film - I like Pan's Labyrinth, but it wasn't quite as perfectly realized as The Devil's Backbone, which is to my mind one of the best films of the 90's.

Del Toro's Blade II is the only one of that series that's worth a damn.

I'll also second the recommendations for Island of Lost Souls and Freaks.

And someone should really put in a plug for Eyes Without a Face - the movie, not the Billy Idol song.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:52 pm

del toro does the best commentary tracks in the business. they are amazingly informative and extremely funny.

worst would be billy friedkin, he likes to describe what you're seeing on the screen. it's commentary for the blind:
"now popeye doyle gets in the car. he's underneath the train tracks, and he almost hits a woman with a baby stroller."

Athena
Forum Addict

Postby Athena » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:42 pm

I just saw Cronos last week and I'll agree that the Devil's Backbone was better. I think Pan's Labyrinth is my favorite of his movies although I'm partial to female heroines.

I've seen The Legend of Hell House and I recall it being pretty good. My husband loves haunted house movies so I've seen every version of that story. I think all of them are worth seeing except the recent remakes.

I didn't like Session 9 but my husband did. I'm not exactly sure why but I had issues with the believability. It is a scary movie if you get past that.

Do see Dead Alive. It's great. There's so much blood by the end of the movie that it becomes really funny. The original Cat People by Val Lewton is very good. And you have to see Suspiria. I'll admit that I saw it in the best way possible though - it was a midnight movie with a very scratchy print with the sound turned all the way up and very static-y. I think it was about then that I decided I didn't actually like horror movies, at least not the really scary ones.

bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:43 pm

Athena wrote:I'll admit that I saw it in the best way possible though...

I saw Blair Witch at a drive in.

Troy Thiel
Forum Addict

Postby Troy Thiel » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:04 pm

the first of the "Alien" series was a classic...the 2nd not so bad..."in Space no one can hear you scream"

"Salem's Lot" TV series with James Mason

and there's nothing like the "Exorcist" to keep you wishing you weren't posessed.

"Henry, Portait of a Serial Killer" is pretty brutal

and it goes without saying, anything starring the immortal Pauly Shore...he should have his own Film Festival

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:34 pm

Just watched The Host last night. Great looking creature, strange movie. The monster was too overexposed and there were too many goofy light-hearted laughs for it to be scary, though.

FOREIGN FILMS ARE WEIRD.
In the way some feel American cinema is too predictable for always going for the happy ending, Asian cinema is too predictable is that they always skew towards tragedy.

I also watched the original foreign "The Vanishing" last week because someone on this forum was saying how much better it is and how the ending is uncompromising. After seeing the Americanized version I could pretty much guess how the original was going to end.
F**k it! I liked the American version and didn't like the foreign film.

And to clear the air, I don't really like Guillermo Del Toro's work when it comes to Cronos, The Devil's Backbone, or Pan's Labyrinth either.
Give me Blade II, Hellboy, and Mimic.

F**k foreign films. And no, I won't bother to see 'the orignial' anything else if it's foreign. If they can't do it well enough in the states, then I won't bother.

SO THERE!!!

Tank Riot

Postby Tank Riot » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:48 pm

In an old episode (#4) of the Tank Riot podcast (http://www.tankriot.com/2005/004/horror/), I discussed my list of 20 great horror films. For fun, I limited my choices to those films after 1970... So, no "Day of the Triffids". :wink:

For what it's worth, here is what I came up with for favorites, in order by date made:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1974
Breakout film changes the direction of horror.

Halloween 1978
JC brings on terror with a shatner mask and a killer soundtrack.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1978
Nemoy, Goldblum and Sutherland? A veritable who's who of creepy.

Alien 1979
(Ridley Scott, Lance, Sigourney) Lance Hendrickson? Oh Yeah! Sigourney sells space terror? Definitely!
Is Dallas OK? Absolutely... Not...

The Fog 1980
Nostalgia pic... Oh yeah, I was scared shitless.

The Shining 1980
Unforgettable. If you've seen it, you'll know. Kubrick at his best!

An American Werewolf In London 1982
Humor and horror wrapped up in a nasty dish of raw meat! Breaks the boundaries of horror to grab the uninitiated, and works for all...

The Thing 1982
One of my favorite remakes! This starts a spree of JC/Kurt Russell films...Need 3 movies? The Thing, Escape From New York, Big Touble in Little China. You're Welcome! Tor thought this was a great movie to watch in the winter.

Nightmare on Elm Street 1984
First great horror film to delve into our dreams. What did it create? Freddy Kruger! Thank you Wes Craven.

Fright Night 1985
Evil Ed Stephen Geoffreys gives a great performance as does Roddy McDowall. A funny, 80s horror flick that bends the genre and has fun with it.

Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn 1987
Ultimate of 80s horror. This is the must see intro of Bruce Campbell, man of mystery... If you see this film, you will believe.

Pumpkinhead 1989
Lance at his best, but furthermore we have a monster that is cruel and loathsome. What more do you want? Nostalgia pick, obviously.

Jacob's Ladder 1990
Mindfuck of a film from direcor Adrian Lyne, who also did 9 1/2 Weeks and Lolita. I can't say more...

Misery 1990
Best movie adaptation of a Stephen King novel by Rob Reiner.

Army of Darkness 1993
(Sam Raimi) End of the road for Ash from Housewares. A must see for those who followed my must-see tag on Evil Dead 2. A must see for everyone else as well!

Scream 1996
(Wes Craven/Kevin Williamson (The Faculty)) Most aware of the genre award goes to "Scream". Only worthy Kevin Williamson film on list. Sorry Jon Stewart, "The Faculty" was good but...

Audition 1999
(Mikke Takashi, Japan) Caution, non-English Alert! For Madmind, there is not yet an Americanized version of this, but I'm sure it's coming soon. Ultimate in freaky. Slow, but worth every minute for the set up. See This Film.

The Sixth Sense 1999
M. Night did it well this time. Even those wise to the game should enjoy this romp. 1 of only 4 Oscar nominated horror films...

28 Days Later 2002
(Danny Boyle Trainspotting Cillian Murphy) Danny Boyle does the Zombie genre a favor by spooking it up a bit. Removing some of the humor for fast-paced terror worked well!

The Eye 2002
(Pang Brothers Hong Kong Cantonese) Pang Bros film about an eye transplant spooks well!

Thesse are just my opinions, for full justifications, check out the podcast (It's an old one though...) Otherwise, let me know what I missed.

-Viktor
www.tankriot.com

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:16 am

How could you leave The Exorcist out, Tank?? Makes your list faulty.
'The Ring' wasn't too bad, the American one.

Shaun of The Dead. :)

Or one I saw last night, a different kind of horror, "13 Tzameti". (Not for you MadMind, it has subtitles)

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:48 pm

I just watched The Number 23 with Jim Carrey the other night and it was one of the biggest piles of shit I've seen in a while. What a waste of film!

Tank Riot

Postby Tank Riot » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:32 pm

Hey Paco,

I loved Shaun of the dead, but I never really saw it as "Horror", I guess it was too much fun to be too scary. I loved Hot Fuzz too, those guys are great!

Also, about the Exorcist... I know it may be blasphemy, but it never really did anything for me. I mean, a little girl puking and acting crazy? I've already got one of those... Ash from Housewares would've shredded the girl in 5 minutes, end of film. Maybe I should revisit it. I saw Rosemary's Baby recently and that was that slow kind of seventies creepy and shocking at the end.

"Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!"

-Viktor

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:13 pm

It depends on age, Tank.
Horror movies have grown porgressively more intense to jolt us jaded viewers.
At the time The Exorcist came out, America was still pretending to be sweet and Christian and so that movie shocked us. There were even news stories about people having heart attacks in the theater, and Warning Signs were placed at the ticket booths, etc.
I was really young and wasn't allowed to see R-rated movies, let alone Satan horror movies.
All I remember is watching the Oscars with my parents and they showed a clip from the Exorcist: the POV looking up the stairs.... shaky camera moving toward the closed door--from behind which came growls and screams........
I was, um, horrified.
I just watched the "new" version with Regan's spiderwalk down the stairs. Cool.
But it still stands up.
Not because the scary factor--it has eroded during the years--but the movie is so perfectly written and performed and directed. It's almost flawless.
And the rare beast: a horror movie that's a good enough movie to be judged against actual movie movies.

pulseCzar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulseCzar » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:56 pm

Jesus Camp....really!

Return to “Movies”