Future Live-Action Comic Book Movies

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:47 pm

Guess we won't be seeing anything further from Heath Ledger.
Heath Ledger Found Dead

BobArctor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BobArctor » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:48 pm

That was the new Joker?

That sucks!

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:57 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkT1wdRePco

be prepared to eat your words, Arctor.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:16 pm

Looks promising for superhero movies this summer. Got a big one for each month;

May - Iron Man
June - The Incredible Hulk
July - Batman: The Dark Knight
August - Hellboy 2

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed May 07, 2008 3:44 pm

And Super-Hero summer 2008 has begun!
Initial post updated.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:12 am

So after the superhero blockbuster summer of 2008, who's excited for Punisher 2?!? (hears crickets chirping, wind rustling)

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:12 am

Brad Pitt is up for Thor

Sony just announced Spider-Man 4 and 5 will be shot back to back. Tobey is back and Raimi will direct.

Green Lantern concept art has leaked to internet
the next Superman movie will be a reboot, not a sequel to Returns
a third Batman is planned with Riddler and/or Penguin. Johnny Depp has shown interest in Riddler, Phillip Seymour Hoffman for Penguin.
David Goyer is planning "Supermax" a Green Arrow prison escape film

Watchmen, GIJOE, Transformers 2, and Wolverine are next year

http://www.superherohype.com/

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Re:

Postby MadMind » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:18 am

Shipley wrote:Brad Pitt is up for Thor

Here I was gonna say they should just bring back the guy from Adventures In Babysitting Image
but then I found out his character was actually played by Vincent D'Onfrio. So that wouldn't work.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Future Live-Action Comic Book Movies

Postby MadMind » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:56 am

So how is The Wolverine trailer?
I haven't streamed/downloaded it yet.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Re:

Postby MadMind » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:20 pm

Saw the Wolverine trailer. Looks awesome.
Shipley wrote:the next Superman movie will be a reboot, not a sequel to Returns

I hear they're going to keep the cast of Returns for the reboot, which doesn't really make much sense. I wish they'd scrap the whole cast of Returns and start over.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:00 pm

Iron Man was good - not great.

The Incredible Hulk was Hulk-lite (on backstory, not action).
Jennifer Connelly is a much more dynamic and capable actress than Liv Tyler.
The score from Hulk is superior to the score in The Incredible Hulk.
Sam Elliot made a much more stern impression on me than William Hurt as 'Ross'.
The Incredible Hulk was an entertaining film, don't get me wrong. I just don't feel it is superior to Ang Lee's Hulk.

The Dark Knight was too long. It started strong & ended strong but it did get slow in the middle.
The whole devious politics scenario was unecessarily detailed/confusing.
I also didn't like that they went and changed The Joker's backstory. He fell in a vat of acid, remember? Not in this movie.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:59 am

MadMind wrote:I also didn't like that they went and changed The Joker's backstory. He fell in a vat of acid, remember? Not in this movie.

The acid story only works in a world where acid changes the color of your skin and makes you laugh more. Since Dark Knight and Batman Begins struggle to bring Batman's life into the real world, the character was re-written.

It is not his origins that define him, but his actions. The Joker has at least a half dozen conflicting origin stories in comics. The last one I read he wanted Riddler's head because he found out Riddler was a witness to the murder of his wife, who's death lead him off the deep end and then he became Joker. Now was he a gangster before that or a failed stand-up comedian? Did "Jack" fall into the vat of chemicals or did his alter-ego The Red Hood fall in?

Joker doesn't need an origin. His character is more effective and more unpredicatable if you have no idea why he is that way or what will set him off.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:42 pm

Finally watched Hellboy II last night.
Too much going on in this one. I didn't appreciate the absence of John Myers (Hellboy got him transferred to Antartica). Even though the same voice actor is credited, Abe Sapien's voice sounded off to me (too human).
I prefer the first Hellboy. It was more cohesive and dynamic (from Hellboy's origins to nearly fulfilling his apocalytpic destiny).

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:58 pm

MadMind wrote:Finally watched Hellboy II last night.
Too much going on in this one. I didn't appreciate the absence of John Myers (Hellboy got him transferred to Antartica). Even though the same voice actor is credited, Abe Sapien's voice sounded off to me (too human).
I prefer the first Hellboy. It was more cohesive and dynamic (from Hellboy's origins to nearly fulfilling his apocalytpic destiny).

The voice of Abe for the first movie was David Hyde Pierce, but he asked to be non-credited out of respect for the body work done by the man in the suit (Doug Jones, is it? Can't be sure from memory). For II, Jones (?) did all the work, both body and voice.

But I agree about your general assessment. Not nearly as enjoyable. Del Toro tried a little too hard with it, although I liked the double layered meaning of the pop song HB and Abe sang, once the credits started rolling.

MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:35 am

I wasn't disappointed with Wolverine. It delivered.
Yet at the same time I was a bit irked and confused that they switched actors for both Stryker and Sabre Tooth, and I kind of preferred the backstory presented in X2 where the melding of adamantium onto Wolverine's bones was not a voluntary type of situation. Not as seemless an extension of the X-Men films as I had presumed.

I was looking over some of the Wikipedia entry's for future comic book films and got a kick out of the fact that Ryan Reynolds has landed, or been considered for, the lead role in Deadpool (green lit), Green Lantern (green lit), and The Flash. Not only is that more Ryan Reynolds than movie-goers can withstand, it would/will be damn confusing.

Return to “Movies”