Transformers

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Transformers

Postby MadMind » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:53 am

Coming to theaters July 3, 2007
http://www.transformersmovie.com/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418279/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformers_%28film%29

Anyone plan on going to see this, well-knowing that it's a 'summer popcorn special effects' movie with bad actors, including a former fashion model, soap opera actor, and a kid who built his fame from a disney sitcom?
Last edited by MadMind on Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:41 am

shia labouef is a bad actor?
how about mentioning the film's single biggest drawback: it's directed by michael "i suck shit" bay.

JMH

Postby JMH » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:20 pm

Now that I've made peace with the fact these aren't going to be the same 'Bots and 'Cons I grew up with, yeah, I'll be there. It's still going to be giant robots blowing the hell out of stuff. Quintessential summer movie fare.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:14 pm

JMH wrote:It's still going to be giant robots blowing the hell out of stuff.

You dig giant robots.
I dig giant robots.
WE dig giant robots.

Nice.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:40 pm

I'm probably the Transformers alpha nerd for this area. I've read every issue of every comic released in the states, have a couple hundred episodes on DVD, and enough toys to make the 40 year old virgin jealous. I've also been to about a dozen conventions and met a lot of the writers, artists, and voices that have made Transformers for the past 20 years. No one wants this movie more than me.

I did, in fact, get an advance copy of the script last year and can say the movie as it was written at that time paid proper tribute to the original while still being its own movie. It has about as much in common with the 1984 series as the 2000 X-men movie had in common with the 1960s X-men comic. The ideas are there, but made to work with a real world. New characters like Blackout and Barricade don't seem out of place as having an attack helicopter and a cop car with the decepticons is completely in touch with the infiltration protocols presented in the comics.

This will be Michael Bay's best movie. I can't garauntee you will love it or even like it, but if you are going to like any Michael Bay movie, its this one. Plus, if we make this one a success, we're being promised a sequel with Dinobots vs Devestator.

JMH

Postby JMH » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:40 pm

I saw that teaser promo image they did of Grimlock for kicks. I'm down. And the thought of having all five (six? can't remember) Constructicons team up on screen to form Devestator..."w00t" doesn't begin to convey it.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:09 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Nice.

Dude, that's my line. You front guys just don't know when to quit.

--nt--

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:24 pm

One of the many endearing traits of my ex-girlfriend KR is that she could sing the entire Transformers theme song.

Few things are hotter than a scantily-clad woman singing, "Autobots wage their battle / To destroy the evil forces / Of the Decepticons."

Oh baby.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:31 pm

JMH wrote:I saw that teaser promo image they did of Grimlock for kicks. I'm down. And the thought of having all five (six? can't remember) Constructicons team up on screen to form Devestator..."w00t" doesn't begin to convey it.

that grimlock was fan-made. the official sites started scooping up all the fan vids like Lucas does with Star Wars stuff.

Needless to say, Grimlock is about as iconic as Prime, and giant robot dinos would tear more ass than anything in Jurassic Park.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:11 pm

Just got word out of Botcon in Rhode Island this weekend: Transformers 2 already has a greenlight.

Release has been kicked up to June 2 at 8 pm, and I'm slipping out of work early to make it to the theater in time. This is going to make Star Wars look like something a kid with a handycam made on a weekend.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:18 am

Shipley wrote:Just got word out of Botcon in Rhode Island this weekend: Transformers 2 already has a greenlight.

Release has been kicked up to June 2 at 8 pm, and I'm slipping out of work early to make it to the theater in time. This is going to make Star Wars look like something a kid with a handycam made on a weekend.

:roll: Ok, Elias.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:58 am

I hope you weren't trying to slight me with some Kevin Smith reference. I popped in Jay & Silent Bob last summer and though couldn't believe how bad and just plain unfunny I found the movie in comparison to how I found in 6 years prior. So bad I didn't bother with Clerks 2.

uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby uwstudent » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:35 pm

Isn't Orson Welles in this one? No wait....

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:15 am

I feel completely satisfied, and will go again. and again. in an ocean of very disappointing summer movies, Transformers delivered on every level.

omegarobot

Postby omegarobot » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:35 pm

Best part of this movie:

JJ Abrams 1.18.08 teaser 'what did I just see, now I wanna see that instead!' trailer. And how it's so secretive, you never see a title and even the internet doesn't harbor any information.

Return to “Movies”