Aliens and Dinosaurs, Oh My!

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Aliens and Dinosaurs, Oh My!

Postby MadMind » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:27 pm

Alien Vs. Predator 2: Requiem December 25, 2007
http://www.avp-r.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_vs._ ... he_Fittest
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758730/

Jurassic Park 4 TBA 2008
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jurassic_Park_4
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0369610/

The Thing TBA 2009
A remake/"companion piece".
http://www.countingdown.com/movies/2756399
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0905372/ (available only to IMDB Pro members)

Alien 5
http://www.countingdown.com/movies/546775
http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hp&cf=prev&id=1808402883
Everyone's been speculating on Alien 5 for years. Sigourney's up for it, and both James Cameron and Ridley Scott have expressed interest in directing.
Will it happen? I think the only question is when.
Last edited by MadMind on Sat May 02, 2009 7:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:11 pm

Alien is dead. Ripley is dead. that franchise was over with the 4th film and merely buried with the crossover.

Jurassic could be fun, if the pull in a new cast. Sam Neil and Jeff Goldblum's characters can not and should not be talked into going back. None of the first movie's cast should. They need to expand on the better idea presented in the second book: Dinos not being brought to, but ESCAPING to the mainland. I want Apocalypto with velociraptors.

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:43 pm

Ripley came back as a clone. But she hasn't come back as a milk-filled robot yet. I'll bet you 100 space credits that's what gonna happen. Hey, Lance Henriksen could even come back as a hologram!

meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:27 pm

Alien 4 ended with a total set-up for another film, almost as obvious a set-up as the first one. I was thoroughly entertained by the 4th Alien and look forward to the next one to be even trashier and more distorted. It was while watching that on the big screen that I realized my long-ago teenage crush on Winona Ryder was soooo over and that my teenage crush on Ms Weaver was stronger than ever.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:41 pm

The Alien franchise will always live on in the imagination of it's fans.
From the comics/graphic novels/novels to the video games... the Aliens universe is vast and well-traveled.

Fan fiction such as the Aliens Colonial Marines Technical Manual, or this miticulousy researched Aliens Universe Timeline is a testament to the impact the films have had on fans of science fiction.

I just finished reading Aliens Books #1-3 (Earth Hive, Nightmare Asylum, and The Female War) by Steve Perry, which followed the further adventures of Hicks and Newt from Aliens (which were rewritten as Wilks and Billie after the release of Alien 3).
Last edited by MadMind on Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:10 am

Alien 1-3 are still great, though I don't think the stregnth was in a well formed universe as much as great suspense and characters.

I only saw Ressurection once, and I want it wiped from memory. That was as bad as Batman & Robin. just crapped on everything I liked about the franchise with the clones, robots, and the human hybrid. So hideous.

AvP was kind of a derivative mess, and the Pg13 rating ruined the R rated heritage of both franchises. gore and violence are a big part of Predator and Aliens, but pulling back on blood and language neutered the movie. That said, it was still better than Ressurection, and kind of fun to watch if you didn't spend too much thinking about the 6 movies in the franchises before hand.

Alien vs Predator vs Robocop vs Terminator vs Ferris Bueller is in the scripting stages I'm sure.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:45 am

Alien 3 killed off soo many possibilities, and basically shit on everything Cameron had done with Aliens. I will never be able to get behind Alien 3, and furthermore it just wasn't a very good film.

Alien and Aliens are the only two great movies in the series. And if you take a step back one realizes that nearly all of Aliens material out there (comics/graphic novels/novels, video games) is spawned from Cameron's Aliens.

I didn't think Alien Resurrection was a bad movie. They answered the question, "can aliens swim?", and cloning was and still is topical.
The scene where they come upon the cloning lab was pretty chilling, and the Alien hybrid taken by itself was a pretty frightening design.

I don't mind the existence of the AVP franchise, and I enjoy it as filler, but I do not recognize it as 'canon' towards the Aliens mythology.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:39 am

alien 3 has always been my personal favorite. it's a wonderfully bleak and appropriate ending to the trilogy which worked in exactly the reverse of most trilogies, in which the middle chapter is the dark one (empire strikes back, two towers, etc)

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:43 pm

I have love for Alien 3 because of Charles 'Roc' Dutton, and the fact that I was young enough to be scared out of my pants when I saw it.

Judge it as a David Fincher movie. it fits with Fight Club, The Game, Seven, and Panic Room. Again, its suspense and characters that made that movie, not the universe, because it was basically just a xenomorph in a prison.

uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby uwstudent » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:14 pm

Alien: The first 2 were good. 3 and 4 were crap. AVP was dumb but fun to watch. Sigourney isn't the star of the alien films, the aliens are. They should've figured that out after the second one.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:24 pm

baloney. Ellen Ripley is one of the greatest sci-fi heroes of all time. Without her there would be no Alien or Aliens. Without Sarah Connor, Terminator falls apart too. The title villain can only take a movie so far.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:21 am

MadMind wrote:I just finished reading Aliens Books #1-3 (Earth Hive, Nightmare Asylum, and The Female War) by Steve Perry, which followed the further adventures of Hicks and Newt from Aliens (which were rewritten as Wilks and Billie after the release of Alien 3).

Here's a coincidence.
http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/profile.php?sku=47-393
Coming this July 11 "to tap the massive interest in the major motion picture Aliens vs. Predator 2 coming in December 2007", is "Aliens Omnibus Vol.1.
Aliens Omnibus Vol.1 contains the three books I recently read - but in graphic novel form featuring 384 full-color story pages.
I hadn't seen the original comic/graphic novels that the books were based on, so it'd be real interesting to see if the comic artists drew things out similar to how I imagined them.
I also noticed that there's another Aliens novel on the way slated for September.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:30 am

The Darkhorse Omnibus compilations are really cool, not to mention a great deal at $25 retail for 400+ full-color pages.

So far I've read through the AVP Omnibus Vol.1 and Predator Omnibus Vol.1, and I plan on purchasing Alien Omnibus Vol.1 and Vol.2 (which comes out in Dec).
The main attraction contained within AVP Omnibus Vol.1 is the original Aliens Vs. Predator comic and AVP: War, which both follow the same female lead. The rest of the stories are pretty good as well.

The main attraction in Predator Omnibus are the three stories written by screenwriter Mark Verheiden which follow a singular character (it's supposed to be the brother of Arnold Schwarzenegger's character from the first Predator movie). The rest of the stories included in Predator Omnibus are crap, but the three main stories take up 300 out of the 400 pages.

I'm not a comic book reader so this is all an exception for me, being the Aliens fanboy which over the years I've realized myself to be.

Like Dark Horse has done for the AVP/Aliens/Predators franchise for the upcoming Aliens Vs. Predator 2, one can only hope that Dark Horse re-releases their comics line for The Thing in their Omnibus format when 2009's "companion piece" of The Thing nears release in movie theaters.
"John Carpenter himself has mentioned (both in print and at public appearances) that if he were to do a sequel he would base it on the Dark Horse comics."

The Thing From Another World and The Climate Of Fear, and 'Eternal Vows'.
As it stands right now those on Amazon are asking quite alot for the (2 series out of 3) out-of-print graphic novel.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:40 am

The movie poster, website, and trailer of AVP 2, retitled Aliens Vs. Predator: Requiem, are now online.
Last edited by MadMind on Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:50 pm

A production still of the PredAlien has surfaced from the upcoming film.

Return to “Movies”