The Thing

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

The Thing

Postby bluethedog » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:38 am

Watched John Carpenter's 1982 version last night. Besides the computer graphics, everything holds up nicely. Great development of paranoia in all the characters. A blend of "you don't see the monster but you know it's out there" like in Alien with "here's the monster and holy shit it is terrifying" like, uh, Aliens / Alien 2.

First time I've watched it since getting my Huskies (shudder).

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:17 pm

supposedly it's going to be remade this year.
Another classic ruined by a lazy Hollywood.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:41 pm

yeah but the carpenter version is a rare example of an artistically successful remake.
a few others i'd argue for:

tom savini's remake of night of the living dead
philip kaufman's take on invasion of the body snatchers

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:01 pm

I almost got up and left the theater, when the dog kennel scene started, when I first saw that movie back in '82. Man, did I have a paranoid heebie-jeebie feeling when I drove home in the dark that night.
The critics at the time hated it, and it didn't make money. But now it's a classic of pre-CGI over-the-top monster gore effects.

So, which guy did the dog get to first, in that scene where the dog walks into somebody's room? I think maybe it was Palmer.

bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:00 pm

Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:So, which guy did the dog get to first, in that scene where the dog walks into somebody's room? I think maybe it was Palmer.

Damn good question. From imdb:

John Carpenter and Kurt Russell both admit that after all of these years they still do not know who has been replaced by the creature and when.

I'm getting the '78 Body Snatchers next.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:24 am

I really like most Carpenter soundtracks and The Thing has a great one. It seems to convey their isolation and builds tension superbly. Not for one minute did I ever feel like I was anywhere but some remote artic outpost - so cold! The lighting is masterful. The cast is great. Mysterious creepy alien 'thing'. Wow, what a movie.

Check out the original movie sometime. It definitely holds up too. Great title.

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:50 am

supaunknown wrote:I really like most Carpenter soundtracks and The Thing has a great one. It seems to convey their isolation and builds tension superbly.

By Ennio Morricone, who reportedly was irked that Carpenter chose only the most Carpenter-esque segments of the score (Carpenter usually scores his own movies, e.g. Halloween and Escape From New York).

No question it's extrememly effective in highlighting the themes of isolation and paranoia. Lone bass pulse, rising synth triad that resolves to a minor. Fuckin' A.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:03 am

Morricone? No shit? Wow! That just ratcheted up the awesome factor another notch. Totally fooled me.

Wags, Toonces & I just watched a mid-grade spaghetti hitman movie starring Bronson, Ireland, and Savalas called Violent City. The voice dubbing was awful but the soundtrack was some cool Morricone.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:02 pm

Usually I don't mind remakes. But there are certain movies which shouldn't be remade - movies which there is no possible way to improve upon the original.

The Shining on Sci-Fi starring Steven Weber for instance.
And, although I haven't yet seen it, The Hitcher remake.
I've always been drawn to the original. The twisted unexplainable bond that C. Thomas Howell's and Rutger Hauer's characters shared. The hauntingly beautiful score by Mark Isham. And C. Thomas Howell's lone journey from Chicago to California.

So you can see why I'd be a bit disgusted at the dumbing down of the remake. Making them 'college kids' traveling with a boyfriend/girlfriend. And by the trailers and from what I've read, there doesn't seem to be any sort of bond or connection shared by pursuer and pursuee - which makes the premise flat by comparison.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:12 pm

the tv version of the shining was an abomination but i totally disagree that the kubrick couldn't be improved upon.
fuck, if stanley had stuck to the goddamn book it would have been a masterpiece. as it is, we have to sit in sadness while the whole final third of the movie goes down the fucking scatman crothers drain.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:11 pm

depinmad wrote:the tv version of the shining was an abomination but i totally disagree that the kubrick couldn't be improved upon.

Have you seen this hilarious trailer?

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:50 pm

The worst remake crime was Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes.

Get your stinking paws off my movie, you damn dirty Tim Burton!!

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:24 am

Although it isn't a remake, An American Werewolf In Paris laid waste to the legacy of a classic horror movie.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:48 am

CHECK THIS OUT!
Universal Studios Orlando Halloween Nights 2007 The Thing Assimilation.
Last edited by MadMind on Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:47 pm

Loved Carpenter's Thing.
saw it in the theater and decalred afterwards it had just set the most recent bar for horrifyingly gross-out scenes. I was pleasantly disturbed more than ever before by them.
Cool.

QUESTION:
Why is Alien rated R and Predator rated R but Alien versus Predator is only rated PG-13?
How can they totally destroy one or the other in a movie little kids can get in to?

Return to “Movies”