Zodiac

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
monsterface
Forum God/Goddess

Zodiac

Postby monsterface » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:03 am

I've been intrigued by the Zodiac Killer since my sophomore year in high school. I already know how creepy that sounds. I am a creep.

Anyway, I'm going to see it. Tonight. And being that I can only be so amused looking through this stuff for so long, let's get a dialogue going here.

Face value perks: Mark Ruffalo, Jake Gyllenhaal, and Robert Downey, Jr. Duh.

NIFOC IWSN SCNR wOOt 31337

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:34 am

saw it yesterday

masterpiece.

aaronetc
Forum Addict

Postby aaronetc » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:32 pm

I saw the Orpheum sneak preview and liked it a lot but thought it was too damn long. There are at least two stories being told sequentially and I think it would've worked better as a four-hour mini-series. OTOH, you probably don't get Fincher, Downey, Ruffalo, Donnie Darko or a decent production budget for a mini-series. I'd like to use the first hour or so as a teaching tool WRT media manipulation.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:37 pm

sitting through anything more than ten minutes in an orpheum seat is too long for me.interesting that you say it was too long yet should have been a four hour miniseries.

masterpiece.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:52 pm

depinmad wrote:masterpiece

Every time you say this, a handful more people decide not to watch it.

When will people learn that overhyping is almost as deadly as a bad review?

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:00 pm

maybe i secretly hated it and i'm trying to get people not to go. ever think of that? huh, huh?

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:38 pm

There's only one word to describe such a fiendishly clever plan, dep: Masterpiece!

aaronetc
Forum Addict

Postby aaronetc » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:26 pm

depinmad wrote:interesting that you say it was too long yet should have been a four hour miniseries.

It was too long for a single movie. By the time you get through the story about the initial events and investigation it's just too much to sit through the whole story about what happened afterwards. I did really like the transition shot of Ruffalo and Gyllenhall passing each other at the one murder scene, though.

smokin' the dummy

Postby smokin' the dummy » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:43 pm

Yes, the movie is about 1/2 hour too long.

Downey is the best actor of the bunch, though Ruffalo is also pretty good. I don't think Jake has the chops to be on the screen that long, not that he does a bad job.

One thing I like is that they didn't stray too far from the real account by Robert Graysmith. The fact that they still don't know for sure who Zodiac was (or is) makes it even more interesting.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:57 pm

i couldn't disagree more strongly about the length.

this is one of the few movies that i eagerly anticipate an extended directors cut on dvd.

DedeTate
Forum Addict

Postby DedeTate » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:40 pm

I thought it was a great movie - immediately after I saw it, I read Graysmith's second book on the case, Zodiac Unmasked. It was probably hard to streamline the story because there are so many unusual details in the case, and the investigation went on for such a long time.

One thing I'm curious to read others' opinions about - the Kathleen Johns incident. In the movie, Ione Skye and her baby get in a car with a man who threatens to kill her, and she manages to escape. Graysmith's book says that Johns later identified the Zodiac from a Wanted poster at the police station - but the movie makes it seem as though Zodiac just took credit for it after reading about the incident in the paper. Anybody have differing opinions about this? Or additional knowledge about the incident?

Return to “Movies”