Borat

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
cristobal
Forum Addict

Postby cristobal » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:22 pm

Ducatista wrote:That's what I heard. I think Luenell and Borat's fellow Kazakhs were just about the only insiders. Although I've heard a rumor that Pamoola may've known, even if her staff didn't.

Dontcha think she had to know and agree? Otherwise I imagine the "Kazakhs" might have faced real assault charges, no?

Cristobal

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:22 pm

Ducatista wrote:I've heard a rumor that Pamoola may've known, even if her staff didn't.

I strongly suspect she was in on it, just from the continuity of the shots in which she appears. (I'm being deliberately vague here to avoid spoilers.)

On the film's Wikipedia page, an unsourced trivia item says she and Cohen are friends, and her scene was loosely scripted and mostly ad-libbed.

The Dude

Postby The Dude » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:33 pm

I like the movie film, yes.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:55 pm

cristobal wrote: You do realize that most Wisconsinites have never met a Jewish person and some really believe they have horns?

That's a little over the top, especially considering that our two U.S. senators and the Wisconsin Supreme Court chief justice have won easily and repeatedly in statewide elections.

cristobal
Forum Addict

Postby cristobal » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:59 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:That's a little over the top, especially considering that our two U.S. senators and the Wisconsin Supreme Court chief justice have won easily and repeatedly in statewide elections.

Alright maybe the horns thing is over the top but there's some serious parochialism out there in the hinterlands. I refer lawyerly to the word "some" in my statement and condescendingly offer the opinion that the dumber the human the less likely to vote.

Cristobal

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:12 pm

cristobal wrote: You do realize that most Wisconsinites have never met a Jewish person ...

This part of your statement made me go "No way!" at first, but then I kinda went "Hmm" and tried to go through it logistically and boy now I'm confused. I do think it's a stretch to say that though.

Myname

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:31 pm

supaunknown wrote:
cristobal wrote: You do realize that most Wisconsinites have never met a Jewish person ...

This part of your statement made me go "No way!" at first, but then I kinda went "Hmm" and tried to go through it logistically and boy now I'm confused. I do think it's a stretch to say that though.

As the first Jewish person a number of my college pals who grew up in Wisconsin had ever met, while avoiding the surety of the initial blanket statement, I will say I don't necessarily have any trouble believing it may well be true.

My first semester or two here was a veritable onslaught of Jewish-related questions - and a few embarassed admissions that up in Rhinelander, at least, they do indeed tell their children tales about the ritual killing of Christian babies at the hands of Jews sporting horns.

Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Oprah » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:23 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
supaunknown wrote:

As the first Jewish person a number of my college pals who grew up in Wisconsin had ever met, while avoiding the surety of the initial blanket statement, I will say I don't necessarily have any trouble believing it may well be true.

My first semester or two here was a veritable onslaught of Jewish-related questions - and a few embarassed admissions that up in Rhinelander, at least, they do indeed tell their children tales about the ritual killing of Christian babies at the hands of Jews sporting horns.

I grew up in a Catholic enclave on the SW side of Chicago and did not meet a Jewish person until college. While I did not hear the ritual killing tales, other slurs and stereotypes were commonplace, directed at not only Jewish people but also blacks, Muslims, and gays. Ignorance is scary . . . very, very scary.

jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:31 pm

I saw the movie last night. Loved it. I've been a fan for awhile though so no surprises. It is as good as the little segments on Da Ali G Show but longer.

To answer BookPolice's question about the appeal.. He has a way of making people confortable speaking their opinions about really intense issues. He can get people to reveal their nasty racism, sexism, homophobia, etc in a way that is both discomforting and saddly insightful. As far as his characters go, Bruno and Ali are probably best at bringing out the worst in people. Borat is too likable to get a real response from some people.

For those that have seen it, what'd you think of the scene with the kids in the RV? Didn't the bigger kid look uncomfortable at the things his friends were saying? I thought that was the best scene of the movie.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:19 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:My first semester or two here was a veritable onslaught of Jewish-related questions - and a few embarassed admissions that up in Rhinelander, at least, they do indeed tell their children tales about the ritual killing of Christian babies at the hands of Jews sporting horns.

I think you may've misunderstood. It's the Hodag that kills the Christian babies, and the Rhinelanders are all for it.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:18 pm

Ducatista wrote:I think you may've misunderstood. It's the Hodag that kills the Christian babies, and the Rhinelanders are all for it.

Hmmm ... Let's take a closer look ...
You may be on to something. That thing doesn't look very Jewish to me. The nose looks downright Negroid and the eyes look more like the Devil's (i.e. American Indian.) Of course, throw a yamulke and a talles on the sucker and I dunno ...

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:34 pm

i thought the dinner party scene was the highlight of the movie.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:07 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:This movie (from my perspective) doesn't show the latent racism and bigotry of middle America. It shows that a comic with little to no heart can rip them to ribbons by abusing their notions of "let's make the stranger feel at home."

To me it sends up bigotry more than individuals. If some individuals get run over on the way, well, fuck em. They deserved it. The three women he interviewed about women's issues certainly didn't come out looking bad, and it was hilarious to boot. The driving instructor scene was good, as well as the humor coach (well-layered satire).

It's only those individuals who are CLEARLY bigots, full of hatred and ignorance, who come out looking bad. And you know what? FUCK those people. If you don't want your prejudices exposed for the world to see, then try not to be such an asshole. If you can't help it, well, tough shit.

Personally, I thought the dinner scene was the worst part of the movie(the end of it), but that was before it became clear that the hooker was in on it. Feeling bad for her made me feel bad for laughing. Racists and bigots do not garner the same kind of sympathy, which is what makes the the vast majority of it a guilt-free gut-buster. To be honest though, I laughed through that part too. It just hurt because I thought it was mean to her until I found out she was in on it.

The "vanilla face" bit also didn't succeed 100% because the hotel staff figured it out right away. They obviously left the only salvagable film from it.

The key seems to start subtle, making sure they buy it 100%, and then ask with sincere curiosity how it is possible for women to vote if their brains are only the size of a squirrel? You need to get the knee-jerk reaction before they figure it out, or it takes some of the edge off.

I was impressed with the overall style of the film though. Kazakh Ministry of Information educational film - outstanding!! Director listed as "Operator of Camera Machine" or something. Even the credits were done in character. Quality!!

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:41 pm

[url=http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061110/ap_on_en_mo/film_borat_lawsuit_6]Two fraternity boys want to make lawsuit against "Borat" over their drunken appearance in the hit movie.
ADVERTISEMENT

The legal action filed Thursday on their behalf claims they were duped into appearing in the spoof documentary "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan," in which they made racist and sexist comments on camera.

The young men "engaged in behavior that they otherwise would not have engaged in," the lawsuit says.[/url]

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:10 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:The young men "engaged in behavior that they otherwise would not have engaged in," the lawsuit says.

Ah, the old Mel Gibson defense.

Return to “Movies”