Borat

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:39 pm

Ducatista wrote:From a Fox News review which contends Borat would be better on YouTube:

"Regardless, America haters will love how Cohen uses Michael Moore-type scenarios to get his point across."

You can't make that shit up.

Da Book Police, how credible do you think your perspective is on a movie you haven't seen, and don't plan on seeing?

As "my perspective," it's completely credible. I'm not offering a review of the movie. I'm offering my opinion based on what I know of the movie. If someone were to come here and say, "as someone who has seen the movie, let me address your concerns about the content...", I'd happily listen. Or you could just ignore me if you think my opinion is a waste of your time.

But one person has told me to "lighten up," and now you have questioned the credibility of my opinion. Not exactly welcoming to further discussion.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:43 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:This movie (from my perspective) doesn't show the latent racism and bigotry of middle America. It shows that a comic with little to no heart can rip them to ribbons by abusing their notions of "let's make the stranger feel at home."

Your "perspective"? Uh, you didn't see the movie. How would you know what it shows or doesn't show? But your opinion matters. :roll:

At least I've seen the Da (lousy) Ali G Show and also Cohen as Borat on Howard Stern. He's studied and quick, but ultimately sour and offensive. Not a fan.

LoopBo knows.

LoopBo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LoopBo » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:47 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
LoopBo wrote:lighten up. the people who get the most ridicule in the film usually have it coming. this film is not going to change the world, but it's damn funny.

it's kind of funny that you don't understand why he gets the critical acclaim, when you haven't seen his work. don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to be the defender of Borat here. i don't care if you like it or not. it's just funny that you have chosen to develop strong opinions on something you haven't even seen.

Well, I'm pretty sure I qualified my comments as being informed by indirect sources, so if you don't care what I think, why do you care enough to chime in and tell me how "funny" you think it is that I have an opinion at all?

I think it's funny that you give a shit enough to critique my opinion based on not knowing me at all.

cool, we both think each other are funny. we should meet somewhere in person and laugh at each other. it's good for the soul right?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:48 pm

supaunknown wrote:Your "perspective"? Uh, you didn't see the movie. How would you know what it shows or doesn't show? But your opinion matters. :roll:

Yawn. More belittling. What a shock. It's too bad you couldn't have stuck to discussing the movie/show, rather than preceding it with more ridicule about me for voicing an opinion.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:53 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Or you could just ignore me if you think my opinion is a waste of your time.

I don't think it's a waste of my time... in fact, I think it's the most interesting opinion on this thread.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:53 pm

LoopBo wrote:cool, we both think each other are funny. we should meet somewhere in person and laugh at each other. it's good for the soul right?

Actually, I think you expressed finding me pointless, and I found you contradictory. But feel free to laugh.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:55 pm

Ducatista wrote:I don't think it's a waste of my time... in fact, I think it's the most interesting opinion on this thread.

I'll cross my fingers that you're not patronizing me and say thanks.

LoopBo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LoopBo » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:58 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
LoopBo wrote:cool, we both think each other are funny. we should meet somewhere in person and laugh at each other. it's good for the soul right?

Actually, I think you expressed finding me pointless, and I found you contradictory. But feel free to laugh.
*puffs pipe, adjusts monacle*

i'll love you forever.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:02 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
Ducatista wrote:I don't think it's a waste of my time... in fact, I think it's the most interesting opinion on this thread.

I'll cross my fingers that you're not patronizing me and say thanks.

At first I wrote "most entertaining," which did sound a little patronizing, so I reworded. Who says civil discourse is dead?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:06 pm

LoopBo wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:

i'll love you forever.

Baiting me with misattribution? Lovely. I'm done with you. Let's let the thread get back on topic, rather than continue with your headpatting.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:19 pm

Cool, I think I've finally found someone to put on "ignore"!

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:25 pm

I'll jump back on topic: I saw the movie Saturday and loved it. Funny as hell, but usually discomfiting, and occasionally like a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. (Or a poke in the anoos with a rubber fist).

I'd never seen the character before, but I knew a little about Baron Cohen's background, which made some things easier to take, but also made the non-actors seem that much more ridiculous. Hard to believe only a few of the characters were in on the bit.

cristobal
Forum Addict

Postby cristobal » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:37 pm

Ducatista wrote:Hard to believe only a few of the characters were in on the bit.

Having not really delved into the facts around this movie, REALLY?

Even that redneck old "kill the gays and the muslims" dude at the rodeo? I don't normally use lame chat room acronyms but OMFG!

Cristobal

LoopBo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LoopBo » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:39 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
LoopBo wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:

i'll love you forever.

Baiting me with misattribution? Lovely. I'm done with you. Let's let the thread get back on topic, rather than continue with your headpatting.

you're done with me? sheesh, you didn't even have the decency to wipe off my stomach.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:05 pm

cristobal wrote:
Ducatista wrote:Hard to believe only a few of the characters were in on the bit.

Having not really delved into the facts around this movie, REALLY?

Even that redneck old "kill the gays and the muslims" dude at the rodeo? I don't normally use lame chat room acronyms but OMFG!

Cristobal

That's what I heard. I think Luenell and Borat's fellow Kazakhs were just about the only insiders. Although I've heard a rumor that Pamoola may've known, even if her staff didn't.

Return to “Movies”