The Descent

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
aaron
Forum God/Goddess

The Descent

Postby aaron » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:28 am

If you dig truly scary, heart-pounding movies, this is the one for you. For once, a movie lives up to its hype. Being called the scariest movie since "Alien" and I agree. Exceedeingly well-done for this type of film.
All female cast and some of the most horrific "creatures" I've ever seen.
We rated it 4.5 stars out of 5. Recommended.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:25 pm

i dl'ed it and watched it on my comp last night with the wife. it had the original ending. i thought it was pretty cool, my wife was totally freaked out.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Descent

Postby MadMind » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:50 pm

aaron wrote:Being called the scariest movie since "Alien" and I agree. Exceedeingly well-done for this type of film.

I haven't seen the movie, but to make that sort of claim is outrageous, especially after mentioning that they are the same ones who brought us such shock value slasher flicks such as Saw and Hostile.
Ebert & Roeper didn't even bother to review Descent yet as far as I can tell. I'll rent it when it comes out on DVD.

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:52 pm

MadMind wrote:
aaron wrote:Being called the scariest movie since "Alien" and I agree. Exceedeingly well-done for this type of film.

I haven't seen the movie, but to make that sort of claim is outrageous, especially after mentioning that they are the same ones who brought us such shock value slasher flicks such as Saw and Hostile.
Ebert & Roeper didn't even bother to review Descent yet as far as I can tell. I'll rent it when it comes out on DVD.

Ebert loved it, that fat fuck.

NadMind, you are the guy in the focus group that fucks up the screenwriter's original ending. You are the target audience for "The Cat In The Hat." You are the guy for which every idiotic pitch in Hollywood is intended. You are evidence that there is a target demographic for all the deeply flawed remakes of mid 70s horror classics. I weep for you and your kind.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:29 pm

christopher_robin wrote:
MadMind wrote:

Ebert loved it, that fat fuck.

Sounds as if you are right.
I found out it is a british film, so all those comparisons to American horror films don't count. And Descent has an all-female cast? Blech.

Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:29 pm

Ebert, who's been in a hospital for God knows how long, didn't love it. Jim Emerson loved it.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:52 pm

Thusnelda wrote:Ebert, who's been in a hospital for God knows how long, didn't love it. Jim Emerson loved it.

Good catch. Just call me Mr. Oblivious. So there christopher_robin, Ebert didn't love it!

Litaluv

Postby Litaluv » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:49 pm

MadMind wrote:

The movie doesn't live up to the hype. People were sleeping during the damn thing when I was there. Pretty crappy movie.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:40 pm

"The Descent" was released on DVD today and I picked up a copy, mostly due to how much I enjoyed "Dog Soldiers" (the director's first movie). Overall, I found it thoroughly enjoyable, though I'm not sure that the dark and claustrophobic atmosphere will hold up to multiple viewings. The ending goes from head-scratching to possibly just plain rotten, but the movie overall is definitely worth a rental, if'n you like scary movies.

If you liked "Wrong Turn" or "28 Days Later," you'll probably enjoy this one too. It was no "Alien," and it certainly wasn't scarier than "The Exorcist," but it was a well above average horror flick.

For those who enjoyed "The Descent" and haven't seen "Dog Soldiers," I recommend that one, too. More or less an update of "The Howling," it's a B-horror keeper.

ECDkeys

Postby ECDkeys » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:41 pm

Funny this thread should be revived. I was at Borders today using a holiday gift certificate (thank you sis), and loaded up on DVDs with their buy 3 get the 4th free deal. "The Descent" was totally an impulse buy, so I'm looking forward to a viewing in the next few days. I have to say, I've spent my life looking for the ultimate fright flicks, and I've grown pretty tired of what I've seen of the J-horror and Korean offerings on Tartan Asia Extreme. Is it possible for the genre to be reinvented yet again? The nod to J-horror was very overt in "Hostel" (with the cameo appearance by Miike), but I think the direction the Asians have taken is played out. Hollywood obviously thinks more can be milked out of it.

Edit: Actually, my favorites of the Tartan series have not been the horror flicks, but the Vengeance trilogy. And of the Miike films I've seen, only one in my opinion can be remotely described as a horror flick, Audition. His others are just stunningly strange and ultimately, in my opinion, riveting cinema.
Last edited by ECDkeys on Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:36 am

I don't know that all J horror is garbage, but the movies like The eye, the ring, pulse, etc. are. Although pulse was probably the best of those, IMO. A Tool video from the 90's is more scary and interesting than those pieces of crap.

I saw the descent last night and liked it. It follows one of those rules that movie critics have about not showing the monster until late in the film. Fun movie. Impressive set design, considering they were all artificial.

Foundation
Forum Addict

Postby Foundation » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:31 pm

ECDkeys wrote: I've grown pretty tired of what I've seen of the J-horror and Korean offerings on Tartan Asia Extreme. Is it possible for the genre to be reinvented yet again? The nod to J-horror was very overt in "Hostel" (with the cameo appearance by Miike), but I think the direction the Asians have taken is played out. Hollywood obviously thinks more can be milked out of it.

Edit: Actually, my favorites of the Tartan series have not been the horror flicks, but the Vengeance trilogy. And of the Miike films I've seen, only one in my opinion can be remotely described as a horror flick, Audition. His others are just stunningly strange and ultimately, in my opinion, riveting cinema.

I completely agree. I think the brutality in Miike's films are why people call them horror, but they definitely are not. I watched a short film of his (it was on a dvd called 3 Extremes) and it was far from horror, although it was billed that way on the cover.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:43 pm

far from horror??
lol

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:57 pm

Was 3 extremes the collection of 3 abbreviated versions of full length films including the one about special dumplings?

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:20 pm

no and yes

Return to “Movies”