Harvey Weinstein

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Harvey Weinstein

Postby gargantua » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:51 pm

Roy wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:
Roy wrote:As I said. Fake news. If there was any there there the special prosecutor would have him by now.

Are you talking about the Russian connection or Trump's admitted sexual predation? Let's see what the special prosecutor has to say after his investigation is completed (if Trump doesn't fire him first).

Either. Take your pick, both are fake news.

Wow. Trump was caught on tape bragging about sexual assault. Trump has never denied that it was he who said those things ON TAPE. And you say that's fake news.
Again, wow.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:04 am

I think Roy's handlers have been a little lax about explaining how their army of sheep are supposed to use the current set of buzzwords. Seems like they could have done it a little better. Or maybe they did actually say "Every time someone brings up something that could cast the president in a negative light, call it fake news whether or not there's any video. If we get enough people saying that, a few people might believe it, and a few is usually all it takes."

Paleo2
Forum Addict

Postby Paleo2 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:46 pm

Back on topic.

The big, as in HUGE problem, is this appears to be standard operating procedure for many entertainment businesses. Not just Hollywood, but modeling as well. Girls who say "no" are "difficult", and don't get jobs.

I have seen a few disgusting people, in articles and in comments sections, say "the ladies were not forced, they knew what they were getting into."

There are three problems with this.
There are numerous cases of rape or alleged rape in the entertainment business. Consider the American Apparel models, or consider Roman Polanski.
Many of the cases involved girls, or boys, who were under-age. Consider the two Coreys, one of whom is now dead. Corey Feldman says the two Coreys were repeatedly sexually assaulted when they were under 18.

Even in the case of men and women over 18, who were not raped, there is still a very big problem: it means that there are entire professions, which are sometimes quite lucrative, that are closed to ladies who keep their legs closed.

I do know a local family whose daughter, while in HS, had some offers for modeling, but they turned it down because they didn't want their daughter to get involved in such a disgusting business,

Going back several decades, one of my mother's friends was in the entertainment business. She was able to get her own daughter a few roles while a kid. That young lady put herself through an Ivy by acting and modeling, and later became a very well-known actress. I would guess that almost everyone reading this would recognize her name if I mentioned it. Not one of the huge stars, but an actress in a very well known TV show that is no longer on the air, plus a few movies that were based on the show. I hope this woman's mother was able to shield her from the exploitation, and I hope the rave reviews she got in the theater in NYC starting out made her a big enough name to get jobs without falling victim to exploitation.

The point is, sleeping with the boss should NEVER be a precondition for a career. It is morally wrong, and illegal.
But, for various reasons, people turned a blind eye to it for acting, singing, modeling, etc.

I hope this ends the practice, and that the certain powerful people at least lose their jobs, preferably their fortunes. Better still if they see some prison time. IF this rips apart entire industries, well, they deserved to be ripped apart.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:10 pm

Paleo2 wrote:. . . people turned a blind eye to it for acting, singing, modeling, etc.

Not sure if you're trying to stay narrowly focused because of the thread title or you're just being naive but this kind of behavior is hardly limited to only the entertainment industry, which the whole #MeToo campaign should have made clear.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:37 pm

For instance, it's not unknown for women to be harassed and hit on in the world of higher education. Not at all.

Paleo2
Forum Addict

Postby Paleo2 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:12 pm

Yes, I am focused on entertainment because of the thread title.

I am aware of cases of sexual harassment in higher education. Meaning, involving people I know very, very well. I am also aware of students who completely fabricated claims of sexual harassment to get revenge on professors. My certainty level is 100% on both of these. I am sad to say, or rather extremely angry to say, that the false claims make life extremely difficult for those whose claims are valid.

I am also aware of cases of sexual harassment in the workplace in other areas.

However, my point is that in entertainment, this has been considered "normal" behavior for far too long. To the point where it is difficult for many people to get into the profession without tolerating some very bad behavior. It appears to be more tolerated in the entertainment business, and even expected. Which is horrible.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:26 pm

In my experience all women have had to deal with sexual harassment at some point in theirs lives. And a majority of them have also been sexually assaulted.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:57 pm

Paleo2 wrote:It appears to be more tolerated in the entertainment business, and even expected.

I guess I'm hard-pressed to think of any business where sexual harassment has not been tolerated. It's pretty much been the norm everywhere for my entire life, near as I can tell. Perhaps you're right that it's worse in the entertainment world. I dunno. But given I don't personally know anyone who works in Hollywood yet still can't name a single female acquaintance who has never been sexually harassed, I'm not sure the distinction is particularly cost effective.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:23 pm

Madsci wrote:In my experience all women have had to deal with sexual harassment at some point in theirs lives. And a majority of them have also been sexually assaulted.

If only men would focus on their character and not their modus operandi, I mean dick...

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:29 am

any new candidates for explanations as to why he did it? they really do need to get to the bottom of that if they are serious about changing things. my guess, he is an alpha male jackoff, in business terms, a predator. that is his problem. nowhere else on earth is that kind of thing as tolerated as much as it is there, well, maybe wall street, madison avenue . . . not even bay street, the city, commerzbankplatz -- their alpha male jackoffs get impatient and go to wall street

then we have bill o' -- from what i can piece together, he was out $32m and on the bread line (or maybe not) for causing a hellish amount of vexation for their main legal expert, not only one of the highest calibre, but one who apparently has 50 i q points, 180 mm, and 15 kilos on him . . . u noticed he was gone for an extended period before they announced he was not coming back? she probably busted his face with a crescent kick to the nose when he tried to pull something! my theory on bill o: he is just nucking futs . . . so much for it being some kind of right wing transgressive street theatre . . . 10 years from now will the cops pick up bill o in hell's kitchen slinging dope?

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:20 am

I'm watching the story unfold about Bush 1 and I actually have mixed feelings. It appears that in his nineties he's become a groper and instead of his wife and staff warning people about it, they're letting him get away with it and letting him get within groping range of victims and THEN telling the victims they shouldn't have gotten so close.

It seems like a classic example of letting the problem continue when it would be so damn easy to control it. He's fucking 93. Treat him that way. I don't care how rich or important he is, treat him like a senile old man. Don't let him play with fire or get his hands near a female.

Which to me sheds some light on why they do it. They have a tendency towards it and every time they test the boundaries they win. So they keep testing because the only consequences are positive. Some of them manage to cross the line but the reality is most of them have a glimmer of where that final boundary is and never quite cross it.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:57 am

Lenny Bruce once said that a man can be on his death bed and still try to make the nurse.

What a shame some people just don't know how to ask...

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:00 pm

bill o, bush 41, weinstein, ailes, lots of other media people . . looks like we got the crackdown that some h r c people muttered about after the trump crotch grabber tape got out without her being elected . . though since all swings like a pendulum, we must all be somewhat careful for what we wish . . . this kind of thing also can be misused by the same kind of people (alpha male jackoffs of all genders) if their fiefdom happens to be administration or legal rather than whatever they call what all of he above called their work . . . anything heavy which can be used as a weapon -- i think sun tzu had something to say about that . . . he and machiavelli, and in some countries like pakistan hitler, are apparently required reading for up and coming business criminals on the make . . . given that elsewhere that list tends to rather include confucius, kant, heine, wittgenstein, hegel, spinoza, and kierkegaard, i treble down on my prior assertion . . . the 15 habits of reprehensible people . . .

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:01 pm

Madsci wrote:In my experience all women have had to deal with sexual harassment at some point in theirs lives. And a majority of them have also been sexually assaulted.

Some of that may be dependent on the definition of sexual harassment. When I first attended a corporate awareness session in the early 90's, it was defined as either being related to physical contact, or statements that indicated that they would gain or be denied employment, promotions, favoritism etc. if one did or didn't "cooperate".

I think now it could probably also cover things like overhearing off-color jokes, guys complaining about their girlfriend/wife, etc.

Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cadfael » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:03 pm

Igor wrote:I think now it could probably also cover things like overhearing off-color jokes, guys complaining about their girlfriend/wife, etc.

Sorry, I'm not following you. Could you expand on that a bit?

Return to “Movies”