TV streamer

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Which TV streamer is best

Amazon Fire
No votes
Apple TV
No votes
Chromecast
No votes
Roku
67%
Thorstream
No votes
Other
33%

Total votes: 3

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

TV streamer

Postby Shorty » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:28 pm

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Re: TV streamer

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:02 am

I use a Roku Streaming Stick that I like just fine. It's nice having a device that plugs directly into a TV's HDMI port, which means less clutter in the entertainment center. No set top box, no video cable. There is a power cable that I plug into a USB port on the TV.

The price was right, $40 for a refurb, but if I buy another Roku I'll get something more powerful. This device can be sluggish, especially in the YouTube app. It's also quirky when I wake it up using the remote, which connects via Wi-Fi. I find myself mashing buttons at random over and over to bring up the start screen.

The picture quality at 1080p is good. The device doesn't do 4K, but I don't have a 4K set.

The app selection is great, especially compared to, say, my smart TV. I think media companies developing in this space pretty much always do an app for Roku, even though it's a small, independently owned company, as opposed to competitors like Apple and Amazon. Roku got out front in this market and remains competitive. So when an interesting new streaming service comes along, such as TCM and Criterion's FilmStruck, I can feel pretty confident I'll be able to access it on my Roku.

My single big complaint -- and this is a home theater geek complaint -- is that as I understand it, Roku uses Dolby Digital Plus for surround sound, and my older AV receiver doesn't grok Dolby Digital Plus. So I only get stereo from the Roku. Which is disappointing.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: TV streamer

Postby Shorty » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:44 am

Thanks. I couldn't decide so bought 3: amazon fire stick, Roku Streaming Stick, and chrome cast. Will keep the one I like best and return the others.

So far have tried amazon and roku but I'm not that impressed. They require a lot of clicking to move around among choices, I don't like the clicking noise, and they got hot and seem to stay hot even when I turn off tv. I haven't been able to get either one of them to screen cast from my phone or PC which is something I wanted. Also, yesterday the amazon remote stopped working.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”