New MacBook Pros

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

New MacBook Pros

Postby fennel » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:00 pm

What do you think of them?

After neglecting their laptops for years, Apple finally rolled out an incremental upgrade, with a bit more speed, one new UI frill, and a brand new gamut of hindrances for many longtime users.

I have a feeling that the wonderbar, or touchbar or whatever it's called may prove useful for some users, while being the equivalent of the keyboard eraser nub for everyone else.

The number of ports is dramatically reduced, and they are restricted to a single new standard — the latter of which is a step forward, I guess. But it requires the purchaser to buy and keep track of a slew of new dongles, and it means a retreat to the pre-magSafe days: the power connector is just another plug-in cable, ready to invite damage by any number of common (and understood) user maneuvers.

Users who have more than one or two external drives/displays/input devices, seemed to have been overlooked. Flexibility and configurability seems to be on the wane, in favor of adherence to prescribed fashion.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Re: New MacBook Pros

Postby Ducatista » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:59 pm

To me it reads like a half-assed swing at the Surface market. There are some intriguing hints at advancements to come, but there's no WAY I would sign on to an early gen of this new design.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: New MacBook Pros

Postby fennel » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:25 pm

... AND it turns out that the flash storage on the full-sized model is not upgradeable NOR replaceable — even by an Apple dealer. So in that respect it's like a Bic lighter, though slightly more expensive.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”