Slow browser

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Slow browser

Postby Beaver » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:43 am

The browsers on my pc have gotten slow. Chrome, firefox, IE all used to run faster. I get a lot of "javascript stopped working" messages. Is there anything I can do to make them fast again? Should I use a different browser?

Do any of the free Registry cleaning software help? (what is the plural of software?) Like these?

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... %20cleaner

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Slow browser

Postby john_titor » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:48 pm

Google malwarebytes and download the free version and run it on yer machine. Update all your software. Don't click on links.

Your registry needs no cleaning.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:35 pm

Thanks but I ran malwarebytes and browser is still slow.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:17 pm

I quit using Firefox a couple of years ago. Using a Firefox fork now called Pale Moon instead. It is optimized for windows, and a few other OS. It doesn't seem to have the memory leakage problems that plague FF.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:02 pm

Still having problems with slow browsers. I still use the big three: Chrome, firefox, and IE. Chrome used to work the best but has gotten very slow this week. Been getting a lot of "Shockwave stopped working" messages. I uninstalled Chrome and re-installed but didn't seem to help much.

Are there better browsers to use for WIndows? Chromium, Opera, Safari?

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:41 pm

Use the Pale Moon I linked above. It is very fast and made from the Firefox code. The difference being unlike FF made for many OS, Pale Moon is written especially for Windows. It does not have the memory holes that FF does. The memory holes is part of the problem of slowing it down.

Been using it for years. Once in a great while I will use FF as PM does have an issue with certain video formats. Using FF again is agonizing.

Eian Mcneely

Postby Eian Mcneely » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:21 am

Thanks for Pale Moon suggestion it makes browsing bit better in my case, Hope it help others as well

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:47 pm

Thanks I will give Pale moon and Opera a try.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:30 pm

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:08 am

gozer wrote:http://royal.pingdom.com/2012/06/25/using-web-browser-lynx-visit-top-websites/
Haven't used Lynx in quite a while, but it was an excellent no-nonsense browser.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:38 am

if one has something like cygwin, m k s toolkit, at&t unix for windows, the hamilton c shell or the like on a windows machine, one running a direct derivation of windows nt on it in particular, lynx works very well too, and it is possible to expand the window beyond 80 x 24 . . . at 132 x 60 in an m k s bash window the cdc.gov, pitiesalpetriere.aphp.fr, www.pasteur.fr and other such sites work better than on firefox and amazon is better too. . . most shell accounts including those on v m s have lynx as well . . .

it also still handles gopher, of which sites still exist . . . although it was a large dutch i s p recently no longer offering that service when they were down to 11 users that made myself and others consider starting our own i s p, one that would offer windows 2000 shell accounts amongst other things like uucp, pop2, pop3, imap *and* exchange mail all at the same time amongst other things

Return to “Technology & Video Games”