Yahoo breach

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Yahoo breach

Postby Beaver » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:57 pm

If this happened in 2014, why didn't they report it sooner? Who is a state-sponsored actor? N. Korea? Russia?

500 million Yahoo accounts breached
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2016 ... /90824934/

"Information from at least 500 million Yahoo accounts was stolen from the company in 2014, and the company said Thursday it believes that a state-sponsored actor was behind the hack.

The information may have included names, email addresses, telephone numbers, dates of birth, and, in some cases, encrypted or unencrypted security questions and answers, Yahoo said.

Claims surfaced in early August that a hacker using the name "Peace" was trying to sell the usernames, passwords and dates of birth of Yahoo account users on the dark web — a black market of thousands of secret websites."

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Yahoo breach

Postby fennel » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:57 pm

As they say, any PR is good PR. But I mean, really, that had that many accounts? Yahoo evokes the era of goatees and cigar bars.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:14 pm

fennel wrote:I mean, really, that had that many accounts? Yahoo evokes the era of goatees and cigar bars.

I wondered if I still had a Yahoo account so I checked and yep, I sure do. I couldn't even remember the email address I had with them so I had to request a temporary password through my main email, then log in with that to reset my password. When I did this I saw my "recent activity". Apparently, the last time I'd logged in was 2 years ago, also requiring a password reset (and probably because of a similar news story, I'd reckon.) Before that, the last time I'd logged in was 3 years prior. I'd just cancel it but not only do I see no easy way to do this and am too lazy to look further, they literally have no personal info of mine beyond my name, birthday, and email, so who cares?

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:25 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:... they literally have no personal info of mine beyond my name, birthday, and email, so who cares?
That's key. And I always wonder why users would put themselves at risk by providing that kind of information. I've never used my real name for that type of e-mail service, though I'm sure it can be inferred, these days. A birth date, or even birthday, is one more data point to link you with other information about you.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:32 pm

fennel wrote:I've never used my real name for that type of e-mail service . . .

I don't remember why I had this account in the first place, but yeah, I wish I hadn't.
Last edited by Prof. Wagstaff on Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:35 pm

They release news of a 2-year-old data breach during final negotiations to sell off their email services (along with the rest of Yahoo, whatever that amounts to)? I found the timing curious, as if someone was trying to say that so called asset wasn't as valuable as you thought. Maybe somebody is mad about Marissa Mayer's multi million dollar severance package.

I do have a legacy Yahoo account. All these stray business contacts and people who email me once a year have it, and because I don't really maintain an address or friends list, my mammoth in-box is the only place all those names are archived. I just leave everything in Inbox and do a simple search when I want to find somebody. Works for me but it makes killing off that stupid Yahoo account difficult. It's got to be fifteen years old.

Fortunately I never use my real name or birthday for these things, so that's not the problem.

What do you guys prefer for email? I find Outlook workable.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:51 pm

Fastmail is one of a range of paid-for e-mail services. If you purchase your own domain name, you can have a persistent, reliable way to make sure your primary e-mail address is controlled by you.

They provide utilities for migrating one's accounts, etc. If a certain service doesn't work out for you, you can always migrate to another service, since you own the domain name.

Sometimes, free just isn't worth it.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:33 am

I use yahoo for most of my personal and some of my financial email (statements from Alliant, Charter, MGE, TDS, amazon, ebay, groupon, best buy). If a hacker got those statements they would get my name, address, phone number, all of which are already in the phonebook, but not much else of use is on those statements, right? I tried gmail but hate the interface so gave up on it. I don't know of any free email service better than yahoo.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:57 am

Why anyone still uses yahoo is beyond me. Their email system has been hacked repeatedly over the years. I have gotten spam more than once from hackers who broke into users address books.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:55 pm

What free email is better than yahoo?

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:22 pm

Beaver wrote:What free email is better than yahoo?

Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail etc: they are all spammer havens, and I can't comprehend why anyone would use them for email.

The best email is usually your internet provider. If you have Charter, it comes with up to 20 free email addys. However you must sent Charter an opt out email to tell them not to share your email, and not to send you email offers.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:05 pm

Roy wrote:
Beaver wrote:What free email is better than yahoo?

Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail etc: they are all spammer havens, and I can't comprehend why anyone would use them for email.

I've had email accounts on two of those for over a decade with nearly no issues at all. Exactly who are you giving your email address to?

The other thing you need to realize is that it doesn't matter which provider you use-- if someone you've been emailing has their computer or email account compromised, spammers are going to get your email address anyway. Best you can hope for is a good spam filter, but regardless you might still get something that looks like it comes from a friend of yours. If the language or link looks suspicious, don't click it-- ask your friend if they sent it to you.

Roy wrote:The best email is usually your internet provider. If you have Charter, it comes with up to 20 free email addys. However you must sent Charter an opt out email to tell them not to share your email, and not to send you email offers.

That's great until you change providers from moving or a better offer or whatever. Then your address changes and you have to notify everyone, change any accounts where it's recorded, etc.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:20 pm

Yet again.

Yahoo says data stolen from 1 billion accounts

And I ask again, why would anyone have a Yahoo account?

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:45 pm

Anyone who uses yahoo or gmail email is asking for trouble. Both are strongholds for spammers. What do spammers want most? Email addresses!

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:07 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Yet again.

Yahoo says data stolen from 1 billion accounts

And I ask again, why would anyone have a Yahoo account?

I've had one for years with no problems. I hope that's OK with you.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”