Dark Souls III

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Dark Souls III

Postby pjbogart » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:11 am

Here we are. I've been crowing about this series for several years now and I've yet to meet a single foron who shares my love for the punishing Dark Souls series. But we're at the end of the line. FROM Software says this is the last, though perhaps Demon's Souls or Bloodborne could get a well deserved sequel. But this is it for Dark Souls...

So, are you ready to die?

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Dark Souls III

Postby pjbogart » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:22 am

BTW, I'm currently sitting on "helper" characters for Dark Souls and Bloodborne if anyone needs a boost to convince them to tackle Dark Souls III. I can help you with any area at any level, for the most part. I even have an SL20 sitting at Gwyn who can load you up with consumables and upgrades to make your journey more manageable. And an NG+7 sitting at Orphan, if you want to see some serious difficulty via password. I also have a BL120 with every boss area open, just in case someone gets stuck.

Dark Souls games aren't for everyone, but if you're mildly sadistic and seriously masochistic, I can help you scratch that itch.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:59 pm

It's alive.

Prepare to die.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:25 pm

On the off chance that any forons bought Dark Souls 3, the second section is brutally difficult and you should persevere to find a more playable game as you get in deeper. Focus more on you health and equipment load and worry less about your damage output. You don't do much damage when "You Died" screens are appearing constantly, so focus on what keeps you alive.

I'm not going to venture into review-land, having played only the first few bosses, but despite incredible frustration (even for veterans) in the second area, Dark Souls 3 seems like something really special. Once you gain your footing, that is. I'm currently wandering around the fourth area and called it a night after something grotesque decided to eat my head.

Dark Souls 3 is very challenging. I died more times in the second world than I did in my entire first playthrough of Bloodborne. Easily. But even exploring every nook and cranny in the third segment, I only died once and killed the boss on the first try. So there's hope.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:09 am

I know, you're all dying to see pj beat the final boss of Dark Souls 3 (solo, of course). Spoilers ahead, obviously. I fucked up my recording of the hardest boss, which was the optional "Nameless King", which is really too bad because almost everyone seems to have a summons for that one and I killed him solo after many, many tries. But this is the final boss, even if it isn't the hardest boss:

I'm not sure how I managed to make so many mistakes and still survive. I'm thinking pure luck, but perhaps FROM inserted some code for "this guys sucks, give him the kill". It actually only took a few tries and the previous boss took about 20, it seems. I'm sure it was less, but it seemed like 20.

So, my overall opinion on Dark Souls 3? Freakin' masterpiece. I really only have one criticism, though it's a big one. When I went to help other people with hard bosses it seemed pathetically easy. Not in the normal sense of "of course it's easier, you have a helper," but more like, "this is so easy it seems pointless to help this person." Basically, summoning is "easy mode" for a game that has no easy mode. The bosses simply don't ramp up enough to make the fight challenging and that's very disappointing to a guy who loves helping other people with bosses. I don't want an auto-kill. I want a struggle. And in an otherwise flawless game, Dark Souls 3 falls short on that front.

It starts out too hard, and it ends too hard too. Which is appropriate. It's Dark Souls.

You died.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed May 18, 2016 12:27 am

Sorry guys, I've been MIA. A new Dark Souls game does that to me.

But I've got something exciting for you! I'm playing the game as an SL1, meaning I chose the weakest starting class and I'm playing the game without leveling up a single time!

It's not going great, I suspect my age is taking a toll on my reflexes, but it's not going terrible, either.

Here's me fighting a late game boss, still at level 1...

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue May 24, 2016 10:41 pm

Can pj actually pull of the elusive sl1 run? It's the crown jewel of the Dark Souls challenges. Even better than a "no death run".

A lot of people say that Aldrich is the most difficult boss in SL1, even if he's not that hard under normal level progression. You need a plan because he has lots of homing attacks and follows them up with homing attacks so you need to manage your stamina. But I think I came up with a good strategy and managed to beat him.

At SL1. C'mon, no lurkers at SL60 willing to offer me some praise for this feat?

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue May 24, 2016 11:18 pm

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:24 am

I did it! The holy grail of gaming! The completion of a Dark Souls game on SL1 (soul level one))!

Basically, every Dark Souls game has a "deprived" character that gives you the ability to start out the game at a serious disadvantage and actually run through the game carrying that disadvantage as a badge of honor. Beating the game without ever leveling up that character is something of an accomplishment among gamers. And not only did I kill the final boss of Dark Souls III with a level one character, I also beat the hardest boss, the optional "Nameless King" with my SL1:

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:12 pm

You're back! I was just last night wondering when you'd send up a flare.

I'll watch the videos when I get someplace with a faster server than I'm on now.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:19 pm

And you can hear my goofy narration! I need to buy a capture device and video editing software... I'm just using the PS4's Sharefactory program and a stand-alone mic that really picks up too much ambient noise (and makes me sound like I have a lisp, somehow).

Anyway, the videos aren't much to watch unless you're actually looking to beat the game yourself. They can be kind of long and drawn out and I'm not a very entertaining narrator. But I get emotional at the end of both of these fights just because they were so hard to pull off.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:20 am

I bought an Elgato HD60 and Corel video editing software, and I'm pretty happy with my new videos, which look far better and give me a lot of editing options I previously lacked. It's too bad I did the really impressive videos pre-upgrade, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Check out my new software and give me some feedback:

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:51 am

Having some fun with my new setup. Making intros and outros that are probably more entertaining than my actual content...

The first ten seconds and the last ten seconds are really the stars.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:02 am

I know you don't appreciate what you're watching, but watch this 50 second video anyway. This is me visceraling two really difficult enemies at base level and clowning the moment...

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:49 pm

Even I can tell this was cool, with your guy sitting down at the end.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”