Generic Ink Cartridges

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Generic Ink Cartridges

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:41 pm

I've got an Epson printer. I went generic on the ink right after I bought it a year ago. My black ink won't print. It happened right after I replaced cartridges. I even put in a new black cartridge to no avail. I did all the maintenance and trouble shooting. Do I youtube the nozzle cleaning video and try that? How is your experience with generic cartridges?

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Generic Ink Cartridges

Postby Igor » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:32 am

Tried them last time. They seem to be not very reliable, at least for us.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:38 am

Does anybody print stuff at home often enough to keep the ink from drying out? I needed to print something exactly one time last year, and I got it done at the library for ten cents a page. I got rid of my own printer some time ago. Just curious, not trying to be nasty.

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:05 am

I use an HP color laser printer. The toner cartridges cost $$$. So I tried ordering "remanufactured" ones from some outfit called "Abacus 24-7". The first time they worked okay for a while.
The second time, they just sent me some empty ones. Bastards.
I ordered just the black one from another vendor: "Supplies Outlet". At least it had toner in it. But there's always some streaks on my printouts because there's some damage inside it. Hidden bonus: the step-granddaughters no longer want to print their homework at my house.
The benefit of the laser is that it doesn't dry out and clog up if you don't use it. And once you have a full toner cartridge it lasts many more pages than a (st)ink-jet. Photos don't look as good though.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:17 am

Not sure what you mean by Generic Ink Cartridges. I always get ink refills at U Bookstore, cheaper than buying new ink. It's worked well for me and the refills last a year or two. Otherwise, do like sno says and use the library printer.

How old is your printer? Is there an error message? There are lots of good inkjet printers on craigslist for $50 or less.
Last edited by Shorty on Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:33 am

Your nozzles are not clogged, as it seems you did the clean from the print utilities, The print head is likely bad. This assumes the printer goes through the motions with no ink transfer.

In other words time for a new printer. as replacement would be more than new.

I bought an Epson NX430 all-in-one printer, scanner, fax, copier for well under $100

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:10 am

How come you don't just use a document capture app on your phone instead of a scanner and copier? I think the app actually gets a better image.

Hardly anybody has a fax machine. The chances of both a sender and their intended recipient having one are pretty small. Sometimes two businesses get in the habit of faxing things back and forth, but eventually somebody retires and they go 21st century.

These are some of the dozens of separate pieces of equipment made obsolete by our phones. Others are alarm clocks, timers, calculators, all the different recording media and their players, and separate TVs. If you like the idea of an electronically controlled house, add in all the gadgets that will soon migrate to your phone. Think of all the old office paper and equipment you've gotten rid of. Think of all the books, magazines, and newspapers you read electronically.

Home printers are in the same category, I'd say. Good riddance to all the clutter.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:34 am

Hold on there. Most work places have a fax machine. I have occasional needs to fax work places (insurance and investment docs mainly).

I prefer a calculator with real buttons over a smartphone. TV? I want a real TV not a tiny phone screen. Recording media and their players? Do you mean camera and camcorder? Again, I'd rather use real ones with better zoom, functions, and image quality than a smart phone. I don't have an ereader or tablet so don't read books, magazines, and newspapers electronically. I prefer paper and ink. Easier on my eyes, easier to turn pages.

In general, dedicated gadgets are better than a smartphone at what they do. I agree Home printers are clutter unless you use them much. But it's more convenient to have one at home than go to library.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:03 pm

My Epson did great on remanufactured ink cartridges for over a year. Looks like I've got nothing to lose if I try the head cleaning as shown on youtube. And I definitely need a printer.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:34 pm

Shorty wrote:Hold on there. Most work places have a fax machine. I have occasional needs to fax work places (insurance and investment docs mainly).

I prefer a calculator with real buttons over a smartphone. TV? I want a real TV not a tiny phone screen. Recording media and their players? Do you mean camera and camcorder? Again, I'd rather use real ones with better zoom, functions, and image quality than a smart phone. I don't have an ereader or tablet so don't read books, magazines, and newspapers electronically. I prefer paper and ink. Easier on my eyes, easier to turn pages.

In general, dedicated gadgets are better than a smartphone at what they do. I agree Home printers are clutter unless you use them much. But it's more convenient to have one at home than go to library.

Oh my god, then by all means keep your printer, especially if it has one of those special cables that only fits in the printer port. Keep your eight track. Keep your Panasonic cassette recorder, and your Mac LCII and the CD player that holds five disks on a little turntable inside. Save all the floppy disks where you archived your tax returns in 1995. And never, ever get rid of those big ol' speakers that connect to your amp with the red and white wires. Those are hard to find.

Sorry I brought it up. It's hard relating to humans when I'm out here writing from a different dimension.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:56 pm

Anyone else do well with remanufactured ink cartridges?

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:22 pm

Tried them years ago with bad luck. They would need cleaning if not used every few days.

They may have improved now however.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:11 pm

Some of us don't have smart phones and don't want them. I want my freedom from the super connected world and I have it. And I don't like looking at some micro-screen and trying to figure out what is all means.
A printer is a way to have a hard copy of important documentation. I don't totally trust electronic archives. I do not connect to our printer with a cable.
BTW my spawn is an up and coming young techie and she has a printer. But then again she is a multimedia graphic artist.
As it's said different strokes for different folks.

I buy new cartridges when needed, every few years or so.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:00 pm

Four years ago I bought these on Amazon.

I've been all over my supplies cabinet and can only find three of the ten. Two black and a red. I can't remember if I used em all or lost some but I know I've changed two black and at least one each of blue and yellow.

They have behaved like OEM cartridges. No problems. I think it's due more to a good system design than quality of the cartridge. The cartridge and socket mechanism is simple and solid. I knew it was a gamble and got lucky this time.

I bet I used all of them which makes me think they don't last quite as long as the official ones. Otherwise they've been fine.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:53 pm

I googled for help yesterday also. One of the yahoo posts is correct: If you've gone through the head cleaning and alignment procedures and it still doesn't print, let it sit for at least 4 hours and try again. I've got it near perfect now. If it aint broke, don't fix it. I've been pretty lucky with my Amazon supplier. I'll have to look into whether University Book Store offers better. I design a newsletter and post various notices so ya I need a printer. It's cheaper and faster than a car or a bike.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”