Apple rotten to the core

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Apple rotten to the core

Postby Beaver » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:52 am

I've never been a fan of Apple or their over-priced products.

Apple’s Web of Tax Shelters Saved It Billions, Panel Finds
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/21/busin ... d=all&_r=0

"Even as Apple became the nation’s most profitable technology company, it avoided billions in taxes in the United States and around the world through a web of subsidiaries so complex it spanned continents and went beyond anything most experts had ever seen, Congressional investigators disclosed on Monday...

Congressional investigators found that some of Apple’s subsidiaries had no employees and were largely run by top officials from the company’s headquarters in Cupertino, Calif. But by officially locating them in places like Ireland, Apple was able to, in effect, make them stateless — exempt from taxes, record-keeping laws and the need for the subsidiaries to even file tax returns anywhere in the world.

“Apple wasn’t satisfied with shifting its profits to a low-tax offshore tax haven,” said Senator Carl Levin, a Michigan Democrat who is chairman of the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations that is holding the public hearing Tuesday into Apple’s use of tax havens. “Apple successfully sought the holy grail of tax avoidance. It has created offshore entities holding tens of billions of dollars while claiming to be tax resident nowhere.”

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Apple rotten to the core

Postby jman111 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:31 am

This is why we need to eliminate job-killing regulations!

Oh...wait.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:11 am

EU hits Apple with $14.6 billion tax bill
EU also eyeing Amazon, McDonald's, Google, Starbucks
http://www.channel3000.com/money/europe ... l/41431024

"The tax ruling is the biggest the European Union has ever made regarding a single company, and it could spark a huge transatlantic row over how Europe treats U.S. companies."

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:00 am

Beaver wrote:I've never been a fan of Apple or their over-priced products.

Apple’s Web of Tax Shelters Saved It Billions, Panel Finds
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/21/busin ... d=all&_r=0

"Even as Apple became the nation’s most profitable technology company, it avoided billions in taxes in the United States and around the world through a web of subsidiaries so complex it spanned continents and went beyond anything most experts had ever seen, Congressional investigators disclosed on Monday...

that is called "money laundering" if the continuing enterprise is
involved in something of which the d c shitbird syndicate does not
approve, no? folks in clowngress and others reflexively insinuate that
islamic banking, trading in one's federal fraud notes for silver, gold,
platinum, palladium &c, various online means of exchange are a means of
laundering money, but apparently would like to look the other way on the
above for any of a number of reasons. that they *can* be used for that
is about as relevant as that having cash can as well . . .

i used to wonder what the long-term effect of apple's stultifying approach
to operating system design would be, but it
apparently hasn't cretinised their finance people. aside from the fact that taxes due on that money
could have been used to feed poor people, i salute them for finding yet
another way to frustrate those pigs in washington d c . . . coz they are
more interested in subsidising their enemies like the persian gulf states
and all the wrong people they can find in syria, yemen, and libya anyways
whilst making laughable noises attempts to strangle russia. . .

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:21 am

Beaver wrote:I've never been a fan of Apple or their over-priced products.

I've never been a fan of fanboys or their sourpuss opposites, the antifanboys.

Apple products are overpriced for you because you don't like, want, or need them. For me, any non-Apple phone/PC/tablet costing more than "We'll give you money to take this" is overpriced, because I don't like, want, or need it.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:41 am

I think we just get used to an operating system and it feels like home, even with its quirks. I can never understand why Apple's settings are stored the way they are, for instance, and everything about Windows seems incredibly obtuse to me. I got used to Linux way back in the 90s and I like Android (one of its successors) today. It's a fine operating system.

You can find something politically unsavory about Microsoft, Apple, and Google. They're all creepy in one way or another.

But I don't see the point in creating big fan-arguments over any of this. If you have to use a different operating system (for work or whatever) you need to be able to do it as a matter of professionalism, and as a matter of basic digital literacy. It's like arguments over automatic versus manual transmissions. A competent driver can get along with either one even if they have a personal favorite.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:06 am

But there are lots of folks, technologists, etc. who simply will not do Windows. For them, that's a prerequisite for any job. In this case, it's a matter of professionalism that they don't get backed into a corner and be forced into using an OS that hobbles them.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:13 pm

Three of my teams use Macs because that's the industry standard for their respective disciplines (graphic design/production, photo, and video).

The fourth team uses windows machines because a key piece of software they currently use doesn't run native on the Mac OS. A few on that team would rather be on Macs... and since they're moving to a web-based workflow, I'll try to build Macs into the budget once their current machines age out of the program.

Whichever environment you prefer, it's not awesome to be forced into the other, especially not when you're spending 8+ hours a day in it.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:04 pm

In the higher ed world, there's a huge incentive to develop and make use of open source software, which largely implies needing to work with some kind of *nix system. There are folks who develop OSS using Windows, of course, but integrating that into a workflow is anything but seamless.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:56 pm

I'll take a rotten core over an exploding one.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:14 pm

I love my mac...

Return to “Technology & Video Games”