Home data backup

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Home data backup

Postby Huckleby » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:51 pm

I just had a 1 TB MyBook drive die. It held a ton of stuff collected over past 5 years that I will miss, especially my ginormous music collection. I sorta have most of it in other formats, but the hours spent collecting and organizing... Very painful loss. I do have more important stuff double-backed up to thumb drive.

I think home backup drives are an illusion. Unless you invest in some expensive redundant system, you're waiting for disaster.

I think I will invest $7 per month in Microsoft's 1 TB cloud backup, which includes subscription to their Office software. I don't need Office, I've migrated to the slightly clutzy Office Libre freeware.

Do you backup your computer stuff to thumb drives, or some other system, or are you flying commando?

http://www.businessinsider.com/best-clo ... ve-2014-12

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Home data backup

Postby Roy » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:27 pm

If you use Windows 10 you can use Microsoft Cloud to backup.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:36 pm

A couple of times a month or so, I do image backups of my hard drives to big external drives. So I have two copies of all my files at all times. Really should do this more often. I use the System Image Backup feature in Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:59 pm

Roy wrote:If you use Windows 10 you can use Microsoft Cloud to backup.

Is that the operating system and application software? I really don't give two thoughts to that stuff, although maybe I should. I have a system recovery disk, and can always reload programs.

I can't imagine that Windows 10 gives you free backup for all your work and fun.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:01 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:A couple of times a month or so, I do image backups of my hard drives to big external drives. So I have two copies of all my files at all times. Really should do this more often. I use the System Image Backup feature in Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Sounds like a good idea. But my hobbies sometimes lead me to collect music and video that I don't necessarily want to accumulate on the hard disk.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:15 pm

I use Carbon Copy Cloner which allows you to keep a bootable backup version of your HD on an external drive. You can then clone that backup onto a new machine, and you're good to go.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:21 pm

Huckleby wrote:
Roy wrote:If you use Windows 10 you can use Microsoft Cloud to backup.

Is that the operating system and application software? I really don't give two thoughts to that stuff, although maybe I should. I have a system recovery disk, and can always reload programs.

I can't imagine that Windows 10 gives you free backup for all your work and fun.

I misspoke, actually it is called OneDrive and you can store up to 1 terabyte for Office or 5GB free.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:46 pm

None of this will matter when North Korea or Iran surprise EMP bomb us, or a solar flare hits at the wrong place at the wrong time. It's the next Pearl Harbor, and unless you're 80+ you'll see it in your lifetime. Which won't be longer than a few weeks.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:16 pm

Roy wrote:I misspoke, actually it is called OneDrive and you can store up to 1 terabyte for Office or 5GB free.

Ya, that's the direction I will likely go. It's $7 per month for a full Office license plus 1 TB of storage. That is an incredibly good deal, even if you don't much need Office.

I used to do a lot of development using Access. I now use the database that comes with Libre Office for my minimal needs. But jeez, even as a bare-bones DB, that thing is a piece of shit. I'll be happy to tool around again with Access.

BTW, I find dropbox to be a very nice free tool to share 2GB of stuff between computers. Microsoft offers a better deal on 1 TB, however.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:28 am

Huckleby wrote:I think home backup drives are an illusion. Unless you invest in some expensive redundant system, you're waiting for disaster.

I don't know how to say this without coming off as rude, so I'll just say it: the point of a back-up is that it mirrors another location of all your files, so that if one fails, you have an intact instance to recreate a back-up from. If all your files are on a single instance, THEN IT'S NOT A BACK-UP.

If you lost all of your files permanently, then you never had them backed-up.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:44 am

green union terrace chair wrote: If all your files are on a single instance, THEN IT'S NOT A BACK-UP.

I get what you are saying. It's not so black and white. I didn't lose files per se, or not much. But my 1 TB of information was curated, organized. It would take a lot of work to reconstruct it from other media - CDs, thumb drives, etc. The information is backed-up in a rough sense.

To have a backup in the strict definition you are using would require 2 MyBooks, and a lot of hassle. I accepted the risk of a crash, I'm backed-up well enough to CDs and thumb drives.

Oh, and BTW, very few people do daily backups and keep strict redundancy at home, I don't think. Maybe those who fit all their info on a local hard disk can do so pretty easily.

People are getting "My Cloud" network attached backup servers as central stores for movies and other media, and to backup files from individual machines. They aren't necessarily maintaining strict and 100% redundancy, unless they buy more expensive mirrored devices that do redundancy automatically. Their movies are backed-up on DVDs, so they can reconstruct after a crash, albeit painfully.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:29 am

The only thing I back up to three places is my Quicken files. All the rest of my documents and photos get backed up from the internal hard drive on my desktop to an external hard drive.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:37 am

I have amazon prime and get unlimited photo storage and 5gb of videos and files for free. For $60/yr you get unlimited everything: https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/home

This says idrive is best. For $60/yr you get 1tb. They had some crazy promotion last year I took for something like $5/yr for 1tb: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2288745,00.asp:

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:44 am

Huckleby wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote: If all your files are on a single instance, THEN IT'S NOT A BACK-UP.

I get what you are saying. It's not so black and white. I didn't lose files per se, or not much. But my 1 TB of information was curated, organized. It would take a lot of work to reconstruct it from other media - CDs, thumb drives, etc. The information is backed-up in a rough sense.

Ah, I get ya. I would suggest either a back-up drive that takes complete images of your working hard drives on a scheduled basis (so if your computer suffers a hard crash you can easily rebuild it), or backing up to RAIDed (mirrored) drives for double-redundancy, or backing up to a cloud-option. Dropbox offers 20gb or so for free, or you can pay $10/mo for 1TB.

If you want to get real, keep monthly back-ups in a safety deposit box.

If you want to get real real, keep monthly back-ups in a safety deposit box in another state.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:25 pm

green union terrace chair wrote: Ah, I get ya. I would suggest either a back-up drive that takes complete images of your working hard drives on a scheduled basis (so if your computer suffers a hard crash you can easily rebuild it), or backing up to RAIDed (mirrored) drives for double-redundancy, or backing up to a cloud-option.

Ya, I suppose people with giant video or music collections should consider something more secure. I always assumed my drive would die someday, but the reality of having to reconstruct from raw media backups is grim.

I'm becoming a believer in cloud backup. I already use and love the free dropbox for convenient sharing.

In the extremely remote chance anyone is interested, I will describe my tale of woe. I moved MyBook to a newer computer, and as part of install, I allowed Western Digital's software to update firmware. What could go wrong? That process failed, trashing the firmware on MyBook. (This was a horrible bug in older MyBooks.)

I have an insanely large collection of Xmas music, and I was just getting ready to select and transfer some jolly jolly tunes to a thumb drive for this week's background. Then my Clark Griswold moment came.

I bought a $20 SATA-USB3 enclosure to try and pull all data off myself, but evidently the trashed firmware is on hard drive controller board - no luck.
There is a company that swaps controller boards for under $100. I'm pretty certain data is fine, I may get the drive repaired.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”