iphone pocket dialing

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

iphone pocket dialing

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:08 pm

How is is it the superhuman beings at Apple have yet to create a simple way to avoid the pocket-dial, or the brush-against-my-leg-dial, or the I-accidentally-breathed-on-my-fucking-phone-dial?

It only happens to me off the missed call/call history screen. A simple 2-step process that asks you if you want to make this call just like the confirmation question when you want to delete a picture is all it would take. Christ, you can't just call someone off your contacts list without the second tap on the itsy bitsy little phone picture.

It's just so fucking ridiculous! Android seems to have an app to avoid this. I will switch in a heartbeat for that reason alone. I hate this phone.

Yeah that was just a rant. Not really looking for any advice like remembering to always click the phone off after a call. That's not gonna happen. It shouldn't have to.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Re: iphone pocket dialing

Postby Roy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:17 pm

narcoleptish wrote:How is is it the superhuman beings at Apple have yet to create a simple way to avoid the pocket-dial, or the brush-against-my-leg-dial, or the I-accidentally-breathed-on-my-fucking-phone-dial?

Hard to believe Apple doesn't have protection. My $19.95 LG (via tracfone) does.

If I have it in my pocket with the screen towards my body it blanks the screen. Same when against my ear. The manual says it is for user protection. This is a real pain if I have to wade through a non-human menu: The delay is 3-5 seconds to get the screen when I pull from my ear.

This has to come from truther/conspiracy theories, as there is nothing in the phone, operating or not, that can harm you.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:45 pm

narcoleptish wrote:It's just so fucking ridiculous! Android seems to have an app to avoid this. I will switch in a heartbeat for that reason alone. I hate this phone.

What app is this? Does it require rooting? My Samsung Galaxy S5's screen is waaaay too sensitive, much more so than the last iPhone I owned. It's to the point that if I'm out on sweaty summer day with the screen in my pocket facing my leg, I'll look at the phone to see that it's randomly called/texted various contacts, changed settings, and all manner of other obnoxious behavior. I'm waiting for the day when the cops pull up because my phone decided to pocket-dial 911.

FJD
Forum God/Goddess

Postby FJD » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:50 pm

I don't know about an app for android, but if you lock the screen it should prevent pocket dials (although I personally locked it to avoid excessive pictures of my pocket).

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:51 pm

Roy wrote:This has to come from truther/conspiracy theories, as there is nothing in the phone, operating or not, that can harm you

Well...... to be at either extreme of certainty on that issue is foolish. Only time will tell and the enormous amount of money that's made off of wireless communications guarantees that any negative findings will be buried for a long time yet.

And that's as far as I'll go on that subject.... now if you'll excuse me I have to answer a call I apparently made.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:56 pm

I came across references to an android app in my search for an apple answer but I can't find it again.

The locking only works if you remember to turn your phone off (which I don't) and turning the phone off would solve the problem without the lock feature anyway. If I call someone off of the missed call list, when you hang up it reverts back to that list and that's when I call someone by accident either by just holding the phone or slipping it into my pocket, etc.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:04 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Christ, you can't just call someone off your contacts list without the second tap on the itsy bitsy little phone picture.

At the risk of violating your "don't talk to me" statement, maybe you're unaware that you only have tap the name, then the number -- no need to specifically hit the phone icon. And if you don't want to do the second tap, add that number to your Favorites and you only have to tap once.

I could give you an analog-y analogy to explain why it shouldn't be a big deal to click the Sleep button after a call, but I feel I'm risking too much already.

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:11 pm

I guess I've been in the habit of locking my phone since 1999 (Nokia 6110, when cell phones were PHONES) that I haven't encountered this problem since 1999. If you don't want to butt dial or butt anything, you gotta lock it. Just get in the habit.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:33 pm

massimo wrote:If you don't want to butt dial or butt anything, you gotta lock it. Just get in the habit.

I always do. Problem with the Samsung is that a sweaty thigh while walking will imitate the swiping action of unlocking it.

One way to get around this is to require a code or pattern unlock immediately after locking. The problem with this is it's really annoying to enter that code every single time if I'm using the phone frequently.

The other solution is to face the phone outward when it's hot out or I'm working up a sweat. Problem with this is now the screen is vulnerable to impacts against hard objects.

On top of all of this, the screen is so sensitive that just hovering over the keyboard will produce unwanted taps. Yes, I checked, and the "increased sensitivity" for tapping with gloves on is not selected. I've been waiting through multiple versions of the OS for some method of decreasing the sensitivity (lots of online threads about this problem), but still no dice.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:47 pm

A quick search for apps using "pocket dial prevention" on my Android turns up at least a dozen.

I turn my phone off (or maybe put it to sleep) after a call so I haven't tried any of the apps.

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:50 pm

Any way to diable the swiping action unlock feature? I like that I have to press a button, a real hardware button, to unlock the iPhone. And yeah, I have a passcode too which is a pain and I'd like to roll without one, but the added security is worth it so I pay the price.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:51 pm

C'mon, nobody really makes actual calls with cell phones any more, do they?

I thought they were just for web surfing and texting while driving.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:16 pm

jman111 wrote:C'mon, nobody really makes actual calls with cell phones any more, do they?
I think of them as pocket watches — with a few added features, surely, but basically pocket watches.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:51 pm

narcoleptish wrote:
Roy wrote:This has to come from truther/conspiracy theories, as there is nothing in the phone, operating or not, that can harm you

Well...... to be at either extreme of certainty on that issue is foolish. Only time will tell and the enormous amount of money that's made off of wireless communications guarantees that any negative findings will be buried for a long time yet.

And that's as far as I'll go on that subject.... now if you'll excuse me I have to answer a call I apparently made.

And what are your credentials in the RF, and microwave electronics field? (In which I worked for over 40 years)

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:34 pm

thebookpolice wrote:At the risk of violating your "don't talk to me" statement, maybe you're unaware that you only have tap the name, then the number -- no need to specifically hit the phone icon. And if you don't want to do the second tap, add that number to your Favorites and you only have to tap once.

I could give you an analog-y analogy to explain why it shouldn't be a big deal to click the Sleep button after a call, but I feel I'm risking too much already.

Oh c'mon man, I applauded your line in the bbq thread. I'm making nice.

I was unaware of the tap name and number thing, so thanks.

As far as just getting use to clicking off the phone, I've tried and it just doesn't always happen. A hundred different things can distract you at the end of a call and all it takes is to wrap your fingers around the phone as you're lowering it to your side, and your making an unplanned call. The simple addition of a confirmation tap would stop the vast majority of these. Why wouldn't they have done this already?

And for godsakes, locking the phone doesn't matter here. My phone is not accidentally turning on in my pocket, I'm just using the term pocket dial as a descriptor for an unplanned call. So enough with the locking advice please.

This was just a rant anyway! Can't a fella just bitch sometimes?

and:

ilikebeans wrote:if I'm out on sweaty summer day with the screen in my pocket facing my leg

ilikebeans wrote:a sweaty thigh while walking will imitate the swiping action

ilikebeans wrote:face the phone outward when it's hot out or I'm working up a sweat.

You probably don't get a lot of people asking to borrow your phone, do you?

Return to “Technology & Video Games”