Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:52 pm

I created an account. I thought it was free. Why, when I tried to make my phone number, do I get a paid subscription rates screen? Google says Skype is free. What's up with this?

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Skype

Postby Roy » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:14 pm

Bwis53 wrote:I created an account. I thought it was free. Why, when I tried to make my phone number, do I get a paid subscription rates screen? Google says Skype is free. What's up with this?

I think Skype is free computer to computer only. ( no land line calls )

I have had MagicJack for years which is much cheaper than Skype, Charter scrotum or any other phone available.

It will cost per year what Skype or Charter Scrotum cost per month.

Magic Jack has gone up from $29.95 a year to $39.95 a year now with free national call. Still a great deal and superb audio quality.
Last edited by Roy on Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:15 pm

Create an outlook.com email account and you get free Skype.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:26 pm

I've already got a yahoo, aol, and gmail accounts. I'm trying to keep it simple.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:52 pm

Bwis53 wrote:II'm trying to keep it simple.

I gave up on that long time ago. I have about 50 web accts (email, photo sharing, banking, stores, etc). I keep all the logons and passwords written down because I can't remember them. Tried dashlane but didn't like it.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:57 pm

I think I opened up the app wrong. Clicked on the icon (which I think is the right way) and got the screen in the tutorial. Will try again later.

peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:51 pm

It is free computer to computer - used it a lot when daughter was not in the US. To call landline or mobile numbers you need to buy skype credit.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:34 pm

I used Skype for years to talk to my daughter in China for free. Now we use WeChat, which seems to be more stable USA to China, probably because WeChat is an app developed in China.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:41 am

We Chat is a terrific app. I was introduced to it by a Chinese friend and we use it regularly to share photos and messages (both of us within the US). Then I shared it with some American friends inside the US and we use the phone call feature all the time. It used to be clunky, where you pressed a button to talk and then waited a second for the other person to do the same, but in the past year it's been upgraded and is as smooth as silk, natural and totally stable.

Highly recommended. My US friends and I tried the Korean phone app, an Indian one, and We Chat and we all decided We Chat worked best for us. In China it's the equivalent of Facebook and everybody has an account where they share media and comments with private circles of friends they set up. It's not only global in reach but very capable and you can use as many or as few features as you choose.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:15 pm

Donald wrote:I used Skype for years to talk to my daughter in China for free. Now we use WeChat, which seems to be more stable USA to China, probably because WeChat is an app developed in China.
Reminds me of the party line. (And as long as you stick to the party line, you'll be fine.)

Return to “Technology & Video Games”