Fallout 4

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Fallout 4

Postby pjbogart » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:47 pm

Strap on your Pip-boys and get ready for Fallout 4, which goes live at 11pm tonight!

For those of you who have never dipped your toe in the Fallout series, essentially it's a post-apocolyptic game that combines elements of a role-playing game and a first-person shooter, which tends to draw a huge crowd. I'm not much of a fanboy of the series; in my old age I seem much more capable of aiming a sword than aiming a gun, but I'm a sucker for hype and Bethesda makes really incredible games so I'll toss them 60 bones on reputation alone. Early reviews are glowing, but fortunately not too glowing as I'm still hoping that FROM software pulls off their first game-of-the-year for Bloodborne.

A few minutes of opening gameplay:

I think for once other people will be playing the same game as me, as Fallout 4 isn't exactly a boutique title and there simply has to be a few other gamers out there.

FJD
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Fallout 4

Postby FJD » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:53 am

I miss the isometric view and turn based combat of the first two games. It does look awesome though.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:23 am

Oh my god. Must. Go. To. Sleep. For all of the bugs, Fallout 4 is riotously fun and addictive. The only reason I'm posting is because if I don't quit playing I'm sure I'll get no sleep at all.

If you want to buy Fallout 4 and haven't yet, put it off for a few weeks (or even months). True to their reputation, Bethesda released the game with a bevy of bugs. If I'm remembering correctly, Skyrim wasn't smoothed out for several months, which is disappointing but it's still considered one of the greatest games ever made. The apologists are predictably pointing out that open world games have a ton of content and therefore it's difficult to make them bug free until a million people are playing and commenting, but I ran into at least a dozen bugs in my first couple of days, so how much playtesting could they have done? A lot, I suppose, but they stuck to their release date even though they knew the game wasn't ready, I suspect.

Like Skyrim, Fallout 4 is huge, wonderfully detailed and has layers of complexity, but if you crank down the difficulty you can just coast your way through the story, for the most part. Level progression isn't terribly intuitive so you might want to read some guides or suggestions. When you gain a level you can put a point into a primary attribute like Strength, Intelligence or Charisma or you can use it to purchase a "perk" provided that your level and base skill are high enough for that perk. For instance, when you turn level 10, you can spend your point on a level of intelligence or spend it on "gun nut" which is part of the intelligence "tree" and allows you to craft better weapons from scavenged parts. But if you've already purchased "gun nut" you'll need to wait until level 13 intelligence to purchase "gun nut 2". There are six main attributes and literally dozens of perks, so you want to be smart about how you spend your points because you simply never have enough.

Crafting is a huge part of the Fallout series, both for weaponry and armor, and when you clear certain areas you can essentially reclaim them from the wild. In order to encourage habitation, residents need a water source and crops initially, but you can build larger communities, including valuable merchants, by increasing defense and amenities on top of the basics. It seems like community building is completely optional, but it's fun and has some significant benefits.

The world of Fallout 4 is far more detailed and attractive than previous installments. Bethesda moved away from the drab, colorless, apocalyptic landscapes that plagued Fallout 3 and created a rich, colorful and scenic world to explore. But it's still pretty bleak, it just has a lot of color.

Combat is typical FPS fare and you can choose how difficult you want it to be but if you press the difficulty, you'll also get better rewards, so it's a balancing act.

It's no Skyrim, and if you only buy a few games per year I'd say it's 3rd on the ladder behind Bloodborne and The Witcher 3, but if you prefer shooters to RPGs (Fallout games are both, really), it might be the most fun you have in 2015.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:17 pm

When you didn't get back with a review for several days, I knew it had sucked you in. In a good way.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:26 pm

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:48 pm

I live in the wasteland. I pretty much go to work and play Fallout 4 and that's it. I'm looking forward to wrapping it up just so I can reclaim my free time. My nephew already finished, but I'm a trophy kinda guy so I tend to scour games and avoiding finishing them too soon, lest I find out I need to play it again for a trophy I missed.

The game has been really fun, but perhaps Bethesda simply knows how to scratch my OCD itches. It can be tedious; I feel like I spend most of my time visiting merchants and building my community rather than clearing Boston of the scourge of mutants and raiders.

I can't shake the feeling that for all of its glory, there's something very generic and formulaic about Fallout 4. It's not that I'm not enjoying it, but it all seems like something I've done before. By forcing me to do all kinds of things I find uninteresting, Bethesda has constructed a perfectly sized cockring to make sure I don't have too much fun. The vistas are beautiful, the adventure is engaging but it's all constantly interrupted by boring distractions. Raiders are attacking one of my settlements! I need to quit having fun and go deal with those raiders. If this were occasional I could excuse it, but it's pretty much constant and seems to be carefully constructed to slow me down.

I need to finish before next Tuesday when the Bloodborne expansion comes out. There shall be no boredom in that, I can guarantee it.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:08 am

Still toolin' along. Nephew is working on his second playthrough but I'm grinding out the side achievements. Still lacking 20 bobbleheads and 50 miscellaneous tasks. "Benevolent Leader" was beastly... hold up on that one because I'm sure it will be patched. "Lovable" was a chore too, but that's fitting, especially for me.

If you're using guides, don't take them too seriously, especially with "Benevolent Leader". The game is pretty new and the advice is hit-or-miss. Especially mine.

But I'm on the launch pad to finish now. I just need to create a hard save and do all of the faction quests from that point.

This game is fucking huge, and not always in a good way. Cleared areas repopulate too quickly and there are way too many sites that have nothing special to explore. Community building (the one significant innovation) is a boring grind.

Basically, Fallout 4 is awesome and it sucks. Simultaneously.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:24 am

Platinum! It really should have taken me longer to platinum this beast but it scratched my OCD itches so I've basically spent two weeks working, playing Fallout and occasionally sleeping. It was a fun ride and the sort of game that has significant replayability, though you can never play it again for the first time.

After I finished I created a new character, "Rad Max", and used the Dogmeat glitch to max his specials. Now when I decide to make another run I can put all of my levels into perks and play around a bit more with character development. If you haven't seen the Dogmeat glitch, I suggest you look it up before they patch it. Essentially, you take the "You Are Special" magazine from your home in Sanctuary (which gives you one free level) and then drop it and have Dogmeat pick it up. If you time it right, you'll pick it up simultaneously, giving you two magazines, one of which will have another free level. This can be repeated until you're level 10 in all of your attributes. The points can't be used on perks, but you can max out your main attributes via a manageable grind and then use all of your level points on perks.

So how was Fallout 4 in retrospect? Really good. But it didn't really break any new ground and needs a few things patched (some of which I was happy to exploit). But it was fun and well worth the pricetag. I'm not a shooter kinda guy, so I didn't feel like it as as special as Skyrim, but I had a great time, nevertheless.

If you're trophy hunting, read a few guides. Benevolent Leader and the 50 miscellaneous quests can be irritating, but there are some tricks and tips to get you through. And make sure you save before you build the teleporter. There are three different endings depending on which faction you align with and all of them have unique (trophy) quests. Make a hard save so you don't have to play start-to-finish three times.

Just in time for the Bloodborne DLC. My nephew is chomping at the bit to co-op that one. And fortunately I have no doubt at all that it will be incredible.

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:11 pm

pjbogart wrote:
But I'm on the launch pad to finish now. I just need to create a hard save and do all of the faction quests from that point.

Wish I would have seen this before I moved ahead. I very much enjoyed the game and logged a ton of hours. Good stuff.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:10 am

john_titor wrote:
pjbogart wrote:

Wish I would have seen this before I moved ahead. I very much enjoyed the game and logged a ton of hours. Good stuff.

Out of curiosity, who did you most align with? The Hippies in the Railroad, the authoritarians in the Brotherhood of Steel, the Autocrat/Plutocrats in the Institute or the do-gooders in the Minutemen?

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:27 pm

Children be damned, I nuked the synths from orbit. I went with the minutemen and railroad, as well as not pissing off the brotherhood. Something happened though where all the villagers got mad at me and started attacking. I made it ~ level 58 or so and stopped playing. I am tempted to go back and wipe all living beings of the map, but that seems like a lot of work. I may go back someday, but starting over seems like a lot of work. The level I was at meant most opponents were one shot one kill, and the grind of finding loot for money a la skyrim got old.

GordonFreeman
Forum Addict

Postby GordonFreeman » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:51 am

A little late to the game, so to speak. It was on discount on Steam. Played it a little bit, not sure it's my thing.

Obviously I loved the Half-Life stuff. The most recent game I purchased was Doom, absolutely awesome. My other favorite time waster is MechWarrior Online.

Am I missing something? Or is this game just not my style?

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:15 am

Fallout 4 is an RPG with heavy FPS elements. If you tend to like games like Doom, you're probably more of an FPS guy and may or may not be turned off by the RPG focus.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”