UW lawsuit against Apple

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

UW lawsuit against Apple

Postby Shorty » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:53 pm

This could help the budget.

UW could get $862M in lawsuit against Apple
http://www.channel3000.com/news/uw-coul ... e/35827470

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Re: UW lawsuit against Apple

Postby massimo » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:55 pm

WARF != UW. Just sayin'.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:01 pm

massimo wrote:WARF != UW. Just sayin'.

They're connected close enough that it would probably help.

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:12 pm

Sure, undoubtedly. But I think the distinction is important, because the money paid by Apple will be WARF's money, not the UW's. WARF will pay royalties on the patents, and perhaps decide to gift the UW a portion of the settlement, but unless I'm way off I'm thinking WARF will add a sizeable amount of any settlement to their enormous ($2.6B) endowment.

WARF is not the patenting/licensing arm of UW, it is a fully separate entity.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:06 pm

Too bad my WARF patents are not so infringe-worthy! I tend to average about $200/yr in royalties. From my limited understanding of the process, many hands get part of the pie and it depends upon the actual contract for intellectual property rights. Of course WARF gets a big slice for the lawyers etal, the UW gets some for it's overhead cost, the department gets a bit, and the principle investigator gets a slice, and the actual inventor gets to lick the plate.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:04 am

WARF only gets $234M instead of $862M. Oh well better than nothing.

WARF wins patent infringement lawsuit against Apple
http://news.wisc.edu/24105?utm_source=i ... 2015-10-20

willystresident
Forum Addict

Postby willystresident » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:27 pm

massimo wrote:Sure, undoubtedly. But I think the distinction is important, because the money paid by Apple will be WARF's money, not the UW's. WARF will pay royalties on the patents, and perhaps decide to gift the UW a portion of the settlement, but unless I'm way off I'm thinking WARF will add a sizeable amount of any settlement to their enormous ($2.6B) endowment.

WARF is not the patenting/licensing arm of UW, it is a fully separate entity.

Technically, WARF is a 501(c)3 Type III Supporting Organization that has to be operated in connection with the UW. If it wasn't integrated with the UW, they can't claim to be a non-profit. For 2014/15 they kicked back $73 million, or 3% of their endowment. Its basically a way for the UW to hold patents and the pot of money they create without the state getting their grubby hands on it.

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:33 pm

Ok, I'll buy that. Thanks for the clarification.

fflambeau
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fflambeau » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:14 pm

"WARF is not the patenting/licensing arm of UW, it is a fully separate entity."

Way off Massimo! They are indeed the patenting and licensing arm of UW but set up as 501(c)(3) under the IRS. So, yes, they are a separate entity but they are still the patenting and technology transfer unit set up to benefit UW.

This is a big win for them. And a big win for UW. As another poster noted, they gave back over $70 million to UW (some in general grants, some to specific departments from which the patent holders did most of their work). It's a great idea and one that has benefited UW, and the State of Wisconsin.

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:35 am

Jesus, dude, read the thread again. I acknowledged my error.

The point I was trying to make is that any settlement money doesn't necessarily go directly to UW. Sure, UW and WARF are tight, but ultimately I think WARF does with the money what they want. If socking a bunch of the settlement away best fits WARF's plan for future projects or future giving, they'll do that. If they'd rather gift the UW a little more cash this year to plug budget shortfalls, then they'll do that. WARF is independent enough that they can make their own decisions on the matter.

Of COURSE this settlement is a good thing for both WARF and UW.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”