Lords of the Fallen

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Lords of the Fallen

Postby pjbogart » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:04 am

I bought this game for my nephew per his request last Christmas and he only completed a few bosses. I asked him about it and he said he got bored with the game. The reviews were mixed, but being a Dark Souls (attempted) clone, I figured I'd give it a go after it came down in price. I don't mean to toot my own horn, but that was a wise decision.

The Lords of the Fallen wasn't terrible, the graphics were good, though irritatingly cartoonish, but the adventure was a reasonably good time even if it was so filled with video game tropes and cliches that it never really separated itself from the games it was imitating. And really, even its imitation was sub-par. It tried really hard to be a Dark Souls title with all of its precise mechanics and methodical combat, but because it takes too much time to make your mechanics precise, the developers opted to simply painfully slow down the combat to give themselves larger windows on the mechanics. That's confusing... let me explain. When combat is extremely tight you only have slight windows of opportunity. Developers need to spend a lot of time coding the combat so that different weapons, rolls speeds, cover speed, etc. are possible regardless of your "build", meaning your armor and weapon load-out. This is what makes Dark Souls virtually in a class of its own. FROM Software spent the time to create that precision. Lords of the Fallen simply slowed everything down to make that precision easier to achieve (and still they failed).

So, as a result, Lords of the Fallen is painfully slow. You swing slow, you dodge slow, you walk slow. But don't worry, because your enemies are painfully slow as well. And gimmicky. There's a certain way to beat each boss, certain windows of opportunity to damage them and once you learn their movesets, you won't have any troubles beating any of the bosses. I like to get my money out of games, so I generally play for "platinum" (all trophies achieved) and in my second playthrough (three required for all trophies) I killed EVERY SINGLE BOSS on the first try. Every one. Granted, I'm kind of a gamer, but that's inexcusable. The problem with gimmicky bosses is that once you know the gimmick, there's really no challenge.

I have kind of a history with my reviews... first I hate the game, then I play it long enough to do all of the trophies and then I apologize for hating the game because I found it pretty entertaining as I spent more time with it. That's not going to be the case with Lords of the Fallen. It was OK. If you've played Dark Souls and don't mind lumbering around as a Havel-monster, you might even enjoy Lords of the Fallen. But even after beating it three times and completing all trophies, the game still seems pretty mediocre.

I think I'd be generous with six out of ten stars. It was like Dark Souls for people with poor reflexes.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”