Windows 10

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Windows 10

Postby Shorty » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:07 pm

Microsoft is making a free Win 10 upgrade available to anyone with Win 7 or Win 8. You just have to click an icon to reserve Win 10 when it is released. I have a laptop with Win 7 so plan to upgrade to 10. Does anyone know much about Win 10 or have opinions?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyle...our-free-copy/
"in the last couple of weeks, a small icon has been appearing on up-to-date copies of Windows 7 and Windows 8. This allows you to reserve your download and be notified the instant Windows 10 is released.

The reason for adding reservations is two-fold. Firstly, and perhaps most importantly, Microsoft is spreading the load on its servers, by allowing the 3GB Windows 10 download to be installed gradually beforehand by users that opt-in to the reservation scheme.

By opting into the reservation now, you’re essentially allowing Microsoft to begin downloading (but not installing) the OS to your PC prior to the release on 29th July so it can be installed instantly."

http://www.cnet.com/products/microsoft-windows-10/

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows...e-got-answers/

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Windows 10

Postby Roy » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:00 pm

Windows 10 is a hybrid between widnows 7 and windows 8.

I will upgrade my tablet which currently has wondows 8.1, but will keep my 3 win7 installs on my desktops. No reason to upgrade them as they do not have touch screen monitors.

More info: http://www.cnet.com/products/microsoft-windows-10/

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:18 am

My fear with upgrading as soon as 10 goes live is that it will ship with lots of bugs. I dunno if that fear is justified but I generally follow the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule when it comes to upgrades and 7 works just fine. Am I just being paranoid?

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:27 am

Actually Microsoft has a whole lot of beta testers that runs them through heavy testing. It gets most of the bugs out. I used to be a beta tester via Microsoft Connect. I mostly worked on tools and utilities, but did run beta on Vista & early Win 7.

nutria
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nutria » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:31 am

Shorty wrote:...the 3GB Windows 10 download...

Wait: 3 GB? Really? Have MS installs always been this big?

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:23 am

Yep. It's probably smaller than some of the older versions. I have a new Surface Pro 3 coming for my new job, and I use a Lumia Windows Phone. But somehow I'm still a Mac guy. Micro$oft has been pretty big on promises, but doesn't always deliver. How many years in? and Windows 8 (and Windows Phone 8) apps are still pretty pathetic. I understand regulating server load but people don't update Windows on Day 1 like they do iOS or OSX. I like the ideas, let's see how the execution goes down. I wouldn't be surprised if my Flagship Windows Phone gets left behind even as they've promised it will be updated. Been burned before.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:25 am

Why the hell is there a smiley emoticon in my post? I didn't put it there, and I cannot edit it out?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:32 am

The forum software reads some character combinations as emoticons even when you didn't key them in as such. Figure 8 with a right parenthesis is one of those combinations I think. Either change what you wrote (maybe by adding a space?) or figure out the escape character to use preceding the combination, which will cancel the emoticon and restore what you originally intended. The escape character used to be a slash, I believe, but who knows what it is now.

You can check this out by using a text entry panel and trying out different emoticons, which will appear as character combinations until you actually post what you wrote.

peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:14 pm

Windows 10 installed, basically without my help in about 2 hours (I had 8.1). As far as I can tell everything is working okay. I use Chrome so left that as default rather than the new browser Microsoft Edge. Start button is back - Yay. Activated Cortana just for fun - though if I ask it anything more complicated than the time or the weather it does a search in Edge. Pretty trauma free.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:01 pm

I'm going to install it on a laptop that doesn't get much use as a test. As long as everything goes ok, I'll install it on the rest of my machines.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:44 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:I'm going to install it on a laptop that doesn't get much use as a test. As long as everything goes ok, I'll install it on the rest of my machines.

I don't think it will work as well as Win7 on non-touch screens.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:14 pm

Sandi wrote:I don't think it will work as well as Win7 on non-touch screens.

This is what I'd expect based on past OS upgrades. But I've seen some comments that win10 is more efficient than win7 and runs faster. Not sure if that is true.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:18 am

Huckleby wrote: But I've seen some comments that win10 is more efficient than win7 and runs faster.

Which is exactly why I'm going to give it a whirl.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:12 am

I'm going to stay with WIn 7.

You're running out of time to get Windows 10 for free
Free upgrade offer expires Friday
http://www.channel3000.com/money/youre- ... e/40868856

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:31 am

they can slow down on a bit and maybe do like windows 7.5 if they have lots of new stuff to put in . . . jesus christ . . . when they retired an m c s e examination less than a year after i did the damn thing getting the second certificate i figured "i will refuse . . ." one of the goddamn developer certificates, the ones that cost north of $2500 i didn't even discuss or think of chasing the planned obsolescence on that -- people are still writing loads of code at that level and i figured my time was better spent back filling my knowledge of mainframe operating systems and such things as cobol and the like, which i poopooed at first . . . i talked to some folks from a huge multinational corporation in 2005 and they were happy as a clam with windows nt 4 sp 6a because all of the bugs had been discovered and corrected and there were tools to connect it to other things, unix, os/2, windows 2000, which they also liked very much . . .

Return to “Technology & Video Games”