Tracfone 4G LTE

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Tracfone 4G LTE

Postby Shorty » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:57 pm

Looks like Tracfone offers 4G LTE, but I suspect they throttle it so it is more like 4G speed. Has anyone tried LTE on tracfone yet? How is it?

http://tracfonereviewer.blogspot.com/20 ... -byop.html

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Tracfone 4G LTE

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:12 pm

4G = LTE

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Sat May 09, 2015 9:14 am

4G is older and slower than 4G LTE.

The Difference Between 4G and 4G LTE
http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/201 ... peed/?_r=0

"4G LTE is the most advanced in terms of speed. The general claim is that 4G LTE networks can download data at speeds between 5 and 12 megabits per second — enough for smooth streaming for live video and better response times for online multiplayer games. (Data-transfer speeds from the network to mobile devices like smartphones and tablets vary due to factors like the carrier and coverage area.)

In comparison, the realistic download speeds for 4G networks can range anywhere from 3 to 8 megabits per second, depending on congestion, the wireless carrier and the specific technology the company has used for its data network. The older 3G networks can typically download data around 800 to 950 kilobits per second."

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Sat May 09, 2015 2:25 pm

3G and 4G Explained
First things first, the "G" stands for a generation of mobile technology, installed in phones and on cellular networks. Each "G" generally requires you to get a new phone, and for networks to make expensive upgrades. The first two were analog cell phones (1G) and digital phones (2G). Then it got complicated.

Third-generation mobile networks, or 3G, came to the U.S. in 2003. With minimum consistent Internet speeds of 144Kbps, 3G was supposed to bring "mobile broadband." There are now so many varieties of 3G, though, that a "3G" connection can get you Internet speeds anywhere from 400Kbps to more than ten times that.

New generations usually bring new base technologies, more network capacity for more data per user, and the potential for better voice quality, too.

4G phones are supposed to be even faster, but that's not always the case. There are so many technologies called "4G," and so many ways to implement them, that the term is almost meaningless. The International Telecommunications Union, a standards body, tried to issue requirements to call a network 4G but they were ignored by carriers, and eventually the ITU backed down. 4G technologies include HSPA+ 21/42, the now obsolete WiMAX, and LTE (although some consider LTE the only true 4G of that bunch, and some people say none of them are fast enough to qualify.)

There's a big difference between 4G LTE and other technologies called "4G" though, and it's most visible in upload speeds. If you upload a lot of data - posting photos or videos, for instance - you'll find LTE's upload speeds are far better than those on HSPA.

More at PC Magazine.

BTW I just bought a Tracfone LG Optimus Fuel Android 4.4 with 200 Triple minutes. I don't really care about 3G or 4G, because I turned off network data and for it to use Wi-Fi only. I will only be using the data at home anyhow, and connect to the internet through my home wireless network.

Looks like it will take me a week to learn the phone as I haven't had a cellphone now for about 4 years.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Sat May 09, 2015 3:22 pm

Yes those tracfones seem like good deals for thrifty people like us. Thanks for the 3G/4G info. I know LTE is better than 3G and 4G. I've tried a few 3G and 4G phones and data was so slow I returned them. I don't know how people have been using those clunkers for years before LTE came out.
Last edited by Shorty on Mon May 11, 2015 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Sat May 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Shorty wrote: I've tried a few 3G and 4G phones and data was so slow I returned them.

That is why I set mobile data off and Wi-Fi on. I only use data at home, and enter the internet through my wireless router. If I take a few pictures or whatever around town, I can wait until I get home to upload them.

Edit: To add, when I use your phone via Wi-Fi, it doesn't count towards your "Data" time. If you're doing much at all, data time can run up very fast.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat May 09, 2015 6:50 pm

I second that. Turn off the tracfone metered data on your phone and use WiFi as much as possible. The only time I turn on the metered service is when I am on a street corner and want to check when the bus is coming.

I agree with sandi that tracfone has some decent little smart phones. Mine is the moto-e, it also has android 4.4, and it's just fine. Sandi, I think you will like it once you get the hang of it. I recommend installing an internet radio app so you can listen to broadcasts from all over the planet, both standard radio and internet broadcasts and podcasts. You'll never be bored for the rest of your life.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Sun May 10, 2015 3:25 am

snoqueen wrote:Sandi, I think you will like it once you get the hang of it.

Well that is probably true, however this getting started has me tied in knots. Downloaded the full pdf manual and helps a bit: Searching it is much easier than looking through the printed manual. Have a ton of phone numbers that I wish didn't have to be entered with the miniscule keyboard. Don't even want to think about getting some bookmarks.

Uninstalled most of the apps I won't use, and disabled some that can't be uninstalled. However I'm still feeling about like this kid I edited out of an insurance ad.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue May 12, 2015 1:04 pm

Sandi wrote:this getting started has me tied in knots. Downloaded the full pdf manual and helps a bit: Searching it is much easier than looking through the printed manual.

Isn't there a friend or relative who is good with smart phones who can help you?

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Tue May 12, 2015 1:12 pm

Yes, but I think I learn better doing it on my own. If it takes longer, then it sticks with me better.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”