Streaming Media Player

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Streaming Media Player

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:52 pm

I'm thinking of switching from Netflix to Amazon. I don't know if my set up will work with a streaming media player. My imac is great. I've got an older TV which works perfectly fine with a convertor. I know zip about if I can even get any player to work because the TV is older. Is there a way to make my current set up work?

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Streaming Media Player

Postby Huckleby » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:03 pm

You are working too hard to hold-on to that TV. Even a $100 Vizio wonder will look so much better than your old TV. The world has moved on from square to rectangular shaped screens.

You are spending a $100 or more yearly for your streaming service. Spend a bit to make the viewing more enjoyable.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-E231-B1 ... d/37599708
Or live large for $150
http://www.walmart.com/ip/SCEPTRE-X322B ... z/25059351

Like every yenta, I close with, "Just my opinion, you do what you want, honey. God strike me dead I should tell you what to do."

chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby chainsawcurtis » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:46 am

It sounds like you are watching netflix on your iMac. You don't say if your tv has line inputs in the back (or sometimes in the front) or just an antenna jack. Your converter may have an antenna input to get signals from the air and output to go to the tv which you tune to channel 3 or 4 and then use the converter to change channels.

If you have lines in (the three rca jacks - probably red, white {sound} and yellow {video signal}) a streaming media player should have the same corresponding outputs and you just hook them together with cables and you get whatever your streamer sends to the tv - Amazon, Netflix, youtube etc.

If your tv is hooked up to a vcr you can hook up the same three from the streamer box to the vcr inputs and then go to the tv.

My tv is hooked in to my stereo which acts as a video switcher and we use an old spare xbox as a streamer to send netflix to our tv along with the vcr and the over-the-air converter. I think Amazon works on the xbox but we don't subscribe to it. You don't have to buy an xbox subscription to get netflix but you do have to set up a free xbox account to do it.

The idea of a new tv is a good one because a lot of the new tvs have: A. Digital tuners eliminating the converter box and B. Wireless (or wired) streaming capabilities built in to them. From there you can plug sound out from the tv to your stereo if you want to get a better sound experience.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:12 am

New TVs almost all use less energy than old ones of comparable screen size. You might notice the difference on your electric bill.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:25 am

Huckleby wrote:You are working too hard to hold-on to that TV. Even a $100 Vizio wonder will look so much better than your old TV. The world has moved on from square to rectangular shaped screens.

You are spending a $100 or more yearly for your streaming service. Spend a bit to make the viewing more enjoyable.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-E231-B1 ... d/37599708
Or live large for $150
http://www.walmart.com/ip/SCEPTRE-X322B ... z/25059351

Like every yenta, I close with, "Just my opinion, you do what you want, honey. God strike me dead I should tell you what to do."

I agree with Huckleby, you can buy a smart TV with wifi that can play Netflix / Amazon / YouTube / anything else out of the box. You can find a 40" for <$300 or a 32" for <$200. Ditch the tube!

If you need another incentive, a giant LED TV will use less energy than pretty much any tube TV, so you'd be saving on your electricity bill.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:26 pm

chainsawcurtis wrote: If you have lines in (the three rca jacks - probably red, white {sound} and yellow {video signal}) a streaming media player should have the same corresponding outputs and you just hook them together with cables and you get whatever your streamer sends to the tv - Amazon, Netflix, youtube etc.

Most streaming devices have ditched all outputs other than an HDMI connector.

The ship has sailed. Even cheap TVs will typically have a couple HDMI inputs. That gives the frugal couch potato an option to connect both a streaming device and a computer to the TV. There is lots of free video on the web that you can watch comfortably on TV.

chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby chainsawcurtis » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:07 pm

Huckleby wrote:Most streaming devices have ditched all outputs other than an HDMI connector.

I wasn't aware of this. Point taken but the new 24"er I got from B*st B*y last year has two hdmi inputs, a computer input (I think it's called DVI) that I use for my recording studio's mac monitor and line inputs and outputs giving a large range of connection options. One could connect the tv to the stereo and turn off the cheap speakers in the set. $149 bucks. We just happen to use the xbox's line outs to connect directly to the old Onkyo receiver.

Yeah, ditch the old tv for one that's more energy efficient.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:45 pm

So you guys don't think buying a streaming device is worth it, even temporarily?

Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:28 pm

Bwis53 wrote:So you guys don't think buying a streaming device is worth it, even temporarily?

You can buy a Roku for around $50 (though make sure you get an old one with RCA outputs), but for only 3-4x you can get a new HDTV with streaming hardware built-in.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:47 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:
Bwis53 wrote:So you guys don't think buying a streaming device is worth it, even temporarily?

You can buy a Roku for around $50 (though make sure you get an old one with RCA outputs), but for only 3-4x you can get a new HDTV with streaming hardware built-in.

That's not a bad approach, get a smart TV that has some streaming apps built-in, notably netflix and Amazon. Keep it simple.

I'd much prefer the streaming options that a roku stick gets you. A refurbished is only around $35. For instance, the free PBS streaming channel is great to have. A dumb TV (no built in streaming) will be a bit cheaper.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:04 am

Huckleby wrote:

That's not a bad approach, get a smart TV that has some streaming apps built-in, notably netflix and Amazon. Keep it simple.

I'd much prefer the streaming options that a roku stick gets you. A refurbished is only around $35. For instance, the free PBS streaming channel is great to have. A dumb TV (no built in streaming) will be a bit cheaper.

Can you even find a "dumb" TV anymore? And you can't plug a Roku stick into an old TV. Some Smart TVs you can install external apps into.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:06 am

I got a dumb Magnavox, with the red, white, yellow outlets in 2006 and the convertor has a USB port. 'Scuze my dumbness: My mac is tucked at the far end of one side of my apt. and the TV is at the opposite end of my place. Am I going to be running lots of cable?

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:52 pm

Can you even find a "dumb" TV anymore? And you can't plug a Roku stick into an old TV. Some Smart TVs you can install external apps into.

It occurs to me that "smart" TVs really are not so smart. Why don't they simply licences the Roku firmware? I do think your suggestion is OK, if somebody is fine with the options available within the TV, maybe a smart tv works easily. "Installing apps" is still going to be very inferior to a roku stick.

Dumb TVs are available and cheaper. Although looky here, a 32" refurbished smart visio for only $150
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbished-V ... V/43737412

A $35 Roku stick gives you a huge selection of streaming channels, hard to argue with that.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:05 pm

Bwis53 wrote:I got a dumb Magnavox, with the red, white, yellow outlets in 2006 and the convertor has a USB port. 'Scuze my dumbness: My mac is tucked at the far end of one side of my apt. and the TV is at the opposite end of my place. Am I going to be running lots of cable?

You don't absolutely have to connect your computer to the TV, that's just a thought. I have a 25' hdmi cable that runs around behind furniture, doesn't bother me too much.

Here's a quick intro. You might be better off with an Apple TV or Chromecast streaming device rather than a Roku stick. They will handle streaming as well as echo your computer screen to the TV. These devices will require you to update your TV to newer one with HDMI input.
http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/co ... v-3591712/

The magnavox must die.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:55 am

Bwis53, check out woot.com -- they often have good deals on HDTVs and in fact have some now:
http://www.woot.com/plus/vizio-led-smart-tvs-11

Return to “Technology & Video Games”