Verizon to let you pick, choose cable channels

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Verizon to let you pick, choose cable channels

Postby Shorty » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:38 pm

Not really, you get a choice of packages. But it's a step towards a la carte.

Verizon FIOS to let you pick, choose cable channels
http://www.channel3000.com/money/verizo ... s/32418530

"Starting Sunday, Verizon will begin to offer customers what it calls "Custom TV." It will have a base package of 35 networks, including CNN, AMC, HGTV and the Food Network. Then, seven different bundles of networks will be grouped by types of programming. Customers can chose any two packages of networks as part of the basic fee, and can get additional bundles for $10 a month each.

The bundles include a sports package that includes ESPN and Fox Sports 1, and a second sports package that includes the NFL Network, the MLB Network and 18 regional sports channels that carry the games of local teams. An entertainment package will carry some of the most popular cable networks such as TBS, TNT and USA. A news package will carry Fox News, MSNBC and CNBC, while a kids' package will include the Disney Network, Nick and the Cartoon Network. Finally, a pop culture package includes Comedy Central, E! and MTV, and a "lifestyle" package that includes Animal Planet, Bravo and Lifetime.

"Increasingly customers are saying, 'I want to pay for what I view,'" Tami Erwin, senior vice president and group president for FIOS. While this is not true a la carte choice that some have advocated, this is likely the beginning of an industry wide shift."

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Verizon to let you pick, choose cable channels

Postby Huckleby » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:19 am

Starting Sunday, Verizon will begin to offer customers what it calls "Custom TV." It will have a base package of 35 networks, including CNN, AMC, HGTV and the Food Network. Then, seven different bundles of networks will be grouped by types of programming. Customers can chose any two packages of networks as part of the basic fee, and can get additional bundles for $10 a month each.

Too little too late.

I'm not predicting the demise of cable TV. I think they will just shrink to serve a smaller, upscale market. I think they will have a quality and simplicity edge over streaming for a long time.

Wake me when some cable company offers 100% ala carte.

HotPepper

Postby HotPepper » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:16 am

I agree. Too little, too late. I cut the cable years ago, got myself an antenna and I'm saving a bundle of money instead of giving it to the cable company.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:09 pm

Cable of anykind is an archaic system that would have died out decades ago in favor of wireless had not the government kept them alive with regulations.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:39 pm

You do realize cable was basically deregulated and this is where we are. See 1996. Thanks for the insight.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:46 pm

Stebben84 wrote:You do realize cable was basically deregulated and this is where we are. See 1996. Thanks for the insight.

Your welcome. However cable regulations hamper competition and the government makes competition basically impossible.

Neade
Forum Addict

Postby Neade » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:31 am

HotPepper wrote:I agree. Too little, too late. I cut the cable years ago, got myself an antenna and I'm saving a bundle of money instead of giving it to the cable company.

Congratulations!!!11!!! You're so much smarter and less gullible than the rest of us sheeple!!!!

That's what you and Huckleby wanted to hear, isn't it?

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:16 pm

Go outside. Enjoy the weather and quit being such a dick.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:41 pm

Neade wrote:
HotPepper wrote:I agree. Too little, too late. I cut the cable years ago, got myself an antenna and I'm saving a bundle of money instead of giving it to the cable company.

Congratulations!!!11!!! You're so much smarter and less gullible than the rest of us sheeple!!!!

That's what you and Huckleby wanted to hear, isn't it?

Neade, AFAIK, your next cordial post will be your first.

Hotpepper posted a generic sentiment. I said cable will continue to serve lots of people because ogf its technical quality and simplicity. You pick a fight over this?

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:48 pm

Sandi wrote: url=http://www.detroitnews.com/story/opinion/editorials/2014/10/07/cable-regulations-hamper-competition/16870447/]cable regulations hamper competition[/url] and the government makes competition basically impossible.

I will look at second article later- why? Because I care. But first one has already set me off.

That first claim is by a Detroit newspaper butt-sore because anti-trust regulation pushed Comcast out of their market. It is true that it hurt Detroit in short run. But would the alternative - removing antitrust laws and allowing Comcast to consolidate more control nationally - going to lead to lower prices overall? I seriously doubt that the net result of a Comcast monopoly would be good for consumers.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:59 pm

Last night, I watched a show on Amazon because Netflix was going to make me wait and YouTube had commercials. I love à la carte !

Return to “Technology & Video Games”