We Won Net Neutrality!!!

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

We Won Net Neutrality!!!

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:39 pm

I just got several emails: We got net neutrality. I'm proud I put my time and money into this.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Re: We Won Net Neutrality!!!

Postby Roy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:06 pm

Duplicate, already posted.

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=60483

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:21 pm

Sandi wrote:Duplicate, already posted.

The irony! It burns!

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:45 pm

The view from FOX
FCC approves Obama-backed Internet regulations, FCC approves sweeping Internet regulation plan, critics decry 'power grab', Obama accused of meddling

Ultimately, rates will go up and broadband service will slow.

"The order explicitly opens the door to billions of dollars in new taxes," he said. "Read my lips: More new taxes are coming. It's just a matter of when."

Further, he pointed to slower Internet speeds in Europe, which largely treats the Internet as a public utility, in warning that the additional regulation will lead to less investment and slower speeds in the U.S. as well.

"The Internet is not broken. There is no problem for the government to solve," Pai said.

The free market has created spotty and over-priced internet service for Americans. It is hard to argue that government intervention in, say, South Korea, has been less than a spectacular success.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:56 pm

Commissioner Ajit Pai wrote:The order explicitly opens the door to billions of dollars in new taxes
So Pai is under the impression that the FCC has the power to tax? What is this even supposed to mean?

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:10 pm

Bland wrote:
Commissioner Ajit Pai wrote:The order explicitly opens the door to billions of dollars in new taxes
So Pai is under the impression that the FCC has the power to tax? What is this even supposed to mean?

FCC might just as well be able to levy taxes, the IRS seems to think they can. In reality only Congress can raise taxes, but with the new administration, all bets are off.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:16 pm

Sandi wrote:FCC might just as well be able to levy taxes, the IRS seems to think they can. In reality only Congress can raise taxes, but with the new administration, all bets are off.
I'll ask of you what I just asked of Pai. What does this even mean?

The IRS is levying taxes without congressional approval?
What "new administration"? The one that's been in office for 6 years? Or the one that hasn't been elected yet?

Make sense, damn it!

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:38 pm

Bland wrote:I'll ask of you what I just asked of Pai. What does this even mean?

It means that when all else fails, just make shit up.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:41 pm

Further, he pointed to slower Internet speeds in Europe, which largely treats the Internet as a public utility, in warning that the additional regulation will lead to less investment and slower speeds in the U.S. as well.

Which is, of course, misleading. We're in the middle of the pack with regards to Europe.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:44 pm

ilikebeans wrote:

Which is, of course, misleading. We're in the middle of the pack with regards to Europe.

WTF is wrong with these companies. They're still going to make as much money as they do right now. They just won't make even MORE money. Fuck them. I read an article that said cable viewership is waaaaay down, so companies like Comcast needed to recoup the losses by finding more ways to milk their profits off of the internet. Again, fuck...them and anyone who agrees with them.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:54 pm

ilikebeans wrote:

That is an interesting metric, but it doesn't fully capture how widespread internet is available. Interesting that Republicans represent rural America, and those are the people so badly served by the free market of digital services.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:58 pm

Bland wrote:

There probably is some plausible answer to your question. Is the tax question related to sales taxes for purchases? Probably that is separate issue.

Likely the theory is that the pattern of government regulation in other utilities has been ever increasing gov surcharges. Governments like "use taxes", less political backlash than with income taxes.

I'm in favor of treating the internet like a utility even if it leads to some taxes.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:43 pm

Huckleby wrote:That is an interesting metric, but it doesn't fully capture how widespread internet is available. Interesting that Republicans represent rural America, and those are the people so badly served by the free market of digital services.

Especially since Republicans will also fight tooth-and-nail to prevent non-private entities such as municipalities and educational institutions from providing broadband access to underserved areas.

FJD
Forum God/Goddess

Postby FJD » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:49 pm

ilikebeans wrote:
Huckleby wrote:That is an interesting metric, but it doesn't fully capture how widespread internet is available. Interesting that Republicans represent rural America, and those are the people so badly served by the free market of digital services.

Especially since Republicans will also fight tooth-and-nail to prevent non-private entities such as municipalities and educational institutions from providing broadband access to underserved areas.

There are ideas on the internet, can't let that shit run wild

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:16 pm

Oh my, Verizon's tantrum over this is just freakin' delicious, especially when you consider that it was their 2012 lawsuit that directly brought about today's decision.

Bravo, Verizon, BRAV. O.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”