Cheap smartphone plans

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Cheap smartphone plans

Postby Beaver » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:30 pm

This is not spam and I don't work for or benefit from these companies. I just wanted to share what I know about these plans in case some of you may be interested.

I have never had a smartphone with a service plan due to the high cost and monthly plans. However, I recently learned of several new, low cost offers with no contracts that are good if you don't need a lot of minutes or data. They are 1) Ringplus, 2) Ting, and 3) Zact. They are all MVNOs (Mobile virtual network operators) that operate on the Sprint network. You need to use a device that will work on their network.

In February I bought a used Samsung Galaxy Victory LTE phone on ebay for $70 and signed up for the $1.99/mo plan with Ringplus. It has worked well for me so far. Here is what I learned about the three services while researching them:

1) Ringplus offers plans as low as $1.99/mo (http://ringplus.net/). They keeps rate low by advertising. When making a call they play an ad instead of a ring tone. Also, occasional pop-up ads appear on your phone. Their cheapest plans are:

-for $1.99/month you get 50 minutes talk, 10 SMS texts, data at 2¢ per MB, 2¢ per overage Minute & SMS.
-for $7.99/month you get 300 minutes talk, 300 SMS texts, data at 2¢ per MB, 2¢ per overage Minute & SMS.
-for $9.99/month you get 400 minutes talk, 400 SMS texts, 300 MB data, 2¢ per overage Minute & SMS.

You can Bring Your Own Sprint Device (BYOSD). Check here to see if your device will work (https://my.ringplus.net/device_validation_requests/new). Their coverage map is here and indicates 3g service in Madison but not LTE: http://ringplus.net/coverage/

2) With Ting you only pay for what you use. That is, at the end of the month you pay a fee based on how many minutes, text, and data you use. Rates are a $6 minimum plus your usage. Their rates for various scenarios are listed here (https://ting.com/rates). Here are examples:

-100 minutes, 0 texts and 0 data would cost $9/month plus surcharges.
-100 minutes, 100 texts and 500 mb data would cost $24/month plus surcharges.

Their coverage map is here (http://ting.com/coverage). You can buy a new device from them, or used, or bring your own. To see if your device is supported check here:
https://ting.zendesk.com/entries/225671 ... Whitelist-

3) Zact is similar to Ting but there is no $6 minimum monthly fee, there is a $10 activation fee, and you have to use one of their phones so can't BYOSD. http://www.zact.com/education

You pay only a monthly fee based on your estimate of how many minutes, text, and data you will use. If you end up using less than your estimate for a month, you get a refund for the unused portion. If you need more than you estimated, you just pay more to increase your allotment. Here are sample rate plans:

60 min | 25 texts | 100 MB data = $5.57/mo
90 min | 25 texts | 200 MB data = $9.27/mo
90 min | 25 texts | 500 MB data = $16.59/mo

I see no mention of surcharges but they might have them. Their coverage map is here: (http://www.zact.com/coverage). The only phones they sell on their website are the ZTE AWE 3G for $90 and Samsung Galaxy S III LTE for $390. You can also buy those same phones from Best Buy for similar prices.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Cheap smartphone plans

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:09 pm

I would smash my phone after the first ad. You've now become an ad whore and you're carrying around a mobile billboard.

Depending on phone usage, those rates are ok, but if I would burn through those pretty quick and probably pay more than I do now. I suspect that's part of their money making strategy. They hope people will pay any additional fees. No company is out there to spread benevolence amongst smartphone users.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:52 pm

The ad's during ringtones are barely audible. It's not that bad. I'd rather have them than pay $30/month or more.

You use this dailypage. Are you bothered by the banner ads? Do you watch and listen to TV and radio? Do you smash them every time an ad comes on?

And don't call me a whore, you jerk.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:21 pm

Beaver wrote:The ad's during ringtones are barely audible. It's not that bad. I'd rather have them than pay $30/month or more.

You use this dailypage. Are you bothered by the banner ads? Do you watch and listen to TV and radio? Do you smash them every time an ad comes on?.
Life must be very different on your planet. Who watches ads anymore? I confess I do have to look through them when I ride the bus. Faces are unrecognizable, obscured by the plastic stick-on smog. Soot by design.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:12 pm

If I could afford to boycott those fuckin' wrapped buses, I'd have a car!

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:23 pm

I hate the wrapped buses, also. Can't enjoy the scenery while I'm riding.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:30 pm

Beaver wrote:I hate the wrapped buses, also. Can't enjoy the scenery while I'm riding.

There's that, yes. There's also wondering if you're at your stop yet, at night, in the rain, through those damn wraps. In daylight they're an annoyance. At night or when it's foggy, they're just about opaque.

Sometimes the bus announces which stop it's at, sometimes it doesn't. Keeps you on your toes. Just don't open a book or anything.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:55 pm

I really wish they'd have stuck to a "half wrap" leaving to windows exposed.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Mon May 05, 2014 8:25 pm

Also there is tracphone. They aren't on the Sprint network. For $7 month you get 180 mins, 180 texts, and 180 mb if you buy one of their android phone's which starts at $79. There network is 3G so data would be very slow. But if you just want minutes and texts on a smartphone it sounds like a good deal. http://tracfonewireless.com/

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed May 07, 2014 9:49 am

You aren't the only person who hears your ringtone. So does everyone else within earshot. If you're subjecting them to advertising jingles every time you get a call it'll be annoying and intrusive and you may earn some negative reactions. Hopefully you can set the damn phones on vibrate.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed May 07, 2014 8:48 pm

Guess I need to clarify how my Ringplus service works. The phone does vibrate when I get a call. There is no ringtone for inbound calls I get. The ad ringtone is only on outbound calls I make, and it is barely audible as long as the speakerphone is off. So there is no annoyance or intrusion and no negative reactions at all from others.

Also, I rarely use my smartphone so don't make or get many calls anyway. Plus the "ad" ringtone is actually music or a news flash most of the time so not truly an ad, and I enjoy listening to it sometimes.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:43 pm

Ring Plus is offering their free plan again. 200 minutes per month for free. You need a Sprint phone that is not active. https://ringplus.net/

Update 7/15: New Ring Plus promotion, may end any time: Truly Free Plan (no Credit Card needed) 125 Min 40 Text 10 MB per month. All you need is an email address and Sprint phone that is not active.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:11 am

Another Ringplus promo Aug 23.

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2015/08 ... l?spref=tw

"Sprint MVNO RingPlus is running another promotion (their third in eight days) this Sunday 8/23/15. There are deals for both new and current members, including a very sweet special version of the Pepper free plan for new activations that includes 250 minutes, 500 texts and 260 MB of data per month for almost free. I say "almost" because the Pepper plan requires that you always have a cash balance for overages. The minimum amount you can add to your balance is $5 ($6.09 with taxes here in California, higher or lower in other states). As long as you never use all $5 for overages you never have to pay again. The overage rate is a very reasonable 2¢ per minute, text or MB of data."

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:14 am

snoqueen wrote:You aren't the only person who hears your ringtone. So does everyone else within earshot. If you're subjecting them to advertising jingles every time you get a call it'll be annoying and intrusive and you may earn some negative reactions. Hopefully you can set the damn phones on vibrate.

Is your ringtone always on vibrate when you're in public, or do you annoy and intrude on everyone within earshot whenever you receive a call or text?

Neade
Forum Addict

Postby Neade » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:20 am

penquin wrote:Is your ringtone always on vibrate when you're in public, or do you annoy and intrude on everyone within earshot whenever you receive a call or text?

You're annoying me right now and I can't even hear your fucking ringtone.

Republic is the way to go if you actually want to use a good smartphone, pay not much each month and have access to wireless networks throughout your day. Gotta pony up for the phone, but you have to do that with a landline, too.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”