Good internet service?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
Cyclist

Good internet service?

Postby Cyclist » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:21 pm

Previously used ATT but their customer service people are rude plus they raised their rates. Also, I am moving soon, called just to change addresses and arrange new connection, they wanted an exorbitant amount even though I would have to wait almost 2 weeks after moving to get new service.

What service do you recommend (on the west side of town)? Looking for best combo possible of low fees, good customer service, and high speeds.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Good internet service?

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:26 pm

As much as I hate to give them my money Charter has been the best value for speed/price in my experience. I wouldn't ever pay for their TV service however.

LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby LargeMarge » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:22 pm

I have good luck with Charter for internet. Their cable sucks.

wesconsin

Postby wesconsin » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:27 pm

Exaclty what was already stated. Charter internet is the best i've had anywhere in the country. The cable tv sucks though.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:06 pm

I have to agree if speed is important. Charter is way faster than any competition. As said, the TV end of it sucks.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:08 pm

I'm on the east side not the west, not near the University or any other area that gets super-good internet times. I just got Charter after years with TDS. I liked TDS but their speed got ridiculously slow and Charter was trying to take over my neighborhood, so I went with them.

On speedtest.net my pingtime a minute ago was 22 ms), my download speed is 20.14 Mbps, my upload speed is 3.00 Mbps. That's not brilliant, but it's fine for me. A new wireless router has helped.

If that's good enough for you and if Charter does that well in your area, might as well go with them.

I do not have Charter cable -- I just got the internet service unbundled from anything else, and I pay about $30/mo.

I have gotten a competent English-speaking representative every time I've called Charter, which matters to me. I think they did my install within a week of receiving my order, if not less -- they scheduled it on a Sunday, which was strange, but it worked for me.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:19 pm

snoqueen wrote:I have gotten a competent English-speaking representative every time I've called Charter, which matters to me.
Out of curiosity, do others have reports of reps ably speaking other languages? Spanish would be the obvious one, but I would expect there might be a few other significant contigencies in Dane county: Hmong, Mandarin Chinese, Cantonese Chinese, Korean, Portuguese ...

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:33 pm

If you use Charter be sure that you use a DOCSIS 3 modem. Using DOCSIS 3 supports 4 channels at once instead of just one. It can give you up to 4 times the bandwidth of single channel DOCSIS 1 OR 2 modem.

Charter only has DOCSIS 3 configured for download only, but down is far more important for most people.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:28 pm

Return to “Technology & Video Games”