Fluorescent lights, computer screens may cause eye damage

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Fluorescent lights, computer screens may cause eye damag

Postby Shorty » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:21 pm

I read using your PC or device at night is when the blue light does the most damage to your eyes. So there is free software called F.Lux you can install on your PC. It adjusts and dims the the display on your PC at night so it emits less blue light. I've tried it for a month and like it. It makes the PC slightly harder to view which discourages me from using it at night, so I do feel like I'm helping my eyes.

https://justgetflux.com/

https://www.facebook.com/justgetflux

FJD
Forum God/Goddess

Postby FJD » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:07 am

If that were true I would be completely blind at this point (and no, I'm not even close).

Stop reading all the pop up adds.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:50 am

If what were true, blue light from led screens and florescents can cause eye damage? Or blue light effects are worse at night? I've read both from eye doctor newsletters as my posts cited, not pop-up ads.

How long have you been using PC's? The newsletters don't say everyone will go blind, they say cataracts and macular degen incidents will increase.

FJD
Forum God/Goddess

Postby FJD » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:05 am

Shorty wrote:If what were true, blue light from led screens and florescents can cause eye damage? Or blue light effects are worse at night? I've read both from eye doctor newsletters as my posts cited, not pop-up ads.

How long have you been using PC's? The newsletters don't say everyone will go blind, they say cataracts and macular degen incidents will increase.

Well over 20 years, both at work and as a heavily utilized form of home entertainment. I would estimate a minimum of 10 hour of use per day, with at least 2 hours being at home in the evening in lower lighting.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:10 am

I just wear these all the time now. It's great for watching streaming video on my computer. I ain't squintin'.

FJD
Forum God/Goddess

Postby FJD » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:00 am

Stebben84 wrote:I just wear these all the time now. It's great for watching streaming video on my computer. I ain't squintin'.

Probably keeps your eyes safe from any random projectiles too

Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:54 am

I've used the f.lux program for many months and like it a lot.
It's said that after millennia of sleeping next to the orange and red light of a fire, those colors don't disrupt our melatonin levels. F.lux uses these warmer colors during normal sleeping hours, then turns back to normal at dawn.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:47 am

Stebben84 wrote:I just wear these all the time now. It's great for watching streaming video on my computer. I ain't squintin'.

Do they work like this?

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:49 pm

My optometrist is offering a discount Friday on non-glare lens treatment that reflects harmful blue light.

http://eyecontactmadison.com/documents/Penguin2.pdf

"HOYA’s Rcharge™ is a non-glare lens treatment that reflects harmful blue light (from computer screens, smart phones, tablets, etc.) away from the eyes, while ensuring that the portion of blue light needed for optimal contrast and other health benefits is allowed to pass through the lens.

Traniion® Signaure™ VII lenses are equipped with patented, photochromic dyes that enable the lenses to rapidly activate, or darken, when they are exposed to the sun’s ultraviolet light, providing protection for your eyes.

Both protect against blue light, which is harmful to retinal cells and a risk factor for the onset of age-related macular degeneration (AMD), the number one cause of severe vision loss and legal blindness in adults over 60."

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Fluorescent lights, computer screens may cause eye damage

Postby Shorty » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:47 pm

Saw this in a newsletter again.

http://vspblog.com/blue-light-exposure/

https://vsp.com/sharper-image-techshield-lenses.html

What is Blue Light?
Blue Light is the term used to describe the highest energy range within the Visible Light Spectrum. This light is emitted by a variety of sources from the sun to your smartphone. Historically, our exposure was limited to blue light emitted by the sun. However, the modern shift towards CFL and LED lighting, combined with the monumental increase in digital device usage, has resulted in exposure to blue light at unprecedented levels.

The Dangers of Blue Light
Recent research has indicated blue light exposure can contribute to serious eye and health conditions, including:
•Eye strain and fatigue
•Vision loss
•Sleep disruption

Blue Light Sources Causing the Greatest Concern
As its impact increases with frequency of exposure, and even more so the closer your eyes are to the source, medical experts have voiced serious concerns about blue light emitted by the following devices:
•Smartphones
•Tablets
•Computer Monitors
•TVs
•CFL and LED lights

Return to “Technology & Video Games”