More evidence Apple is the new Microsoft

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Re: More evidence Apple is the new Microsoft

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:31 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:If someone says "App Store," the response is either "Apple" or "I don't know." Not "a place where one procures applications."

As someone who can honestly remember using the term "app" for computer applications as early as the late '80s, and who also has never owned or used an Apple or any kind of app-using phone, I gotta respectfully disagree. I know what an "appstore" is because I'm not a dummy, not because I'm loyal to any particular brand or product.

I'm surprised that you appear to feel you're representative of the general American populace in this respect.

Huh? I'm surprised (and a little offended) that you think I'm incapable of saying what I mean. The quote above is very clearly intended to only represent me personally. "I know what an appstore is..." I wrote, not "everybody knows..." As is clear from your original quote, it was YOU who claimed to know what was representative of the general populace. You suggested there were only two answers to your question, I merely provided a third.

But good job ignoring the universally applicable (am I allowed to use that word?) part of my post so you could attack the part that was just about me personally. Do you really not see that "Appstore" is equivalent to "photocopy", not "Xerox"?

mrak wrote:Seems to me any objection to this is more about the workings of trademark law and how trademarks must be defended.
Absolutely. I understand why Apple is doing what they're doing, I just don't understand why we let anyone do it. If you want to come up with a unique brand name then do it -- but if you're just making compound words, I don't understand why we should legally protect your utter lack of creativity.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:00 pm

That was meant to be wry, not offensive. Sorry Prof.

The test isn't in what could possibly be inferred by the similarity of terminology by a smart or intuitive minority. It's whether the majority still assigns brand meaning to a term rather than general meaning.

I am assuming, but confidently; I'd bet a strong plurality, if not a majority, of respondents would choose "it's an Apple thing" over either "a place where you'd buy mobile applications" or "no friggin' clue."

if you're just making compound words, I don't understand why we should legally protect your utter lack of creativity.

And yet you appear (my interpretation!) to be criticizing Apple on these grounds, but not Amazon. Whether Apple's trademark is philosophically defensible or not, even you must admit that Amazon's is even less original.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:26 pm

Pft, total guy thread. All the way to page 3 with no mention of The Container Store®.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:31 pm

Ducatista wrote:Pft, total guy thread. All the way to page 3 with no mention of The Container Store®.

Fair point, but The Chocolate Library isn't even a little bit chicky?

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:44 pm

The consumer identification of "app" as an Apple-only thing may be accurate for most (idk if this is empirically true or not), but this doesn't mean it should drive professional usage of the term or copyright. I'm no copyright lawyer, but the "they've saturated us with their ads to the point where we identify that word with their product" justification seems iffy.

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:21 pm

When execs check with their in-house counsel on whether something might infringe on their copyrights, are they ever told "no" by the attorneys?

Do lawyers ever say no, we don't have a case??

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:15 am

boston_jeff wrote:The consumer identification of "app" as an Apple-only thing may be accurate for most (idk if this is empirically true or not), but this doesn't mean it should drive professional usage of the term or copyright. I'm no copyright lawyer, but the "they've saturated us with their ads to the point where we identify that word with their product" justification seems iffy.

But is that the point, really? Nobody thinks containers are just a Container Store thing, but they were able to trademark the name.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:10 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:So Amazon recently launched an store for Android apps aptly named the "Amazon Appstore."

The ink on the press release was barely dry before Apple filed suit against using the name, which they apparently claim as their intellectual property.

Seriously?

I think Steve Jobs's transplant surgeon fucked up. It appears he now has a pussy where his liver used to be.

why exactly is there a pussy where mr jobs' liver used to be? did anyone from amazon.com catch anything?

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:42 pm

Apple is the old microsoft. They have always been the evil empire. Their systems are tightly sealed, greedily cutting-out any third party participation and limiting options for consumers. They are grandly over-priced, buttressed by marketing campaigns reaffirming the supposed elitism of their followers. "Apple: Think Different."

Apple makes some good products, I would like to own some of them. I have always been amused by the notion that a person can be cool and independent-minded through slavish devotion to a brand.

Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:47 pm

It's an interesting contrast in models. Apple offers you a sealed ecosystem where everything looks nice and plays well together, but you'll pay a lot more, and don't expect any help if you stray outside. Or you can get a PC in one of a hundred flavors, harder to use but offering more value for money, and with some effort it'll work with just about anything.

As for me, I'm waiting for a 32 gig iPod Touch equivalent running Android and costing $99.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:02 pm

Huckleby wrote:... buttressed by marketing campaigns reaffirming the supposed elitism of their followers. "Apple: Think Different."
But not their grammatical elitism, clearly.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:58 am

fennnel, I have to rise in defense of Apple, Inc. I think "different" here is meant to be a noun, a concept, as in "think spring". ( I would allow them poetic license to drop the "ly" in any case, it just sound better. )

If you want to take this further, I suggest we step outside.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:01 am

I guess we could call it a printer's error.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:21 pm

Huckleby wrote:Apple is the old microsoft. They have always been the evil empire. Their systems are tightly sealed, greedily cutting-out any third party participation and limiting options for consumers. They are grandly over-priced, buttressed by marketing campaigns reaffirming the supposed elitism of their followers. "Apple: Think Different."

Apple makes some good products, I would like to own some of them. I have always been amused by the notion that a person can be cool and independent-minded through slavish devotion to a brand.

who would represent unix in that kind of ad?
i think a mrs robinson type character is the direction they should go.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:36 pm

So that's Anne Bancroft under the Mac guy? I dunno.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”