More evidence Apple is the new Microsoft

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Re: More evidence Apple is the new Microsoft

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:55 am

Of course, I am definitely entertaining myself here. And yes fisti, Amazon was lazy for using the same term I agree. Not really interested in copyright law, its a bit boring to me. But as a person who is interested in human behavior, I do find the Apple cult intriguing--esp. in cases like this. There is a class of Apple user who is willfully ignorant of Apple's business practices--and gets outraged at the same behavior in other corps.

Admittedly, this issue hits close to home as my stepmother (an art director) is an Apple acolyte and rams it down my throat constantly. My dad is now a semi-Apple cultist too, as is my boss. It can be a bit annoying (and frustrating) for someone who uses both Windows and Apple products.
Last edited by boston_jeff on Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:22 am

So, not being an Apple guy, I have to ask- does Apple have a place called the App Store, or has it otherwise trademarked that name? Unless either of the above are true, I can't see where they have a case.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:25 am

I have to ask- does Apple have a place called the App Store, or has it otherwise trademarked that name?

Yes it's located on millions of iPods, iPhones, iPads, and Macs. Yes it's trademarked.

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:33 am

fisticuffs wrote:
I have to ask- does Apple have a place called the App Store, or has it otherwise trademarked that name?

Yes it's located on millions of iPods, iPhones, iPads, and Macs. Yes it's trademarked.

Then Amazon is screwed.

Big companies like Amazon spend a lot of $$ on consultants and lawyers when they choose a name for a new product or company. I once worked at a place where the new company name was actually a mark owned by someone else. Outside counsel had to pony up an awful lot of $$ to cover that one.

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:38 am

Here's Apple's registration of App Store as a service mark with USPTO:
http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f= ... mter22.2.1

Seems to me any objection to this is more about the workings of trademark law and how trademarks must be defended. But I can certainly acknowledge that Apple makes for a convenient bogeyman for some.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:48 am

Microsoft is already challenging the copyright for many of the reasons we are discussing. But Microsoft is evil. And Apple is good.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:53 am

boston_jeff wrote:But Microsoft is evil. And Apple is good.

No... Microsoft is schlumpy. And Apple is cool.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:58 am

I agree, but for many of us that use computers for other uses besides fun and design, Microsoft is necessary.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:59 am

But Microsoft is evil. And Apple is good.
\
I don't think of it those terms. Apple makes stuff that works, is cool/innovative, and is pretty safe and idiot proof. Microsoft gives you freedom (sometimes) but that freedom comes with pop ups, viruses, frozen computers, restarts, lost data....

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:02 am

Ducatista wrote:
boston_jeff wrote:But Microsoft is evil. And Apple is good.

No... Microsoft is schlumpy. And Apple is cool.

No, it's just that it's Microsoft's prerogative to challenge a trademark, and it's Apple's responsibility to defend it.

People can assign the white hats and the black hats as they see fit, but a lot of the grousing always seems to come back to the fact that Apple has inspired a lot of loyalty in their customers - something that successful businesses strive to do. (You may have noticed that Google is pretty good at it too.)

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:13 am

fisticuffs wrote:
But Microsoft is evil. And Apple is good.
\
I don't think of it those terms. Apple makes stuff that works, is cool/innovative, and is pretty safe and idiot proof. Microsoft gives you freedom (sometimes) but that freedom comes with pop ups, viruses, frozen computers, restarts, lost data....

Yes, and the brand loyalty is largely due to the neat design and the ease of use. Take it to another level of use (i.e., if your work requires you to use certain software/applications) and you're talking about technology that often doesn't play well with others, is extremely expensive, and often doesn't work. Apple banks on the fact that uneducated computer users will spend their money on neat looking gizmos, many that they don't need. If I want to watch a video on my laptop via my HDTV I buy a cable and I'm good to go. My Dad thinks he needs to buy AppleTV and a laptop that cost 3x my Dell. And he still can't get it to work.

My point about Apple's corporate practices is that many Apple users aren't seeing/equating some of what they do as being on the same continuum as other corporate entities. And that's somewhat hypocritical, and amusing (considering Apple's demographic).

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:19 am

mrak wrote:No, it's just that...

"Yeah, 'schlumpy vs. cool' wasn't my considered take on the issue, it just struck me as funny," she typed, on her MacBook Air.

Which fucking ROCKS, by the way.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:28 am

boston_jeff wrote:If I want to watch a video on my laptop via my HDTV I buy a cable and I'm good to go. My Dad thinks he needs to buy AppleTV and a laptop that cost 3x my Dell. And he still can't get it to work.

Nothing against your dad, but that hardly seems Apple's fault. I mean, they sell the same cable adapter you're talking about--in the Apple Store.

(A place where no fruit is sold, I'm to understand.)

People see commercials and buy shit they don't need whether it was announced with a slideshow at CES or not. Ask your doctor if this drug we won't fully explain on TV is right for you.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:47 am

Oh yeah, my Dad is the dingdong in this scenario for sure. My cousins, step-mom and aunt also constantly harp on how great Apple products are--yet can't do much beyond checking email and looking at pics on FB with their expensive thingies. My Dad didn't even have email configured on his Iphone for over a year and still hasn't figured out how to save photos from his phone to his lappie. But I digress, this is a man who pays for DVR service through the cable company but can't get it to work.

Apple is a great model for a corp and I love their products--but for many uses I can not justify the expense. My boss (who does the same kind of statistical work I do obv) has all of our lab computers (in two labs) running windows because we need windows for our databases and the software we run. In the other lab they use Apple and he owns like every Apple product out there for his own personal use. Must be nice to be upper middle class. :)

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:57 am

Everybody sues everybody. Constant litigation equals stability.

http://gizmodo.com/#!5656913/whos-suing ... e-industry

Return to “Technology & Video Games”