gc-ms

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

gc-ms

Postby gozer » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:52 am

w

npler
Forum Addict

Re: gc-ms

Postby npler » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:54 pm

OK, I'll bite. What does "W" stand for?

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:03 am

npler wrote:OK, I'll bite. What does "W" stand for?

wisconsin? wanda? wittgenstein? wiganowsky? withdrawal?

it could stand for "what happened to my post?" as i originally wrote a couple of sentences about acquiring a mass spectrometer and gas chromatograph on the cheap.

npler
Forum Addict

Postby npler » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:58 pm

gozer wrote:

it could stand for "what happened to my post?" as i originally wrote a couple of sentences about acquiring a mass spectrometer and gas chromatograph on the cheap.

Are you starting your own pharmaceutical company? That would be da bomb, as you might say. Would you be looking for QA or P&IC people by any chance?

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:37 pm

npler wrote:
gozer wrote:

Are you starting your own pharmaceutical company? That would be da bomb, as you might say. Would you be looking for QA or P&IC people by any chance?

i should, shouldn't i? the contract with the union and instructions for the manufacturing people would specify a minimum scrap percentage, so we can eat, snort, or shoot the mistakes heh heh heh...

the mass spectrometer &c are so we can test various things, especially agricultural products, for pesticides, alkaloid profiles, other shit -- basically another kitchen appliance. that and a supercomputer for the den i have both wanted since i was a little kid, of course. mid-quadruple figures is what i am looking for as far as a maximum price, and half again that if i could also chase down a high-pressure liquid chromatograph or the like or infrared spectroscopy devices. it doesn't need to be current generation state-of-the-art, just work.

WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:58 pm

Dare I ask if you know how to use and maintain this gear? I don't want to sound condescending or anything. The big hassle is that elaborate lab instruments don't tend to get taken off line one day and sold in working condition the next. More often than not, they're driven into the ground, then sit in storage for months to years. By the time this stuff shows up on the market, it's typically in unknown condition, and the computer and software needed to make it work are long gone.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:27 am

WestSideYuppie wrote:Dare I ask if you know how to use and maintain this gear? I don't want to sound condescending or anything. The big hassle is that elaborate lab instruments don't tend to get taken off line one day and sold in working condition the next. More often than not, they're driven into the ground, then sit in storage for months to years. By the time this stuff shows up on the market, it's typically in unknown condition, and the computer and software needed to make it work are long gone.

yes i do, and the above is precisely the kind of information my original post -- wherever it went -- was intended to elicit.

Scotty
Forum Addict

Postby Scotty » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:47 am

"it doesn't need to be current generation state-of-the-art, just work."

These people may have what you need.

http://www.madisonir.com/index.htm

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:25 pm

You can always find weird shit at UW Swap. Inventory varies week-to-week.

http://www.bussvc.wisc.edu/swap/

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:39 pm

I almost bought an electron microscope from SWAP once, just because I could.

Fortunately my good sense, such as it is, prevailed. Still, it would have been pretty swell:

Visitor to my sinister abode: What's that thing in the corner?

Me (casually): Oh, that's just my electron microscope...

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:23 pm

So I haven't looked at the swap auction in a while. Just saw that they have both of these items up for auction right now. What are the odds of that? And more than one of each.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”