Facebook Privacy

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Facebook Privacy

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri May 14, 2010 2:27 pm

Those of you on Facebook know that almost daily, someone is updating their status to warn fellow users about how their privacy is being violated and how to alter your security settings to fix it. I've talked about this with supaunknown, but I wonder what other people's take on all this hullabaloo is. What expectation of privacy should you have when you're going to an online social network in the first place? Seems to me I give out more personal information when I order a pizza. What information is being shared that some deem so private, and why would folks be sharing such things with anyone to begin with? Why should I care if my clicking preferences or list of favorite movie quotes are being shared with advertisers or other third parties? Why would anyone post a photo online if its existence could cause harm if it fell into the wrong hands? It's not like my medical records or social security number are being accessed. So what's with all the indignation and fear?
Last edited by Prof. Wagstaff on Fri May 14, 2010 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Facebook Privacy

Postby thebookpolice » Fri May 14, 2010 2:31 pm

People don't like being marketed to without some kind of social contract. You watch TV, you get commercials. It's understood. But if you log in on Facebook, and even if you expect your data to be read for advertising purposes, you don't necessarily expect that outside applications you aren't even using will access that data and market to you.

I'm not saying it's my fight, just that I think this is why it rankles some people.

But was this:

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:*I've never understood why people worry so much about their social security # anyway. It's a pretty useless piece of information.

meant to be a razzing statement? Have you never been met with "for confirmation purposes, I'll need your full name and the last four digits of your Social Security number"? A lot of major changes can be wrought upon financial transactions with that useless piece of information.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri May 14, 2010 2:36 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Have you never been met with "for confirmation purposes, I'll need your full name and the last four digits of your Social Security number"? A lot of major changes can be wrought upon financial transactions with that useless piece of information.

That piece of information and a whole lot of other stuff.
You can't access my bank account with just my name and social security number. To suggest so is pretty goofy.
And honestly, I can't remember the last time anyone asked for the last four digits of my SS#. These days, it's always security questions like my mother's maiden name or the street I grew up on (which both seem pretty readily available with only a tiny bit of research anyway.)

But let's just say I'm 100% wrong and SS#s are the most vital personal info we have, 'cuz I'm really interested in hearing about Facebook privacy, and you're right, I just shoulda left that last part out (and I've now edited it to hopefully avoid further distraction.)

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri May 14, 2010 2:45 pm

People don't like being marketed to without some kind of social contract.

Social contract like signing up for something free on the internet? I'd be outraged if I WASN'T marketed to. Why are people so sensitive about being advertised to? We've had lengthy bitchy discussions on these very boards to the point where a local musician, who has been promoted many times by the Isthmus, won't even let an ad for the freaking High Noon slip past his ever present ad filters. And another who was highly offended by the use of the most basic form of animation on the internet. Get over it. If you're getting something for FREE sack up and deal with a couple of ads. Google pulls keywords out of your personal emails to tailor ads to you. Where is the outrage over that? I certainly write more sensitive things there than I would ever think of putting up on a "Social Network".

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Fri May 14, 2010 3:01 pm

Like I said, not my fight. Just guessing. And Wags, I didn't say "bank account," but that's neither here (anymore) nor there.

chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby chainsawcurtis » Fri May 14, 2010 3:14 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
People don't like being marketed to without some kind of social contract.

Social contract like signing up for something free on the internet? I'd be outraged if I WASN'T marketed to. Why are people so sensitive about being advertised to? We've had lengthy bitchy discussions on these very boards to the point where a local musician, who has been promoted many times by the Isthmus, won't even let an ad for the freaking High Noon slip past his ever present ad filters. And another who was highly offended by the use of the most basic form of animation on the internet. Get over it. If you're getting something for FREE sack up and deal with a couple of ads.

I get that and agree with it but, this >
fisticuffs wrote:
Google pulls keywords out of your personal emails to tailor ads to you. Where is the outrage over that? I certainly write more sensitive things there than I would ever think of putting up on a "Social Network".

is news to me. I know that gmail is free but I guess i didn't realize that some robot at google was reading my mail. This is true? Is this how they target the sponsored ads on the side of an open email? If so they work very strangely...

I have no interest in any of this stuff!

Sponsored Links
Learn Jazz Guitar
10 Classic Jazz Tunes: Step by Step Summertime, All of Me, S' Wonderful
http://www.RedOakMusic.com

Red Dead Redemption
From the Makers of Grand Theft Auto Watch the New Launch Trailer Here!
Gametrailers.com/RedDeadRedemption

Free Internet Explorer® 8
Download the New, Optimized Version of Internet Explorer® for Free Now!
http://www.IE8optimized.com

Become a Military Officer
Earn A Degree In Criminal Justice Online At U. Of Phx. Get Free Info!
http://www.CriminalJusticePhoenix.com

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri May 14, 2010 3:24 pm

Charter verifies my account with the last 4 digits of my SS#.

If your privacy is your utmost concern, then Facebook isn't for you. I'd suggest living alone in a windowless shack. Stay off the grid!

Census workers are trying to steal your essence.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri May 14, 2010 3:27 pm

This is true?

Well I just opened up the email I wrote to my special lady friend about the Rickenbacker Bass I've been drooling over online and every ad on the right of that email was for a bass guitar or bass fishing. The top add was for Rickenbacker basses.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri May 14, 2010 3:33 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Why are people so sensitive about being advertised to?
I regularly wonder the same thing.
There are three things that particularly annoy me about advertising: 1) That it's apparently OK to outright lie, 2) that most ads insult my intelligence, and 3) that what's being advertised is of absolutely no interest to me.

Even given that #s 1 & 2 are almost assuredly here to stay, I'm still not completely immune to the power of advertising, so if #3 were less true, I'd be more likely to purchase and consume, which I assume is the goal of advertising in the first place (at least, I hope its main goal isn't just to lie and insult my intelligence.) Anything I can do to get more advertising geared towards my own personal taste seems like a win-win for all parties involved.

donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Fri May 14, 2010 3:41 pm

Most of the folk bothered by facebook privacy (or lack thereof) have never seen what information about them can be easily aggregated at pipl.com or spokeo.com without any facebook interaction at all.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri May 14, 2010 4:34 pm

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri May 14, 2010 4:36 pm

Also you think the recent blast of Facebook hating articles (I've seen several dozen) is just old uncle Murdoch (AKA Ned's boss) trying to get us all to go back to Myspace? Wouldn't be the first time he used one of his media outlets to fuel content for another.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri May 14, 2010 5:00 pm

Thanks to all my smug-ass friends who never got on Facebook for now sending me every one of these stories.

I'll say this about Facebook: It's huge. We get a ton of traffic just from people posting our stories to their profiles.

As for privacy, Facebook doesn't know my address or phone number or SS#.

chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Obliviously Clueless

Postby chainsawcurtis » Fri May 14, 2010 5:10 pm

Didn't know pipl existed...whew. But who would want to spend money finding out about me?

I just sent myself a note to my gmail address with the subject line "Dinner" and what I was cooking - Baked cod, broccoli, Tater Tots ( I know. I know. My wife loves them and the oven's gonna be on anyway). The ads on the side where all about cooking dinner but there was link to a page that had a bunch of Rib Rub recipes!

I guess I can assume that facebook looks at what you post and targets ads accordingly. The thing is, I see them but have never purposefully clicked one. Except to complain about them. I suppose that counts, too.

I have clicked an occasional DPF ad. Admittedly not often.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri May 14, 2010 5:31 pm

I started a thread on the Physicians Plus song, so guess whose ad is right of this post. But so is an ad for alt.com. Go figure.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”