Blogger Q&A

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Blogger Q&A

Postby MadMind75 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:40 pm

I'm somewhat new to blogger and haven't yet figured out all the ins and outs.

I'm someone that futz's with my post's a lot, and one thing I don't like is the auto-save feature when you're working on drafts (it makes things lag each time it's saving), and I don't like the fact that everytime you go back to work on a draft it doubles the spacing so that you have to go through and manually correct it.
I've looked up how to change the auto-save feature on drafts but all I could find is a suggestion to publish whatever you're working on and write "under construction" at the top until you're done working on the post. I'd rather not reveal a post before I'm done working on it, but I hate the auto-save and extra spacing on drafts.

Can you alter the colors and background of your blog without changing the layout?

Bookpolice, how do you add those sidebars (Where I am, Flickr, Blogroll 2.0)???

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Blogger Q&A

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:42 pm

This response is under construction.

/geocities

The simple answer is, keep on a'futzin'. There's nothing you can do with one click in Settings that can't be undone.

To change colors, you'll need to get into your expanded template and change the colors manually, but you'll need to know the HTML color codes to do that.

To get the sidebar stuff, you'll need to go into Layout and play with the Add and Arrange Page Elements options. It's pretty self-explanatory once you get in there.

I also recommend getting to know the real basic HTML stuff and write your posts in Edit HTML mode rather than Compose. Using Compose will mess with your formatting something fierce, plus it adds all kinds of extraneous HTML language to your posts.

Lastly, should you ever want to use block quoting, get to know this line of HTML: <div style="line-height: 1.6em;"> </div> . Blogger loves to reset your line-spacing after a blockquote command, and it looks like shit. After however many years I've been using Blogger, I have yet to see them fix this in the default settings for posting.

MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:03 pm

Lemme throw this question out there.
Bookpolice, I know you don't use images much in your blog...
If you backspace over an uploaded image, does it effectively delete it? Reason I ask is I've noticed that uploaded images do carry over, meaning if you copy & paste the code from an uploaded image into a new blog post it will come up.
I haven't found a way to to get into a blogger file manager. I just don't want unused images I've uploaded taking up unecessary space.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:11 am

If you're concerned about taking up Google's storage space (why, I can't imagine), log in to Picasa and clean out the images that aren't in use. Picasa is the Google product that maintains all image files associated with your Google accounts; that includes Blogger.

No, deleting the inserted code line for posting an image (the one that appears after you've uploaded the file) does not delete the image from Blogger's servers.

MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:21 pm

Is there an option to make all links on your blog open up in a new window?

TheBookPolice wrote:...and write your posts in Edit HTML mode rather than Compose. Using Compose will mess with your formatting something fierce, plus it adds all kinds of extraneous HTML language to your posts.

This couldn't be said enough. I don't understand why blogger adds all that annoying extra HTML code to posts in compose. It pretty much forces you to edit in HTML, and I find this frustrating because it's much more difficult to locate things and visualize the finished product in HTML. I find myself going back and forth between the two. Editing in HTML, then going back to compose to see if it looks right.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:22 pm

MadMind75 wrote:Is there an option to make all links on your blog open up in a new window?

http://www.google.com/search?q=HTML+ope ... ent=safari

MadMind75 wrote:I find myself going back and forth between the two. Editing in HTML, then going back to compose to see if it looks right.

There IS Show Preview for that.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:37 pm

There are many undesirable features that can be avoided by disabling javascript. I disable it by default, and enable it on a site-by-site basis. "No-Script" is a nice option for FireFox. Safari has it built in, I think. I'm not sure about Opera.

MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:48 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
MadMind75 wrote:Is there an option to make all links on your blog open up in a new window?

http://www.google.com/search?q=HTML+ope ... ent=safari

I meant more along the lines of a one click option in the settings to make all links across your blog to open in a new window. I'm not going to insert additional html code into each and every link I include.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:28 pm

MadMind75 wrote:I'm not going to insert additional html code into each and every link I include.

Then let your readers decide how they're going to navigate your blog. Making sure they're not steered away from your site before you want them to be is kind of a vanity project; if eyeballs are that important to you, a few extra keystrokes shouldn't be excessive effort.

Make a Word doc with the empty tags you don't want to take the time to type out every time, and just copy/paste when you're composing a new post. Otherwise, trust your readers to know how to hold down CMD or CTRL or use the center mouse button to open a new tab.

MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:29 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Then let your readers decide how they're going to navigate your blog. Making sure they're not steered away from your site before you want them to be is kind of a vanity project.

Dude, having a blog to begin with is vain. And since I probably read over my post's more than anyone else, I think I should have the right to format my blog any way I please.
But really, it's about functionality. When releasing link-heavy post's, one action rather than two (right clicking and open in a new window) can make all the difference in the world.
Last edited by MadMind75 on Mon May 18, 2015 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:56 am

MadMind75 wrote:one action rather than two (right clicking and open in a new window) can make all the difference in the world.

I should have expected this, but you might be the only person in America who still A) opens links in new windows rather than tabs, and B) uses two clicks to do it.

MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:34 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
MadMind75 wrote:one action rather than two (right clicking and open in a new window) can make all the difference in the world.

I should have expected this, but you might be the only person in America who still A) opens links in new windows rather than tabs, and B) uses two clicks to do it.

Even opening tabs takes two clicks. A right click and a left click. Tell me you're doin' it fancy pants.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:47 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:hold down CMD or CTRL or use the center mouse button to open a new tab.

MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:28 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:hold down CMD or CTRL or use the center mouse button to open a new tab.

That's still two steps. It's just one step per hand rather than two steps with the mouse.

MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:58 pm

Can someone explain to me (citing specific reasons) why many bloggers seem to have deserted blogspot for wordpress?
It's always blogspot-to-wordpress, and never vice versa.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”