How do websites know where you are?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

How do websites know where you are?

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:06 pm

When I'm at home, I go to my usual websites and there are always the same ads: "Madison Moms lost hundreds of pounds on the Tapeworm Diet!"

But when I'm at work, in my cubicle, at, um, the Omni Consumer Products Corporation, the same ads always say "Schenectady Moms lost hundreds of pounds on the Tapeworm Diet!" (same exact picture of hot Mom)

So today, I'm at work, and I go to MapMyRun.com, and it brings me straight to a map of Schenectady. Like I'm gonna go for a goddamn run in f'ing Schenectady!

So there must me something about my corporatlely assigned IP address that websites can somehow use to to determine where I might be, except that the gateway into the corporate intranet isn't here, it's there.

How closely can they pinpoint where you are?

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Re: How do websites know where you are?

Postby mrak » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:21 pm

I experience some of that same weirdness both at work and at home (which are both in Madison). My employer's ISP must have their major connection to the Internet in Portage, because all the ads using that trick invariably say Portage.

At home, my AT&T DSL service often yields varying results in those ads, usually placing me in Madison, but sometimes in Stoughton, McFarland or Sun Prairie.

Scotty
Forum Addict

Re: How do websites know where you are?

Postby Scotty » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:24 pm

Leo knows. He's a good resource for computer-internet questions.

http://ask-leo.com/how_do_those_ads_kno ... _live.html

Return to “Technology & Video Games”