anyone proficient on sony vegas?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

anyone proficient on sony vegas?

Postby depinmad » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:26 am

and if so, interested in making a few bucks giving me a tutorial?

talagaster
Forum Addict

Re: anyone proficient on sony vegas?

Postby talagaster » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:36 am

I'd be interested, tell me what kinds of projects you are going to be working and I'll work up some examples from my 'portfolio' and give you a price quote.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:49 am

i'm not trying to do anything fancy. just trying to understand the basics.

Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:00 am

I've done it for making radio shows and commercials and stuff. Are you looking for something just a little more fancy than Audacity, then?

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:03 am

i'm shooting a bunch of hd video and want to edit the footage. i took a one night class on final cut pro and loved it but i don't have a mac or final cut pro. i do however have a pc and sony vegas. i've been fooling around with it for a few days and i have been leafing through the 400 page manual, but i don't feel like i'm grasping even the basic concepts of how this thing is supposed to work. i'm stumbling and fumbling through even the most basic cuts and transitions. i just kind of want someone who knows it well to sit with me for a couple of hours and show me all the obvious stuff.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:30 pm

I don't have many free evenings between now and Halloween, but I do work regularly with Vegas, so if you want to post some questions I'll do my best to answer them.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:33 pm

cool, well right off the top of my head of things i've tried today, how do i do a simple dissolve that doesn't involve addition or subtraction, and how do i expand or contract the length of a dissolve or a fade?

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:20 pm

depinmad wrote:cool, well right off the top of my head of things i've tried today, how do i do a simple dissolve that doesn't involve addition or subtraction, and how do i expand or contract the length of a dissolve or a fade?

Are you sure you want Dissolve instead of Crossfade?
Go to View and select Transitions. All your choices will appear at the bottom of your screen. Select the one you like and drag it into postion on the video timeline.
If you're trying to crossfade and/or dissolve between two sections, the effect time will be equal to the length of time the two sections are transitioning over each other. If you're trying to just dissolve to/from black, you can grab the upper left/right of the transition itself once it's placed on the timeline and stretch/shrink it.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:25 pm

crossfade would be fine, but i can't seem to figure out one that just crossfades without any other hijinx. and like you say it seems like overlapping the two video events on the same track of the timeline would work but that seems to just have the second event cut off the part of the first one that it covers...

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:38 pm

Have you considered using star wipes exclusively? You should.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:58 pm

depinmad wrote:crossfade would be fine, but i can't seem to figure out one that just crossfades without any other hijinx. and like you say it seems like overlapping the two video events on the same track of the timeline would work but that seems to just have the second event cut off the part of the first one that it covers...

All sorts of crossfades are available. If you have two video events overlapping each other, right click on the timeline where they overlap. Near the top of the pop-up menu will be Fade Type. Select the one you think works best.
But it sounds like you'd rather not lose any vid by crossfading sections, and it doesn't seem like you want any fancy-pants transitions. Vegas by default automatically adds simple crossfades at the beginning & end of audio/video events on the timeline. Click on the upper corner of these fades and stretch/shrink to taste. When you fade something out, it should go to black (unless you've chosen a special background).
You can preview your work using Video Preview (under View).
Gosh this would be easier just to show you hands-on. I hope this is helping.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:36 pm

yes it would be, but yes it is helpful. did you learn by reading the manual or did you have someone show you/take some classes? or just fool around til you got it...

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:03 pm

depinmad wrote:yes it would be, but yes it is helpful. did you learn by reading the manual or did you have someone show you/take some classes? or just fool around til you got it...

Had some help along the way occasionally, but it's mostly been through trial & error. Been working with Vegas for years now and still learn new things all the time. It's one of those programs. Don't own a manual, but have used the Help Index within the program itself.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:15 pm

yeah i've tried the help index a few times, but just now your explanation of grabbing the fade and pulling was the most helpful tip i've received yet.
my goal is to keep working with it for the next three weeks or so and see how i feel at that time.
i just feel like maybe i'm doing things way more awkwardly than i have to. for instance, i wanted to get rid of some audio glitches on a small section at the end of a video clip and the closest i could figure to do it was to split the track so that the one piece was isolated and then drag down the gain for that whole new split clip. i can't seem to figure out how to ride the volume up and down over the course of a clip.

youngmiki13

Postby youngmiki13 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:25 pm

Hi! I am new here...and also new to Sony Vegas...

I tried "editing" the sounds of the clips that I have using the mixer...there is some sort of sound mixer there and you can also adjust the surround sound by clicking on the tiny speakers found on the left side (the part where you see your files). I think it's called the surround mater, not quite sure though.It can soften the sounds or it can also make it louder, depending on the settings you choose.

Sorry, I really do not know the terminologies. Perhaps you can try to watch tutorials on the internet. Youtube has heaps of those...good luck!!

Return to “Technology & Video Games”