Internet Speeds

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Internet Speeds

Postby Shorty » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:36 pm

Ashman library.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:45 pm

Charter 10MB.

chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby chainsawcurtis » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:59 am

But, seriously, folks. I don't understand much about how the interwebs work. Can somebody explain why all these isps are are using the same server in Germantown? Is it a big server farm or something up there?

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:39 pm

just downgraded from the Charter 20MB after they raised the rate.
$87 for 20MB down, 5 MB up?
No. Sorry.

Here's the 10MBm $55 a mont....downtown, near West.

BTW - Charter is trying to rope people into 2 year contract deals for internet service by offering a discounted rate.
Example: the 10MB service at $40 a month ($10 discount) if you sign on for a 2 year deal.
Not a good deal, especially if speeds keep increasing every 6 months or so like they have.
Yes, they do tell you that you can change your speed duing the 2 years...but there is a surchage to change it if whether you go up or down in speed.
Last edited by jammybastard on Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:43 pm

Can anyone familiar w/ UVerse give more info about them? I'm moving and presently use Charter but I'd love to use someone else if possible.

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:48 pm

rrnate wrote:Can anyone familiar w/ UVerse give more info about them? I'm moving and presently use Charter but I'd love to use someone else if possible.

https://uverse1.att.com/un/OmsNavigateMenuAction.do

Phone, net and tv bundle starts at $90 a month.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:35 pm

chainsawcurtis wrote:But, seriously, folks. I don't understand much about how the interwebs work. Can somebody explain why all these isps are are using the same server in Germantown? Is it a big server farm or something up there?

The speedtest.net site has hosted servers where their speed test can run from stationed all over the world. In order to test your connection's latency and throughput, it is best to run your speed test from the server that is closest to you (assuming the server is not overloaded). The closest server to Madison is in Germantown, which is "recommended" by the Speedtest site as soon as you log on (based on your IP). I am sure you could pick another server - but the further you go, the more likely you are to run into hiccups along the way - which could impact your tested speed and make it look like you have a slower connection than you actually have.

It might help to think about it this way - Let's say you want to test how fast your car can go - the test will begin as soon as you start your car. Given these parameters, you'd want to get to the closest straight and empty road you can find and then go as fast as you can. This is essentially what selecting the closest server is doing.

Ideally, you'd run these right from Charter's head-end before you even hook up to the internet to see what your potential maximum speed is. Then you'd have to know Charter's speed test address - which I have forgotten. This would be roughly equivalent to taking the fastest, straightest empty road and plopping it down at the end of your driveway.

chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby chainsawcurtis » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:26 am

So it's speedtest's server not the isp's. Got it. Makes sense now. Thanks.

joey

Postby joey » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:29 pm

i forgot to post my charter speed:
ahhh..much better...

mearlus

Postby mearlus » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:18 pm

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:20 pm

ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:28 pm

I recently moved from Madison to Columbus, OH and I have to say that I don't miss Madison's slow, expensive internet service. At least if you're not a UW student. I'm paying about $50 a month for my internet now and its advertised at 768 kilobit up, 12 megabit down but I usually get 20-25 megabit down.

ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:33 pm

Nevermind..it's been a while since I had charter and it looks like they're finally starting to offer some more reasonable speeds at a decent price.

joey

Postby joey » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:51 pm

i made the switch to charter, and it's been great. i'm on 5 meg service and the "introductory" price is pretty good..i forget exactly how much it is... here's my speed:

Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:41 am

Uverse, west side.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”