Video Game Movies

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Video Game Movies

Postby MadMind » Tue May 12, 2009 2:42 am

List Of Films Based On Video Games

In an attempt to consolidate other threads on movies based on video games Max Payne: The Movie or movies about video games The Rocka-fire Explosion Movie, The King Of Kong, I'm gonna kick it off with Resident Evil: Degeneration.

I just recently watched the CGI Resident Evil: Degeneration and was impressed with it. It features Leon (from RE2 and RE4) and Claire Redfield (from RE2 and Code: Veronica) and takes place after the events of Raccoon City. It has great graphics...errr uh CGI, and is much more in-line with the video game franchise than the increasingly bad live-action films starring Milla Jovovich.

It is also interesting to see what happened to the US after the events of Racoon City, as everything after RE2 and RE3 (Code: Veronica, RE4, RE5) has taken place in countries other than the good ole' US of A.

Resident Evil: Degeneration along with Final Fantasy: Advent Children (not Spirits Within, that movie was garbage) are great examples of how to do CGI movies based around video games right.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Video Game Movies

Postby Shipley » Tue May 12, 2009 9:33 am

These examples are extended cinematic scenes based on those games. They're not good standalone movies.
I thought Advent Children was terrible. I didn't play FF 7, and this movie REQUIRES you play the game to understand anything. Thats bad film making.

Prince of Persia and Bioshock are becomming movies, and to that I say NO.

I say NO a thousand times.

Not becuase I don't think games can become movies, I just don't think theres enough people in Hollywood who give a shit yet to get it right. Took Spider-man years to get to the screen because they had to wait until Someone cared enough to do Spider-Man RIGHT. Transformers as a live action movie was pitched for 7 years before they finally got a studio exec who knew the concept and agreed that Optimus Prime should be able to talk (though they still muted Bumblebee).

I think in another 15 years we'll have enough old gamers in important positions to get these properties right, and not just look at them as cash ins on successful names. Halo was shelved because they wouldn't give creative control to Bungie, the studio that CREATED the games, and still give them a budget big enough to make a movie that didn't look like it was filmed in someone's backyard.

Hollywood has a long way to catch up. They'll get there, just not yet.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue May 12, 2009 2:33 pm

I say yes, yes, YES to video game movies. Anything that gives uwe boll more ability to wow me with his personality is by default good. When was the last that Uwe beat one of his critics up in a boxing ring? It's been way too long...

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue May 12, 2009 5:07 pm

Shipley wrote:I thought Advent Children was terrible. I didn't play FF 7, and this movie REQUIRES you play the game to understand anything. Thats bad film making.

Hollywood has a long way to catch up. They'll get there, just not yet.

That isn't bad filmmaking, that's fan-service for the 10 million+ to have played Final Fantasy 7.
Lots of movie sequels also require you to have seen any previous entries in the series.

And yes, I agree the majority of movies based on video games have in the past been very poor. My point is that they're getting better. And it's going to be a gradual thing. It isn't going to happen all at once.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue May 12, 2009 6:14 pm

You know what ABC's early-'80s Pac-Man cartoon had going for it? Marty Motherfucking Ingels.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue May 12, 2009 6:25 pm

MadMind wrote:
Shipley wrote:I thought Advent Children was terrible. I didn't play FF 7, and this movie REQUIRES you play the game to understand anything. Thats bad film making.

That isn't bad filmmaking, that's fan-service for the 10 million+ to have played Final Fantasy 7.

fan service to an OUT OF PRINT game. I couldn't catch up if I wanted to.

And I think when you jump mediums like from book to movie or movie to game or whatever, you should be able to figure out whats going on without having to reference. A 70 hour game should not be a prerequisite for bad cartoon thats little over an hour. FF Advent Children is objectively terrible storytelling and little more than an extended clip finishing the game a decade too late. Its also inappropriately made when all the fans want is for the damn game to be re-released on remade.

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Wed May 13, 2009 8:27 am

I'm really looking forward to the Pong movie. I really hope they make it in 3D, too.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu May 14, 2009 5:21 pm

Why don't the studios don't pick up "Half-Life" or "Far Cry?" It seems like those games would translate wonderfully into movies. I suppose they'd be expensive to make and they want some guarantee that it's going to pay for itself. I'm perfectly willing to admit that some of my favorite games would be duds on the big screen, like "Baldur's Gate II" or "Morrowind/Oblivion", but I honestly can't imagine that a well made "Half-Life" would be anything but a complete blockbuster.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu May 14, 2009 5:53 pm

Far Cry is already coming soon. Directed by Uwe Boll no less.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0400426/

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu May 14, 2009 7:13 pm

Half Life is too good as a game to be a movie. Besides, you'd have to write lines and give a personality to Freeman.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon May 18, 2009 12:45 pm

TAsunder wrote:Far Cry is already coming soon. Directed by Uwe Boll no less.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0400426/

Actually, it looks like Far Cry is already out on DVD. But it's a B-movie and it doesn't sound like it's actually about the video game, save for the names of the characters. No mutant monsters? Ok... well that's not Far Cry is it? Maybe they should do Half-Life with no aliens, mkay?

Return to “Technology & Video Games”