Charter going bankrupt?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Charter going bankrupt?

Postby eriedasch » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:23 pm

Either that or they will be aquired by someone else.

I sure would hate to think it had anything to do with their excellent customer service or fair/equal customer pricing system.

http://www.madison.com/tct/mad/latest/318539

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Char ... 2009-99674

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Charter going bankrupt?

Postby Michael Patrick » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:20 pm

Everything you need to know is right here in this quote from the Cap Times article...

Charter, which is controlled by Microsoft Corp. co-founder Paul Allen, reported interest costs of $478 million for the third quarter compared with operating income of $208 million.

Interest costs alone are more than double operating income.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:10 pm

their whole "live it with charter" program can blow me. it's like chuck e cheese, only even more impossible to accumulate enough points to cash in on anything more than a pencil eraser.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:43 pm

Charter is a wonderful company that provides an essential product at a reasonable price! And how about that customer service! I wish them every success!

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:19 pm

If they hadn't mailed me three pieces of junk mail a week for the last two years they might have more cash on hand.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:21 pm

I think they probably could've have saved a few bucks by NOT having Dan Akroyd call and leave me voicemail about their wonderful new packages.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:32 pm

I also asked them to stop sending me junk mail shortly after a rate increase.

Sigh.

They do employ a lot of people here and are the largest cable provider in the area so I hope they reorganize and whatever blah blah blah.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:30 pm

On the one hand, many, many, many things suck about Charter.

On the other hand, the same things suck about ANY ISP in the United States. They all get the benefit of legislation that says "it's not a monopoly even though you really have no competition in your area".

All that said, of the ISPs violating the most basic tenets of net neutrality, Charter is - quite surprisingly - pretty close to the bottom of the list.

If Charter fails, some piece of shit capping/filtering ISP is bound to replace them. They'll have all the bullshit service we're already accustomed to, plus bandwidth caps and bittorrent filtering, and a bunch of other policies telling you how and when you can use your internet connection.

In some ways, Charter is really the lesser of worst evils.

I hope Charter succeeds, and legislation changes so they have to start competing for customers in the way most companies do (same for phone companies - only cell phone providers have forced those cunts to buck up). Then we can maybe add some customer service to the other excellent services Charter actually manages to provide - like high bandwidth, somewhat reasonably-priced, reliable uncapped and unfiltered internet connections.

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:29 pm

I've been with Charter since the first week they offered broadband internet, January 1997.
I've only had one problem with their service, and it was quickly resolved.
So I have no complaints.
BUT...

I use them for internet ONLY and as Beer Moon said they are great
because they don't filter and don't cap torrents, downloads, etc...
In fact I've thought of ditching my Dish Network account because everything I watch I can download within an hour after it airs thanks to Charter providing a 15MB broadband connection.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:18 am

Beer Moon wrote:On the one hand, many, many, many things suck about Charter.

On the other hand, the same things suck about ANY ISP in the United States. They all get the benefit of legislation that says "it's not a monopoly even though you really have no competition in your area".

How in the world can a virtual monopoly screw things up so badly it goes broke? I seriously do not get this.

Ed Breakfast
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ed Breakfast » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:03 am

I'll say it again. We should establish a regional information technology authority, similar to the proposed regional transit authority, and buy this infrastructure from Charter at what I would assume would be a bargain-basement price and let them go on their merry way. They've got a lot of fiber in the ground. We just fill in the blanks and offer data, telephony and television as a publicly owned and operated utility. AT&T will fail soon enough. The people aught to control information. It's pretty simple.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:18 am

Can't they get a government bailout?

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:38 am

I think my feelings about Charter are pretty well documented here. Given some of the incredibly horrific infrastructure decisions this company has made, it comes as no surprise to me. When you have people having to wait 1 hour for a toolbox they forgot to bring charging you an hourly rate to do a job, you are bound to go bankrupt.

Incidentally, Charter may not block peer to peer traffic, but they do honor MPAA / RIAA requests. I got a warning from Charter that if I downloaded any more TV shows illegally, my account would be terminated. This after downloading a single episode of House that I missed, not surprisingly, because Charter took a month to install my service once.

Of course, if you use PeerGuardian or similar you are probably safe.

I don't get what you are saying, though, Beer Moon. Charter is in the list you posted as limiting bandwidth. A lot of ISPs aren't even on that list. Doesn't that mean Charter is actually a bad ISP according to the link?

Is AT&T actually filtering anything yet? Last I heard they were just thinking about it and hadn't acted yet.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:36 pm

TAsunder wrote:Incidentally, Charter may not block peer to peer traffic, but they do honor MPAA / RIAA requests. I got a warning from Charter that if I downloaded any more TV shows illegally, my account would be terminated. This after downloading a single episode of House that I missed, not surprisingly, because Charter took a month to install my service once.

Of course, if you use PeerGuardian or similar you are probably safe.

I don't get what you are saying, though, Beer Moon. Charter is in the list you posted as limiting bandwidth. A lot of ISPs aren't even on that list. Doesn't that mean Charter is actually a bad ISP according to the link?

You don't need Peer Guardian anymore, uTorrent offers encryption. You'll sacrifice some bandwidth if you enable it, but you can do it if you're worried.

Charter does have a policy that they will cap you if you download too much. Happen to know of anyone who has hit this limit?

Several friends of mine are big, big downloaders. I have yet to hear of them enforcing that policy. I am assuming - at least for now - that you have to abuse it a lot to get capped. I know I have cracked at least 25GB in a month many times - and like you - I have only ever received notice about copyrighted material once.

That isn't Charter. It's the MPAA/RIAA. Now - they aren't GREAT - because they do agree to pass on the notice - but the vast majority of ISPs do this simply to avoid lawsuits. That's a legal precedent set by - once again - total shit legislation.

Now, most torrent programs should begin using UDP soon, which supposedly will take care of the throttling issues. Not sure about how that relates to encryption just yet.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:41 pm

I think that bandwidth policy is only in certain markets, but I could be wrong.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”