Transferring Files Between PC's

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:59 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:
MadMind wrote:
TAsunder wrote:If you have a hub or router that you can plug both into, you can just use two straight cables to the hub/router.

I have a router that both PC's are running off of, albeit the laptop is running off the wireless connection.

See, this you would have wanted to disclose at the beginning. You transfer the files via the router.

Ok, next question would be - How?

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:07 pm

can't you see them on the network? drag & drop, son.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:40 pm

He may very well need to share out his drive first before he can access it with the other computer over the network.

Sorry but I'm going to pose an option I didn't see mentioned that I have found to be easiest.

I always found sharing annoying, because then I'd want to disable it afterwards, so I have taken to simply plugging in the extra drive to the computer I want to transfer it to, and then just copying it over from one drive to the other. This works if both drives use a file format that both can read - like NTFS or FAT32.

It is even faster than a network transfer, and plugging in an extra hard drive is about as complicated as legos. You just need the hard drive and a spare power adapter (which most computers have in spades) and you can use the hard drive cable (IDE or SATA) from the computer you are borrowing it from for the data transfer.

If the computer you want to transfer the files to is a laptop, then you could plug in the other hard drive using a USB or eSATA connection (eSATA is faster - but your laptop may only offer USB). Not faster than ethernet this way (I don't think) - but still avoids the sharing pain. You'd need a hard drive enclosure - usually about $30 - that would both power the hard drive with a power cord and also turn the IDE or SATA connector into USB 2.0. Again - this is a drag and drop transfer.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:50 pm

Ok, next question would be - How?

Oh man I saw that coming from a mile away. You need to call the geeksquad bro.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:06 pm

Shipley wrote:can't you see them on the network? drag & drop, son.

No. My PC never recognized the router's set-up disc, so as far as my PC's concerned the router probably doesn't even exist.
Beer Moon wrote:You should be able to go to your web browser on your PC and type in 192.168.0.1 (that works for Linksys I think) and get to the router configuration screen.

Beer Moon wrote:If the computer you want to transfer the files to is a laptop, then you could plug in the other hard drive using a USB or eSATA connection (eSATA is faster - but your laptop may only offer USB).

It took all this time for someone to answer "Yes" to my original query?
MadMind wrote:I want to transfer some files over from a desktop PC to a laptop PC. Can I do this via USB easy enough?

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:18 pm

My birch bark idea is looking more and more like the most viable suggestion.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:00 pm

Or he could open and display the files one by one on Computer #1, get a digital camera and photograph the screen over and over to capture the images of the files, plug the camera in to Computer #2, download the images....

no, I like the birchbark thing better.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:27 pm

You've got your answer! Just throw down the $30 for an enclosure and...oh, wait.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:37 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:You've got your answer! Just throw down the $30 for an enclosure and...oh, wait.

Previous advice implied he needed to buy a whole new external hard drive to ferry over the information from one computer to the next - and a USB card for his desktop to enable faster transfers from the desktop to the external hard drive.

I'm suggesting he takes out the hard drive and plugs it into an external hard drive case - and just takes that drive directly over to the laptop.

"External" hard drives are not some new special type of storage - they're just a hard drive with a power adapter for the wall and an input/output adapter for USB or whatever.

I said $30 - but that was the price of the external enclosure I purchased which has fancy blue lights and needs to cool efficiently and be quiet, etc. I found some for $15 that will do just fine for a one-time transfer. Just check Newegg for External Enclosures.

If you DO buy a nicer one, though - you'd be able to keep using that desktop drive as added storage on your laptop. Not sure if you planned to keep the desktop in action or not - but it's an option.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:51 am

Beer Moon wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote:You've got your answer! Just throw down the $30 for an enclosure and...oh, wait.

Previous advice implied he needed to buy a whole new external hard drive to ferry over the information from one computer to the next - and a USB card for his desktop to enable faster transfers from the desktop to the external hard drive.

I'm suggesting he takes out the hard drive and plugs it into an external hard drive case - and just takes that drive directly over to the laptop.

"External" hard drives are not some new special type of storage - they're just a hard drive with a power adapter for the wall and an input/output adapter for USB or whatever.

I said $30 - but that was the price of the external enclosure I purchased which has fancy blue lights and needs to cool efficiently and be quiet, etc. I found some for $15 that will do just fine for a one-time transfer. Just check Newegg for External Enclosures.

If you DO buy a nicer one, though - you'd be able to keep using that desktop drive as added storage on your laptop. Not sure if you planned to keep the desktop in action or not - but it's an option.

My point was that MadMind has declared an unwillingness to spend any money at all, so this excellent suggestion won't work for him. How much does birch bark cost?

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:34 pm

Beer Moon wrote:You'd need a hard drive enclosure - usually about $30 - that would both power the hard drive with a power cord and also turn the IDE or SATA connector into USB 2.0. Again - this is a drag and drop transfer.

Why do I need all that crap? Why can't I just bring the laptop over to the desktop?
Is this merely a suggestion - not a necessity?
Last edited by MadMind on Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:40 pm

USB 1.0 transmits data at no faster than 1.5 MB/s (if I'm reading the numbers correctly). You've got 25 GB of data. Sloooooooow.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:44 pm

MadMind wrote:
Beer Moon wrote:You'd need a hard drive enclosure - usually about $30 - that would both power the hard drive with a power cord and also turn the IDE or SATA connector into USB 2.0. Again - this is a drag and drop transfer.

Why do I need all that crap? Why can't I just bring the laptop over to the desktop?
Is this merely a suggestion - not a necessity?

If by "all that crap" you mean the one piece of hardware I suggested, then yes you need "all that crap".

Hard drives connect using IDE or SATA cables. These are connections provided internally off of the motherboard of your computer. Laptops tend to have a very compact motherboard in the interest of saving space. They aren't going to provide another connection for a hard drive because there is nowhere to put another hard drive inside the machine. It would be a waste of engineering space for the motherboard which is designed specifically for the case it comes in.

Conversely, desktop motherboards are designed for any case - using a generic standard. They have plenty of room, and additional options often sell the device - so manufacturers often cram as many connections for hard drives as they can allow - often going so far as to offer RAID right on the board - which can make adding extra storage for data backups convenient and effective (if not always great for performance or easy to set up).

Desktop to desktop - you could just plug in your old drive to the new computer and transfer the files by dragging them from one drive to another. Because you purchased a laptop, that is not possible - so your only choice is an external connection. Your laptop may have firewire - and in that case you could buy a firewire-enabled enclosure. USB 2.0 is a no-brainer; even the most crap laptops have them - and that connection is available on even the cheapest external enclosures.

I linked a $15 hard drive enclosure, and pointed out that you can leave your original hard drive in there for expanded storage - that seems like a pretty damn good deal to me.

Another option suggested requires you to do some configuration on your network to transfer the files that way. You can go ahead and do that if you want. It will be easier with the enclosure - and I only suggested it because you balked at the suggestion that you do it over the network. You WILL need to share out your drive and putz with some settings to get that to work. It isn't complicated - but it's more complicated than using an enclosure.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:51 am

Beer Moon wrote:Another option suggested requires you to do some configuration on your network to transfer the files that way. You can go ahead and do that if you want. It will be easier with the enclosure - and I only suggested it because you balked at the suggestion that you do it over the network. You WILL need to share out your drive and putz with some settings to get that to work. It isn't complicated - but it's more complicated than using an enclosure.

Thanks again Beer Moon. I'm going to have to go with your suggestion. Looking online it appears people have had real problems networking a Win98SE machine with Vista.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:22 pm

MadMind wrote:Thanks again Beer Moon. I'm going to have to go with your suggestion. Looking online it appears people have had real problems networking a Win98SE machine with Vista.

Yep could be tricky. Vista to XP/Media Center works well for me - the sharing menu is very user-friendly.

There isn't much of a sharing window on 98SE, and I remember it being tricky to do 98SE to 98SE. We used to use FTP clients a lot at gaming events - just because it was easier than the Windows version.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”