Transferring Files Between PC's

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Transferring Files Between PC's

Postby MadMind » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:55 am

I want to transfer some files over from a desktop PC to a laptop PC. Can I do this via USB easy enough?
The desktop does not have USB 2.0 or Firewire.

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:04 am

0. Get a USB PCI board for the PC. $20. Don't be a cheapskate.
1. Get yourself a USB external harddrive. That way you'll have this handy backup device to save your ass later.
2. Connect the two computers together in a network and on each one, make a folder to be a share drive available to the other PC. You can get an ethernet pin-swapping cable so that you don't even need a hub or router.
3. Burn a CD or DVD.
4. E-mail your files to yourself.
5. Print out the files onto paper and then re-type them on the other PC.
6. Take your PC and your credit card to the Apple store and let that smarmy Mac guy hose you but good.
7. Become a Luddite, reject technology, and write your ranting 100000 word manifesto on strips of birch bark.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:47 pm

1. I am a cheapskate and do not want to purchase any new hardware/software to complete this simple task.

2. I have USB just not USB 2.0.

3. I have around 25 gigabytes of material to transfer over and do not have a DVD-R drive, which is why I am looking for an easy solution that does not involve burning around 40 CD-R's.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:54 pm

The easiest thing (involving buying no hardware and using technology you already seem to have) is create a gmail account for yourself. Break the old files into smaller sections and name them so you can tell what's what. Email them to your own gmail account. Gmail has unlimited storage.

When you want to use one of the old files, download it on your other computer.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:20 pm

MadMind wrote:I am a cheapskate and do not want to purchase any new hardware/software to complete this simple task.

This simple task requires more hardware than you have. Either buy a new hard drive to move this stuff all to via USB or buy an ethernet cable.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:21 pm

snoqueen wrote:The easiest thing (involving buying no hardware and using technology you already seem to have) is create a gmail account for yourself. Break the old files into smaller sections and name them so you can tell what's what. Email them to your own gmail account. Gmail has unlimited storage.

When you want to use one of the old files, download it on your other computer.

That would probably be more time consuming than burning 40 CD-R's.

Shipley wrote:
MadMind wrote:I am a cheapskate and do not want to purchase any new hardware/software to complete this simple task.

This simple task requires more hardware than you have. Either buy a new hard drive to move this stuff all to via USB or buy an ethernet cable.

I have an ethernet cable.

HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:00 pm

- Find a friend with an external hard drive that you can borrow.

- Be frugal, but don't be a cheapskate.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Transferring Files Between PC's

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:26 pm

There's always fun with a null modem.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:42 pm

HeyZeus wrote:- Find a friend with an external hard drive that you can borrow.

I don't get it. Why would I need an external hard drive as a buffer to transfer files between two internal hard drives? Why can't I just hook up the two PC's directly and transfer the files that way?

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:08 pm

MadMind wrote:
HeyZeus wrote:- Find a friend with an external hard drive that you can borrow.

I don't get it. Why would I need an external hard drive as a buffer to transfer files between two internal hard drives? Why can't I just hook up the two PC's directly and transfer the files that way?

Because unlike most any networking solution, using a hard drive probably means not having to mess around with any settings. Just plug in the drive and copy.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:37 pm

I'm surprised no one has suggested something as easy as a USB flash drive. Cheaper than an external hard drive that's for sure.

HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:50 pm

MadMind wrote:I'm surprised no one has suggested something as easy as a USB flash drive. Cheaper than an external hard drive that's for sure.

You said you were a cheapskate.

Ok, borrow a flash drive from a friend.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:48 am

MadMind wrote:I'm surprised no one has suggested something as easy as a USB flash drive. Cheaper than an external hard drive that's for sure.

You never said how much data you were looking to transfer. But thanks for the criticism of the free advice.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:31 am

tech support! its a nightmare!

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:13 am

Kenneth Burns wrote:

You never said how much data you were looking to transfer. But thanks for the criticism of the free advice.

Yuh-huh, he did too.

3. I have around 25 gigabytes of material to transfer over

And MadMind, the reason no one's suggested it is because it's a Band Aid. We're trying to treat the disease, not the symptoms. And the disease is your somewhat amusing but apparently chronic case of obsolescence.

It's much easier to use a computer if it's a computer from this decade!

Return to “Technology & Video Games”