Who has IPhones in Madison?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:13 pm

"$300 for a phone? $70/mo for service? That's insane!"

It would be, except that an iPhone is NOT a phone. It's a fully-functional computer with a constant internet connection, that also happens to have phone capabilities. If that's what you want, pay it -- you're not being ripped off.

If you "just want a phone," then go buy one and be happy.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:16 pm

If you "just want a phone," then go buy one and be happy.

Exactly. Talking on the phone is probably what I use mine for the least amount.

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:30 pm

Just stopped by the ATT Store on University.
They are taking fulfillment orders for 3G phones, and from what they said most people are getting the phones within 5 days of the order being placed at the store.
I talked to them about getting a plan for my wife and I and what it would cost.
It was a good deal compared to our current US Cellular plans, plus I would get an IPhone and my wife would get a very nice new phone for free.
I can dig that.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:03 pm

I really want an iPhone. losing stuff like cut & paste text and taking video (stuff I can do on a blackberry or a Palm) seems like a really big deal and I just can't get around why I can't get this very old smart phone features on something cutting edge.

I'll have to raise some cash to get out of my sprint contract which would include saving some money and selling off my ipod...

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:12 pm

I've been all fired up to shed my very stylish but underused Clie, and I have an old 3G iPod to sell, but the income will have to go into savings for a future date with the iPhone.

I feel like I'm going through the 5 stages here.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:50 pm

Well, we've got the new 3G in the house. I haven't checked it out yet, since we're still downloading all the shiat, but at a quick glance it does make the old iPhone look pretty portly.

I'm a little tempted to snag the old one, but I really do use my phone just as a phone, and I like how little the Krazr is. When I switch phones it'll be for something smaller.

spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:37 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:I feel like I'm going through the 5 stages here.

12 steps for me, but I'm feelin' ya.

Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Postby Pogoagogo » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:52 am

I've got the 2.5G iphone and love it. Through the years, I've owned an HP200LX palmtop (it ran PC DOS), Apple newtown, a palm III, palm V, Dell Axim x3, and Treo with Windows Mobile. I can't even compare the iphone to those other items.

Each time I bought a new device, I hoped it would somehow integrate into my life, be useful, and help me keep organized. After a few weeks, or months, all of those things ended up sitting in a desk drawer unused.

The iphone is different. It's intuitive, useful, and incredibly addicting. With the addition of the app store in software version 2.0, the experience will only get better. I'm keeping my 2.5g (edge) phone as 3G isn't really all that important to me. Wifi is readily available and I'd rather pay $20.00 for unlimited access at this point.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:58 am

Tempting, but here's what's holding me back (taken from recent reviews):

- No cut/paste
- No instant messaging
- No video (not that big a deal, but still)
- Higher monthly fees / no help for those with non-iPhones to upgrade

And the biggie in my book:

- Non-user-replaceable battery, which apparently will not last a full day with the current model (if 3G is regularly used)

I can live with some of the others, but really, a hardwired battery? WTF? That was a stupid idea in the previous model, and it's even stupider now. I've had to replace the battery on every single one of my previous phones because of end-of-life for the battery before the phone.

Someone care to explain that one, or convince me that's a non-issue?

Oh, and the exclusive contract with AT&T is evil.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:07 am

ilikebeans wrote:And the biggie in my book:

- Non-user-replaceable battery, which apparently will not last a full day with the current model (if 3G is regularly used)

I can live with some of the others, but really, a hardwired battery? WTF? That was a stupid idea in the previous model, and it's even stupider now. I've had to replace the battery on every single one of my previous phones because of end-of-life for the battery before the phone.

Someone care to explain that one, or convince me that's a non-issue?

Man, I don't know what you fuckers are doing with your phones that the batteries actually die before the phone does. Maybe I don't keep phones long enough (usually 2 years and change). Maybe Sony Ericsson has really good batteries, since 3 of my 4 phones have come from them.

But I'm sorry; battery life that still allows me to talk uninterruptedly for 3-4 hours is good enough for me. Two strategically placed chargers solve all problems.

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:18 am

ilikebeans wrote:Tempting, but here's what's holding me back (taken from recent reviews):

- No cut/paste
- No instant messaging
- No video (not that big a deal, but still)

- The cut/paste is really kind of weird, but you have to think the situation through to understand why. There is no stylus, so the problem isn't actually a cut/paste function, which would be trivial, it's a select text problem.

- There's a free AIM app in the app store

- And a YouTube app on the deck.

The battery myth is being promulgated by people that don't really understand 3G handsets. To wit:

(Click to expand)

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:37 am

Yep, battery life is a non-issue when compared to other devices. People want the iPhone to solve the 3G battery life problem but it didn't. Instead it is just a bit better than most.

You can also IM via beejive and other web-enabled apps, aside from the built-in AIM. Before the 2.0 update, I had Fring, which is a VOIP and IM client that worked pretty well also.

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:36 am

I'm off to Denver at 7:30 am tomorrow and I'll continue my search for an IPhone when I get there.
Supposedly there are some in Boulder...we'll see.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:51 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Man, I don't know what you fuckers are doing with your phones that the batteries actually die before the phone does. Maybe I don't keep phones long enough (usually 2 years and change). Maybe Sony Ericsson has really good batteries, since 3 of my 4 phones have come from them.

That's probably it-- I regularly hang on to phones longer than two years. The past two I've owned had batteries that slowly stopped holding a charge over those years. Replacing the battery fixed this.

So what is Apple worried about? I know the hardwired battery has been a design of theirs since the first iPod, but it still makes no sense to me.

Oh, and regarding the lack of video-- I didn't mean YouTube, I meant the lack of being able to take video with the phone's camera. Not a big deal to me, but it is to some.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:02 pm

Oh, and regarding the lack of video-- I didn't mean YouTube, I meant the lack of being able to take video with the phone's camera. Not a big deal to me, but it is to some.

Because everyone is making masterpieces on their cell phone vid cameras. The camera is really nice though best Ive had on a phone. plus now I can take pics and upload them immediately from my phone to a million different places through the new apps. I will be live-blogging with photos from the break room at lunch if any one is interested in chicken salad.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”