Who has IPhones in Madison?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:43 pm

I could live with a 3 week wait. I'd just like to know why non-iPhone owners are being punished for not having an iPhone by not being given the dual benefits granted to iPhone upgraders. Especially since there's a rule change in effect that is a total reversal of policy during the run of the first iPhones.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:05 pm

It's dubious whether "benefit" is the right word. They want to suck all the dollars out of the people who bought iPhones already. In order to do so, they have to at least make the offer appealing. $399+ for a phone that is only marginally better than our current phone, plus $15/month more for the service, is not going to make them any money. For $199, some people are willing to plop down the $. It's really not that great of a deal. The 3G service is not that fast on the iPhone.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:10 pm

'Want' often trumps 'need' with Apple products. I'm thinking the non-extension of contract is the greater benefit.

I grant it's not that huge of an upgrade from iPhone v.1. But I'd happily extend my contract (y'know, AT&T, therefore locking in my customer-dom for even longer, ya fuckin mooks) to get the $200 price. Instead, I get neither for my years of AT&T customer-dom.

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:07 am

fisticuffs wrote:...you plug it in to anything that can charge an iPod which is just about everything.

Just FYI, it turns out that isn't entirely true.

Shortly after buying my iPhone, I tried charging it on my bedside iHome speaker/clock combo, and was greeted with a polite little message on the screen of the phone, saying it couldn't take a charge from this piece of hardware.

So it appears there's no harm in trying it on various devices with a dock interface - but don't be surprised if you find some incompatibilities, especially on older devices that predate the intro of the original iPhone and iPod Touch.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:11 am

I've had hit or miss success with actual music playback but I haven't run into anything that won't charge the phone. I suppose though there are just so many products out there they aren't bound to all work.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”