Who has IPhones in Madison?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Who has IPhones in Madison?

Postby jammybastard » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:51 pm

I'm thinking about getting a 3G and signing up for
ATT service.
Who offers ATT service and sales in Madison?

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:53 pm

You can only get it at the Apple Store or ATT Store. They have ATT stores westside on Mineral point and one by Copps off Fish Hatch. I'd go for it. I love mine.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:54 pm

The 2.0 Software that the 3G will ship with isnt up yet but you can look at the all the new apps through iTunes. Some pretty cool music apps.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:05 pm

I'm sticking with my original iphone. Only $20/month for unlimited data + 200 text vs $35 now. In two years I'll have saved enough to buy a v3 iPhone. I'm also worried it will be harder to jailbreak the new ones.

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:24 pm

WOW!
I just looked at the plans and I may not get one!
Talk about non-competative pricing!
700min family plan for $129?
Right now we get 1000 min nationwide with US Cellular for $100.
Plus what's this shite about unlimited text for $20 a month extra? With US Cell it's included.
Bah!
Might have to pass on this one.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:38 pm

AT&T doesn't have to price competitively. No one else supports the iPhone. Love it or leave it.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:00 pm

US cell can afford to go nuts on pricing since text and air time have always been over priced. its data; the heart of the iphone, that costs ya.

Apple products are not for bargain hunters.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:45 pm

jammybastard wrote:Right now we get 1000 min nationwide with US Cellular for $100.

Oof. Coming from US Cell, I'm guessing you'd love the phone but hate the service. AT&T coverage SUCKS compared to US Cell in this area.

The only people I know who are happy with their AT&T service switched over from Sprint, which is even more dismal around here.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:29 am

I switched over from Verizon and like the AT&T service because it actually works inside of my work building and my apartment. Yeah, verizon is great out in the boonies, better than AT&T, but sucks balls around downtown for some reason.

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:00 am

It is a thing of beauty.

An expensive thing of beauty.

If you've got the scrilla, it will change your life--for real. Especially when hooked up to wifi, it's just totally amazing to have a little computer in your pocket.

Example: you want to go to a new restaurant. Google it, and click the phone number in the results. The phone pops up and you call them to ask about reservations. Make the rezzies, return to google results, Map it launches the mapping app. Now you know where to go.

All of this is happening in a speeding car.

When your plate of food arrives it looks great. Discreetly (these things are *small*) take a picture of it with the iphone camera and email it to your Gmail account with one click.

Of course you can check weather and stocks and everything else too.

Really quite an amazing device. 2.0 is a big improvement as well.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:06 am

Okay, here's the thing. It's not like I didn't know that the iPhone could do all of those things. I've played with it in the store. It's cool.

But you, Kurisutofa-san, have just managed to sell me on it. For real. And I even had to look up what "scrilla" is.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:07 am

Plus you can be an annoying know-it-all anywhere you want.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:12 am

I updated to 2.0 this morning about the same time as the rest of the world and.... not so good. Bricked the thing actually. Will give it another try when I am done with work. Also MobilMe is horrid slow right now. I think Apple just gunked up the intertubes pretty good today.

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:44 am

I know it's a lifestyle choice, and that ATT are going to gouge people while they can because IMHO when the Iphone does go to the wider market it's going to be a firesale.

What kicks my ass is that the monthly charge is more expensive than my Dish Network HD package!
Granted I could write it off as a biz expense at the end of the year, but to lay out that kind of cash ($150 a month for family plan and text) would be pretty extreme for me. I've never thought of myself as cheap or frugal but this had made me rethink that.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:52 am

The original iPhone plan with unlimited Data for 20/month with some text messaging was a steal. Now it's 30 and doesn't include the text but hey you get what you pay for. I don't think there are any cheaper data plans than that. we have two iphones on a 700 minute family plan both with unlimited data and text. 150/month. We have about 2800 roll over minutes currently. It's worth it to me. I was paying 60-80/month on my old plan anyways for one person. Us Cell also goes all roamie on you outside the midwest. if you travel ATT or Verizon are much better choices.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”