Paging Dr. Shipley

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Paging Dr. Shipley

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:35 pm

Hey Ship. So I'm getting a PS3 this weekend. In a trade with some friends of our who's kids just don't play the thing. They are getting our lovely Dell laptop that hasn't been touched in about a year. anyways. What are some necessary titles I need to check out when I get this thing. I'll probably pick up year old version of every sports game as well as GT5. I'm not huge into Shooters although one once in a while is cool. Also I've heard conflicting reports from co-workers about compatibility with PS2 titles although none of them have had troubles with PSOne games.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:07 pm

PS2 compatibility depends on the PS3 and in some cases the title.

You said you don't like shooters, maybe it applies to stealth games too, but Metal Gear Solid 4 is the best game I've played since Half Life 2. Definitely a must own.

People tend to like Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank as well.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:51 pm

I was wondering about Ratchet and Clank. Is it girlfriend friendly? Metal Gear may be one of the exceptions but I certainly wont have 15 shooters in my arsenal.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:28 pm

If you don't have The Orange Box for PC or Xbox already, the Half Life games and Portal are must play. its been slashed to $40 most places.

Ratchet & Clank is short, but fun. I wanna say you can blaze through in under 10 hours, but its very creative with levels and weapons.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is about the best thing exclusive to the console at this point.

Resistance: Fall of Man is probably still the shooter to get. R2 comes this fall, Killzone is next spring. Nicely spaced out, unlike Xbox where we get a new one every damn month.

Lost Planet came to xbox first, but its a PS3 budget title now. Very fun 3rd person action with shooting, platforming, robot fights, and giant aliens on an ice planet. Think Starship Troopers meets Empire Strikes Back.

Personal favorite: Burnout Paradise. arcade racing in an open world, with heavy empahsis on aggression and causing massive car accidents. Free updates are adding more challenges and an island off the shore of the city to race on, paid updates are going to add more cars, motorcycles, and AIRPLANES in the coming months.

On the PS3's download store, look for Everyday Shooter. Its a simple single screen game where every enemy you shoot makes a note on a guitar. By the time your game takes off and you're shooting all over, its a full blown song. Pretty amazing presentation of a somewhat played out genre.

Oh, and Soul Calibur IV comes out at the end of the month. best fighter ever + online + darth vader.

If you want some girlfriend friendly stuff: Rock Band, Lego Star Wars, Pixel Junk Racers.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:01 pm

Got it last night. Got Guitar Hero with it. Not my fav but I'll take it (and Trade it in). Picked up Burnout. I always liked the previous versions. And NCAA Football 08. haven't had a new football game since NFL 2K5. Madden is out in a month so I figured it would be cool to have college around as well on the cheap. So how do I hook up with forons for some hot internet gaming action?

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:29 pm

All my PS3 gaming as been with other people playstions (O.P.P.). As soon as I get my own (hopefully in time for the holiday season) I'll post my network info.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”