Charter Internet Outage?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
Archipants
Forum Addict

Charter Internet Outage?

Postby Archipants » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:25 am

Is anyone else experiencing a Charter internet outage on the west side? My service was not working when I got home yesterday evening... and of course is still not up and running. I am assuming that if there is an outage, it is due to the flooding or lighting. Otherwise, perhaps my modem fried during a lighting strike...

I tried calling their useless support line but after one ring it defaulted to elevator music. No menu choices. No operator. Awesome.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:28 am

Mine was still working in Fitchburg.

Lines are probably clogged with folks reporting the same problem: Keep calling. When you get someone, make a ridiculous demand for an account credit after you exagerate your time on the line and outage.

beenie
Forum Addict

Postby beenie » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Sorry, this got a little long...

Shipley wrote:Mine was still working in Fitchburg.

Lines are probably clogged with folks reporting the same problem: Keep calling. When you get someone, make a ridiculous demand for an account credit after you exagerate your time on the line and outage.

Seriously though? Don't be too ridiculous, and don't be an asshole. And if you choose to do either, you need to hope you don't get someone like me, who when confronted with ridiculous demands for exorbitant credits, depending on poorly you were treating me, would take the amount of time you were down and calculate it to the penny.

Seriously.

I once gave a guy a 22-cent credit for an 8 hour outage ($19.99/mo. dialup - yeah, I'm old) because he screamed/swore/threatened to sue for over 10 minutes over an outage, then told me he was down for 24 hours when his usage log clearly showed he'd only been down for 8. Jackass got a credit for exactly the amount of time he was down. And strangely, after screaming at me for 10 minutes, he was fine with his almost-quarter. Maybe making me feel like shit made him feel better. Who knows?

So don't be too ridiculous, and don't be a douchebag, and you might get a decent credit. Because the chance is great that you'll encounter a rep who is just so damn sick and tired of getting screamed at for hours because of something over which they have no control (and I can guarantee that they're NOT passing your complaint on to a supervisor, because it's nothing the sups themselves haven't already heard 80 times that day). Shit breaks, the techs are working to get it fixed, and the rep you're* screaming at doesn't make enough money to care.

I have been in customer service for years and despite the shitty pay and customer abuse am one of the best reps you'd EVER want to get on the phone. I am nice to everyone (almost to a fault) and will go out of my way to make sure that you as a customer have a good experience with whatever company I'm working for. If you're nice to me... heck, not even nice - if you treat me like a human being and not your own personal servant/punching bag/puppy you want to kick, I'll probably go out of my way to make your experience better. But if you treat me like shit, I'm not going out of my way to help you and you'll get what you deserve - but nothing more. You get terse professional politeness and a credit for twenty two fucking cents.

His loss - if he'd been nice about it, I might have thrown him a fiver.

*hypothetical. Not directed at anyone in particular.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:16 pm

You must be the guy I got when I called TDS last week. A gentleman and a scholar to be sure.

But then I'm nice to people at tech support.

beenie
Forum Addict

Postby beenie » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:56 pm

snoqueen wrote:You must be the guy I got when I called TDS last week. A gentleman and a scholar to be sure.

But then I'm nice to people at tech support.

Heh - I'm a chick, but I actually used to work for TDS. I loved that job, too - the only reason I quit was because it was getting too expensive to have a 110-mile round trip commute (back when I lived in Beaver Dam and worked in the building on Junction Rd., and gas hit $2.50 a gallon).

But thank you for being nice to tech support - life's a lot better when my husband doesn't have a shitty day. :wink:

Return to “Technology & Video Games”