Apple WWDC 08

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Apple WWDC 08

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:47 am

So today's expected to be the big announcement of the 2nd gen. iPhone. I personally have to stick with my old one for now but I am excited about the new software. Any thoughts? wild speculations out there in TDPF land? A tablet PC? an iToaster?

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:52 am

no new hardware. all existing product gets slightly thinner, faster.

iChat for windows.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:00 am

Yeah I'm not expecting any hardware except the phone which is probably already sitting in a box in every Apple store. Been reading about this possible .ME thing taking over for .Mac. I have .Mac and wish it could do more.

meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:07 am

A friend got an iphone for xmas last year and said everything about it was pretty cool except for the actual phone part which he said was kind of shitty. So maybe this time around they've improved on that.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:10 am

Haven't experienced that. The phone sounds fine to me and ATT is very good for not dropping calls. Can't say they have the best coverage around here US Cell has that wrapped up but it's pretty cool to google a business and then just touch their phone number on their website and have it dial. there is no voicemail forwarding though and that kind of blows.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:28 am

fisticuffs wrote:it's pretty cool to google a business and then just touch their phone number on their website and have it dial.

Have that on my Palm Centro.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:56 am

But the Palm only has the mobile web doesn't it? Anyways not gonna argue over phones. I like mine you like yours. Cool stuff on the way in a few minutes though.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:08 pm

fisticuffs wrote:The phone sounds fine to me and ATT is very good for not dropping calls.

My husband's had his for over a year. He loves the phone... hates AT&T. Shitty coverage, frequent dropped calls.

The phone features (interface, legit browsing, big-ass display) make it worth the aggravation for him, but the carrier is a definite downside.

Garimba
Forum Addict

Postby Garimba » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:24 pm

Gizmodo is live blogging WDDC if anybody is that interested (I am).

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:32 pm

macrumorslive.com as well as like 50 others. Very techy so far. A lot on the developement tools. so peaks at some apps and games. Now MobileMe that replaces .Mac. Like Exchange/LiveSync.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:49 pm

fisticuffs wrote:macrumorslive.com as well as like 50 others. Very techy so far. A lot on the developement tools. so peaks at some apps and games. Now MobileMe that replaces .Mac. Like Exchange/LiveSync.

Well it is a developer's conference, not Mac World.

I'd like to see them open the market for mac and ipod games. so much potential for the platform! If apple made a gamepad, they'd line up to build games to support it.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:50 pm

They just did silly. The new phone has GPS and starts at $199.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:11 pm

8GB 3G for $199?

That's pretty much in line with the other mobile phone offerings...

The GPS is a nice addition as well. But will they still be allowed to print the Apple logo on it with that price point?

In any case - being provider-locked (they recently opened up development to 3rd parties - another step in the right direction), it still isn't an option for me. I have US Cellular and I'm not about to abandon the excellent coverage and reception I get.

I do need a new phone though, and I want GPS badly, so I've been looking at the Pearl. I have read that you can install open source stuff on it without too much trouble, so I'll have to keep looking into that. I personally don't see any need or use for a multimedia player on my phone. I'd rather have a smaller phone than one with a crappy camera.

Would much prefer an open-sourced based Android phone that was just built solely on flexibility and custom-made apps, to help decrease the cost.

Honestly though I'd probably buy one if not for the whole AT&T thing...

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:18 pm

And now I read that they'll do pushmail in the Fall.

Nice. At this rate, the iPhone will turn out to be an actual smartphone before the year is up.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:23 pm

That looks like the plan. with complete integration of all things Office and Exchange, a lower price point. easy development for corporate clients. They sold 6 million of the first iPhone in a year world wide. At half the price and all this attention to corporate customers I'd guess at least 10 Million of this one in the first year. And every iPhone and iPod they sell sells them some computers down the road. Time to go buy some Apple stock.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”